main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tidewater, VA Fantasci

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jediknight88, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hello everyone,

I thought I would post this here since we were a major contributing factor for this event.

I spoke with our library manager, and there has been a major development with regard to FantaSci. At the beginning of the year, the library administration and managers typically lay out an agenda with regard to activities, events, programs, etc. One of the decisions that has been reached, is to discontinue certain long-running events (e.g. FantaSci) in favor of developing new programming ideas. Additionally, programming in general is being scaled down in terms of size. This is in part due to the fact that our larger programs have a dramatic impact on the operation of the facility (e.g. noise, overcrowding, staffing, etc.). With this in mind, the majority of future programming will be limited to the spaces designated for that purpose (i.e. our meeting rooms) - a condition that certainly wouldn't have worked for FantaSci.

On a positive note, the decision to end the program was not reached due to any issues with the subject matter, in fact quite the opposite. There is strong support for the continuance of Fantasmo, and the initiation of new programs with similar themes. The main points addressed came down to the desire to develop new programs, and the need to scale programming back to a more manageable size. I know you and I have discussed the fact that FantaSci seemed to be outgrowing the confines of the library, and clearly that has become a significant issue at the administrative level.

I'll be sending word out to the various groups shortly, but wanted to let you know quickly given the cantina situation. It's certainly going to be strange to have a summer without FantaSci, and I will miss working with your group to put it together. I can't tell you how much I've appreciated all your help over the years in making it a first class event, and despite the cancellation I can assure you the library feels the same way. There's no way FantaSci could have ever reached the level it did without your support. My hope is that others will be prompted to do what you're attempting, and that cons will start to spring up in Hampton Roads to fill the gap. In the meantime we have Fantasmo, and you know I'll be working on getting other programs off the ground (even if they're not FantaSci-sized : ) I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks so much for everything!!!! - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.