main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantastic Four Movies - ***Spoilers Inside***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I may go Monday or Wednesday due to work.

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll preface this by saying that I am not a huge comic book fan, but I do like good comic book movies, like Spider Man 1 and 2, and the X-Men series. But I knew nothing about the SS or really anything beyond seeing F4-1 when it came out.....

Don't waste your money on this one. This one is a rental at best, IMHO. While the casting for the Thing and Johhny Storm is spot on, the chemistry between Jessica Alba and Mr. Fantastic is terrible. Worse than the poor chemistry between Anakin and Padme bad. [face_sick] And when she wore glasses, to try to make her look smarter, she just came across as a little California dumb-blonde pretending to look smart --poorly. [face_clown]

Sadly enough, the best "hotness factor" came not from Alba (except when she was covered in flames --and that's sad), was from the Army Captain, and she was in BDUs the whole time. Honestly, Alba was so covered in fake-bake-orange-tan, that she just looked and acted terrible in this movie. Really dissapointing, because wasn't she supposed to be the eye candy?

Galactus and the SS, plus Doom, really all seemed wasted. While the effects were good (sorta), the story was thin, too short, and lifeless. No real character development at all, except for Johhny Storm and the Thing, who really stole the show, as far as I'm concerned. I think it was too short for what they needed to do, and the directing & acting was bad, prequel bad, IMHO.

I can think of a lot better ways to blow $20, that's for sure.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I saw the film just a little while ago and thought it was a major disappointment. A step down from the first film. There was some good stuff in there but there was way to much bad. It seems like all the special effects budget went into making the Silver Surfer and he was fantastic, but everything else seems to suffer. Mr. Fantastic on the dance floor is some of the worst CGI I have ever seen. Just embarrassingly bad. Dr. Doom was underused. The battle between Dr. Doom on the surfboard and the Fantastic 4 in the Fantasticar could have been a brilliant action scene but Tim Story set it at night time so they could try and get by with shoddy CGI. The whole film looked like they were doing it on the cheap. There was no scope or epic feel. I really enjoyed the first film but this was the Blandtastic Bore.

If they make a third film, Tim Story has got to go. The sequel needed to up the ante and he just can't do it.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    22m opening day. Definitely going to be frontloaded. Mark my words. Luckily like the original, I go for free.

5. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was a fun inoffensive popcorn movie with a PG rating. I'd concur the Johnny subplot wasn't developed nearly as much as it could have been. Especially considering it could've been so interesting to see that sort of twist. Johnny being a "freak" or outcast just like Ben was in the first movie. Doug was great as Silver Surfer. Laurence Fishburne did very well with his lines, but it didn't fit the character. Disappointing to see Galactus so minimally used, and the climax was short and relatively uneventful. Still, I enjoyed FF in it's own mildly entertaining way. Better then the first Fantastic Four's CG, and I didn't catch any terrible design/CG problems in terms of meshing, although things were cartoonish at times. Overall, Fantastic Four is meant to be the 'family friendly' super hero offering, and I like that. And Doom's "acquisition" was a fanboy dream come true.

-TJ

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fun flick, much better than the first movie, some good action and whoever it is that played the Surfer himself (the physical surfer in the tarnished makeup and basis for the CGI flying version, not the voice) was absolutely brilliant.

The only downside to the movie is the stuff with Doom has ltitle to do with anything and it seems he was included as an afterthought. It felt like a real distraction from the Surfer/Galactus plotline and was merely an excuse to give the FF something to do.

So long as they keep the same guy to play the Surfer, I can't wait to see what JMS does with the character in his solo film. (aw, who am I kidding, I'm a JMS addict so i'd anticipate it greatly regardless, but it'd be a real smart move to keep the same dude in the role).

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Why didn't they use Doug Jones' voice. This is the same guy who delivered a great performance as Pan (the Faun) in Pan's Labyrinth.

8. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I think part of it was their (needless) concern to have another "celebrity" draw to the film. Laurence Fishburne is apparently more bankable then Doug Jones in their minds. Sad, really. Although they did the same thing in the first hellboy, and gave David Hyde Pierce's voice to Abe Sapien (the fishman).

-TJ

9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, but David Hyde Pierce made more sense as the voice of Abe Sapien than Doug Jones did. But not once did Morpheus convince me in Silver Surfer. I just always had a different voice in my head... Not deep, but more powerful...

But I liked it... And I'm usually pretty harsh on most comic flicks, but this one was action packed gooey goodness. Nothing to think about, and the comedy actually had me snicker a couple times. Other than paper thin plot and characters, I thought it was fun.

As for Galactus, I did dread to see the cloud monster. But I think when Surfer enters the core, and you see the shape of Galactus' helmet, I didn't feel that they redeemed themselves, but it was enough of a shout out that I was calmed. And besides, in the comics, it's known that everybody sees Galactus differently... we just happened to see him as a storm this time.

10. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I'd argue that David Hyde Pierce was merely one way to go. Check out Dougie's voice in Hellboy: Sword of Storms, Blood & Iron... eventually even Hellboy 2. I think his works just fine. Another idea would've been to use Laurence's voice while Norrin was "powered up" and Doug's when the board was taken from him. That way, it would further differentiate the vast power levels involved. Laurence has a much deeper, commanding voice compared to Doug's.

-TJ

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Was disappointed with Cosmic Cloud Galactus(tm), maskless Doom, and "fake bake" Alba. Like the Surfer, loved Vanessa Minillo as Johnny Storm's date (flame-retardant lingerie [face_mischief]), loved the interplay between Torch & Thing, and Reed's response to the "quarterback" comment was absolute pwnage.

And there's no way that Surfer could've taken out Galactus. None whatsoever. Why didn't they go with the comics' version?

That having been said, I like it overall.

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    This is going to fall like crazy. 57 OW. A tad above the original but it wont make the 154 cume.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it depends- the first film seemed to have legs since it was a family-oriented flick. This one still has that but is certainly getting better reviews on top of it, so it's hard to say.

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Ratatouille next week
    Transformers the week after and HP the week after that. It's gonna drop.

15. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i disagree about surfer vs galactus. that is the great thing about heroes and villains. on any given day one will beat the other. comics are not the movies. you have to allow for visual storytelling in the film medium. the power to beat galactus came not from the board but from the surfer's newfound belief in himself. that is what gives us hope and makes us human. at that moment, the surfer became a part of humanity.

16. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    It's going to Die Hard.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Seriously FF is going up against two family films the next two weekends, Evan Almighty and Ratatouille. It will take big hits from both films and Transformers will finish it off.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Believe it or not, but I liked Fantastic Four. I was better than the first and one of the better superhero movies.

18. Wizewan

Wizewan Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2007
    I agree, I liked it for what it is. A fun Summer movie[face_peace]

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I didn't think it'd be as fun of a movie.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Didn't like it. The plot wasn't developed at all and the characters weren't very developed or interesting. I felt like I was watching an episode of the Adam West Batman.

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I still don't like any of the main characters. I didn't in the first movie. But I love Silver Surfer and Fantasticar

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Watch the EE of the first movie. It totally changes the movie in quite the positive way.

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    What did they add?

24. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I saw it today with my nephew and I have to say I enjoyed it, in a live-action cartoon kind of way I feel sorry for big fans of the Fantastic Four because if I was a big fan I'd be mad as hell because compared to the likes of X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and Superman Returns, the Fantastic Four movies are really very poor and are nothing more than live action cartoons so I feel for the fans.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It's mid-range marvel. The series is acceptable for the subject matter IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.