main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fans who grew up with the OT-Do any of you actually prefer the PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IKilledSifo-Dyas, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    MM--Don't sell yourself short, young man! You have renewed this 34 year old's faith in the next generation. Please become a doctor so you can take care of my generation when we are old and senile. You are proof of the point I have made in various threads, Star Wars (or ANH, unfortunately for your generation) and Empire Strikes Back are just better films. You don't need to be silly and "kiddie" to appeal to young people. You are the man!:D =D=

2. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002

3. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Let's just hope he doesn't take up that annoying habit of endlessly discussing films he doesn't even like. ;)

4. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    I was born in 1981, and so grew up with star wars on vhs tapes (my mom still has pictures of me as a toddler tapping darth vader on the tv screen with a spoon).

Since I was so young, the Emperor frightened me, the Ewoks were cool, and I found the beginning of A new Hope a little boring as an eight year old.

Anyway- with good hearted optimism did I go to see TPM in theatres on opening day. I honeslty loved it.

It was just afterwards, while speaking with my older and more "mature" friends, that I discovered that jar jar wasn't just an annoying character (which was intended), but a HATED character.

I was shocked- how could people- Star wars fans- actually hate this movie???

Needless to say, my cynicism got the better of me, and I eventually hated the Jar Jar too.

The point of this story is: I WISH I COULD BECOME A KID AGAIN WHEN WATCHING THE PREQUELS.

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Thanks for the laugh.

6. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    No, you're mistaken. Gary Kurtz directed Star Wars. Francis Coppola and Brian De Palma wrote the screenplay, which was based loosely on Lucas' ideas. Irvin Kershner directed The Empire Strikes Back (which was written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan), the single best installment in the series, something which has much to do, I suspect, with George's negligable amount of artistic involvement in the production. Lucas pulled strings in the background, attempting to secure finances.

Kershner took a meager storyline and infused it with visionary brilliance; he was able to take the ideas of the first film and transform them into something very special.

Irvin Kershner is the true author of Star Wars.

Deal with it.

Nope sorry Peter you're mistaken. George Lucas Directed Star Wars! Gary Kurtz produced it. Francis and Brian had nothing to do with it. Irvin didn't make up Empire. And, Lucas is the true author of Star War. Deal with it.

7. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i love peters ideas about star wars veing written and directed by someone else, but even though the prequels suck you can tell lucas is the same man behind them

8. jeromew

jeromew Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    I might prefer the PT (though I don't prefer all PT movies over all OT movies). I like Star Wars because of the jedis. In the OT, we get relatively little jedi stuff. In the PT, we see the jedis in all their glory.

9. Peter_Travers

Peter_Travers Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Gary Kurtz directed Star Wars. It isn't widely documented because Lucas paid him off and took all of the credit; Kurtz even directed some second-unit footage on The Empire Strikes Back. Lucas wrote the outline for all three films, but it was Brian De Palma and Francis Coppola who took those nascent ideas and developed them into a comprehensive, intelligent screenplay. As with Kurtz, De Palma and Coppola signed non-disclosure forms and took percentage deals to disguise the fact that Lucas hadn't actually done very much work on the film. I'm sorry if you choose not to believe it, but that's exactly how it is.

10. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] Is it any wonder, film critics have little or no credibility?????

11. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

[i}Actors regularly perform plays on stage, with few or no props or background.[/i]

Yes. But they are using their own knowledge and imaginations. In the PT they are trying to second guess what cartoony backgrounds and characters Lucas might paste in around them. In a play you see the actor being aware of where they are and what they are doing.
    Lucas doesn't really tell them much either. And when he does he usually changes his mind anyway.

In fact, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid have both praised bluescreen because it makes them feel like they're acting onstage

I think thats pushing it a bit. They have said that they can deal with bluescreen because of their stage experience. Hardly praising.

12. astinus4

astinus4 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    You forgot to mention Lucas paying off every single member of the Star Wars cast and crew to execute this grand conspiracy.... 8-}

Come on Travers is this the best you can do? You've got guts though, I'll give you that. I can't think of too many other people who'd pen their real name to a post on a public forum that's quite obviously defamatory. Can we expect a Rolling Stone article on this subject in the near future?

13. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Gary Kurtz directed Star Wars. It isn't widely documented because Lucas paid him off and took all of the credit; Kurtz even directed some second-unit footage on The Empire Strikes Back. Lucas wrote the outline for all three films, but it was Brian De Palma and Francis Coppola who took those nascent ideas and developed them into a comprehensive, intelligent screenplay. As with Kurtz, De Palma and Coppola signed non-disclosure forms and took percentage deals to disguise the fact that Lucas hadn't actually done very much work on the film. I'm sorry if you choose not to believe it, but that's exactly how it is.

Nope sorry.. You just don't get it? You know theres this room with padded walls on all 4 sides that you belong in.

14. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    peter travers is a little gay new york intellectual, don't pay any mind

15. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    "The Star Wars saga consists of TWO DIFFERENT space fantasy trilogies that together tell the epic rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader."

I think this really makes the saga work better for me. This simple quote.

16. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    How about you suggest we don't pay any mind because you believe he's wrong, and leave the rest out of it?

Judge him by his littleness, gayness, intellectualism, do you? And well you should not. ;)

17. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    It makes sense that those who prefer the PT and gush all over Lucas think that it is bad to be an intellectual. Very telling. The homophobia is no surprise either; unsophisticated opinions come from unsophisticated people, not surprising. And what is wrong with New York? You love it when Lucas calls it Coruscant.

18. Nirnaeth

Nirnaeth Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    =D=

and...actually, I think Peter is right (partly). Lucas directet ANH but I remeber a SW special, I which they interviewed Gary Kurtz, and under the name, they put "ESB director".
    And on the ROTJ poster hanging at my place, it states: directed by Richard Marquand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.