Fantastic Four Movies - ***Spoilers Inside***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wonder how the Fantasticar'll look. Probably campy, but hey they get their inspiration from the comics. It just might be a throwback to the 60's.
  2. digitalman2006 Jedi Knight

It would look very weird if they tried to make it look like a mustang gt or a lincoln continental.
  3. JohnNewman Jedi Padawan

Michael Chiklis was brilliant casting.
  4. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    yeah. although i'd have to say my favorite casting for this was Chris Evans as Johnny Storm. he really brought out the character's cocky attitude
  5. marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i really enjoyed the 1st movie,it captured the spirit of the comics perfectly and i loved the cast,especially chris evans-what a joy to see a guy that just thinks its so cool to be a superhero-great job!
  6. Only_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I had so low expectations for this movie and I thought it was an O.K way too waste two hours of my life.;) Some funny stuff but not a movie I would watch more than once.
  7. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    You know, I sorta liked Fantastic Four - not as great as some of its recent counterpart superhero flicks, but I thought there were some things that definately worked. The casting was great (ok, mabe not Alba - but I actually thought she did a decent job).

The story - not the most exciting, but I have to respect the simplicity of it: they didn't go overboard with Mr. Doom, trying to make him suddenly want world domination or extreme wealth: his motives were jealousy and bitterness just like his pre-Doom persona. Like I said, not particularly exciting, but at least more realistic.

And while the final showdown wasn't the greatest, I liked that we got the Fantastic Four working their powers together to take out the baddie. Sorta like in the first XMen movie at Liberty Island: it wasn't the most exciting or action-packed climax, but at least we had the team using their powers together to take out Mags. Corny, maybe, but there's something respectable about the dedication to the concept of teamwork amongst these heroes.
  8. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    the good thing with the sequel is you don't have to worry about the character development for the first hour or so. all you have to do is a backstory w/ the villain if that and then get right into the plot
  9. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Several sites are reporting a 6/15 release date now as opposed to the 7/4 because it doesn't want to go head to head with Transformers. Plus OOTP is 9 days afterwards.

This will be exactly 2 years to the day of the release of Batman Begins. ;)
  10. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    It's actually being moved to fill in a hole left by a now scrapped Ben Stiller/Jim Carrey project.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    either way it's going to have a hard time it looks like with matching the same box office total it did last time w/ the first movie. OOTP will still have steam going after less than 2 weeks of being out and then 2 weeks later you have transformers
  12. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It was a pretty pathetic BO to begin with. I wouldn't think it could beat it regardless of where they put it but I didn't enjoy the first one and I'm still shocked they Green lit the sequel.
  13. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wouldn't call 56 OW / 154 Total pathetic. It practically mirrored X-Men 1. ;)
  14. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Its not in the top ten comic movies.

I wouldn't call it good either :p

Oh, plus X-men was good and FF was... eh...
  15. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I was only weighing it on box office and not context. FF is definitely campy, but still I can watch it once in a while.
  16. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Campy isn't the word I would use but it could certainly apply.

I'd like to see that chart adjusted for inflation (you a premier pass member Moleman?). It mirrored X-men other then opening in 600 more theaters and a full dollar difference in average ticket price ;) :p
  17. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Exclusive: Gruffudd on Fantastic Four 2

Ioan Gruffudd is not only an action star now thanks to Fantastic Four, but he's also a very charitable guy. ComingSoon.net caught up with him and his stunning fiancee Alice Evans, who is also a British actress, at the Vintage Hollywood 2006 charity event in Los Angeles for which all proceeds will go to The Children's Circle, an organization which helps infants and children with HIV.

Gruffudd must have been feeling really generous because not only was he going to bid in the auction at the event, but he gave us an update on what's happening with Fantastic Four 2.

"I paid my ticket and I just wanted to come and support this charity that's all," he told us. "I think the presence of this disease is still enormous around the world and people are suffering with it in our own backyard here even in Hollywood, so I think it's very important that it's still out there and exists."

Stylishly dressed in a Burberry dark blue stripped jacket, a V-neck shirt and jeans, the UK born actor admitted that while he has signed on for the sequel, which begins shooting in Vancouver in late August, he still hasn't seen the script. "I have not seen the script or read it. I don't know exactly what the story line is. I know Jessica Alba has been talking about it quite a bit and I believe that the premise is Silver Surfer is the new character that comes into it."

Although Gruffudd has had some time to adjust to the overwhelming success of the first installment of the "Fantastic Four" series, he still can't believe the film's popularity. "It's fantastic. You know it's beyond our wildest dreams on how it performed in the box office. Obviously personally I'm delighted that we're going back. Hopefully this one will be successful and we'll go back for a third one as well after that."

While he's still in disbelief about the success, he's certain about his character. "I'm sure Reed Richards, Mr. Fantastic is very capable of holding onto his woman," he laughed when I asked if he was worried about the competition over Sue (Jessica Alba) and if he thought he could lose her.

Besides Michael Chiklis, Alba and Chris Evans being brought back to reprise their roles, Gruffudd set the record straight on Dr. Doom -- Julian McMahon, who played the character in the first film, will be back too. "I'm sure he'll be just as ambiguous. Is he on our side or isn't he?"

And although the star confesses he hasn't actually read the comic books, he loves the fans and has been well received by them. "They've been very generous... People either recognize immediately or they don't recognize me at all. The fanatical ones are the ones who run up to you and go crazy. A lot of kids try to come up and pull my arms."

"I hadn't read a single comic book when I was younger so I've come to this completely fresh," he continued. "It's such an amazing world that they've created, you know these Marvel comic book writers. It's just a great fantasy world for us all to go and escape to."

Gruffudd said he can't wait to see his castmates again and he's looking forward to stepping back into the role of Mr. Fantastic. "I think when you revisit something for the second time, it's always more comfortable and comforting. It gives you more confidence and more scope to play around."

Fantastic Four 2 is targeted for a release on June 15, 2007. If you can't wait to see Ioan Gruffudd before then, check him out as Burberry's new model for the company's men's cologne.

For more information on The Children's Circle, please visit ChildrensCircle.org.

18. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So apparently we've got a title now. The sequel is titled (appropriatly enough) "Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer".
  19. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    It's a lame title, but I guess it beats the generic "Fantastic Four 2".

It's a real shame that they're going to ruin another great character like Silver Surfer after ruining Dr. Doom and the FF. I just hope we get a DVD release of the Silver Surfer animated series out of this mess.
  20. CJS Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't know if this is bannable but: QFT [face_worried]
  21. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    As far as I know, "Quoted for Truth" is not a bannable offense. :p
  22. CJS Jedi Knight

star 2
    That's good. I know that "Nice Update" is borderline...:p
  23. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well I'm sure that you'll all also be thrilled to hear that they aren't looking for actors for the character as its (again) going to be handled by a "revolutionary" new CGI.
  24. CJS Jedi Knight

star 2
  25. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    i'm not going to jump to any conclusions before seeing the movie.

i really don't mind that. but obviously you'll need someone for the voice. who could do the voice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.