main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Three's literally no reason for FFG's products to not be vetted by LFL at this point. The Story Group worked on TOR's expansion content, yet there's no clarification. When is this group going to do actual work?

2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Only two wings? The empire would have been better off, if it had kept the Venators in service (432 fighters or six wings). Ansel Hsiao envisioned the Secutor-class to have six-eight wings when he came up with the design. Since each of the hangar-bays is twice the size of that aboard an ISD and ISDs can carry two wings of fighters if modified, eight wings or more shouldn't be a problem.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Which is still very doubtful any ever got ;)

Of course it would not, if they had the fighters to spare and threw out the utility and support ships.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not only that, but it also has room for "the usual complement of Imperial Army walkers, troopers, armored fighting vehicles and assorted materiel: enough to easily lay siege to a planet."

King of Alsakan and Gorefiend like this.
  5. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    With an entire galaxy to plund.., I mean to tax and recruit from and being responsible to no-one the GalacticEmpire should have no fighters to spare? If that were true, why design and build the bloody things in the first place when an ISD with support-ships could do the same job?

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes precisely because said galaxy is a really really really big place to protect.

I have asked that very question since these designs somehow made it into canon, but then the Empire was never know for practical military spending, though the fact that they are said to be really, really rare pretty much speaks for itself here.

7. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    And yet they could garrison something like Elrood-sector with more than a million troops.

Or they see a need for them, there is no shortage and all claims to the contrary are rebel-propaganda to not demoralize the troops.
    I agree, that the galaxy is a really large place to occupy and patrol and while I agree, that the GE might not have enough ships to properly patrol every corner of it, I would at least assume that those ships that it has are fully equipted (as long as they are not some obsolete designs at the ass-end of nowhere).

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Which really is nothing, the planet alone has 6 billion inhabitants, plus troopers are a lot easier to come by then wings of TIEs fighters.

Or the Rebels are in fact overestimating the capacities of the Empire and the situation is even worse. ;)

Funny enough an out in the nowhere ship would have more use for a TIE wing then such prestige boats deployed in the heart of the Empire, since it is the place where the Rebels and other trouble makers actually are. Or even if you actually send them out with a fleet, the recon and skirmish lines would also be the better location for the TIEs, since when you actually bring in the big ships to hit a big target, the rest of the fleet will be there anyway to deploy them.

9. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That's what I would have expected. Then again, as mentioned, there could be multiple different fighter complement combinations depending on the mission.

Grateful that FFG is using Fractal's designs and making new ones. I hope the Assertor, Mandator, Bellator, classes and maybe a few new ones show up as Armada gets spun up. Maybe come up with a nice stolen/defected Corellian battleship for the Rebels to use.

10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No doubt, however, they are filtered through what was approved via the EGTW.

I was hoping for more from some of the 'unknowns' - like the Alliance capital ships from the old Rebellion video game - but it is to be expected that the sourcebook for the Ace class have only carriers for their capital ships. I was impressed at the number of classic starfighters, though (although people on the FFG boards have expressed annoyance with the inclusion of the TIE Interdictor). A shame that we didn't get the V38 finally - although it did take, what, over a decade for the 'common medium cruiser' that the Interdictor-class was based on to finally get a name? [face_laugh]

I'm hoping we'll get a 'sector' sourcebook for AoR soon (considering the second EotE one is coming next month) - I would presume somewhere that would be a 'hotbed' of Imperial vs. Rebel activity, like the Gordian Reach or Atrivis Sector. (I would love for a Corporate Sector or Tion Cluster sourcebook, but those are much more likely to show up in EotE than AoR)

King of Alsakan likes this.
  11. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
  12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    "I have asked that very question since these designs somehow made it into canon"

Why are minimalists always concerned with new things in SW, when WEG had no problem inventing starfighters and freighters for every single sourcebook? It's mind-boggling how inconsistent you people are.

13. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Especially since most of those designs have been around since DarkEmpire. I guess the problem for many is not the designs themselves, but their origin. If they had originated in an RPG or a game by LucasArts (like Sovereign and Vengeance-class Dreadnoughts or the Sarlac-project) there would be no complaining.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    As I have said before - new things that are actually new are great.

Endless streams of flying pizza slices that are even bigger with even more guns with an even more obscure Latin name are more than a little tiring. As, for that matter, are endless TIE fighter variations.

I do miss the times back when the Empire would be given things like the Strike Cruiser or the Assault Gunboat when their forces were expanded.

15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    No one complains of the freighters that are all Falcon-expies, though. I would like to see more variation in designs, but in a galaxy that's mainly explored and with interstellar trade and relations, it's hard to get truly unique design families.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] That's certainly one way to throw down the gauntlet before the modern fleet junkies...

MercenaryAce and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi, I'm Jello. You may remember me from such posts as "SWTOR is really derivative in its designs" and "oh look, there's another ship identical to those seen thousands of years later."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Although flying pizzas are preferable to all the funny-shaped creations of the Legends-verse (like Dreadnought-class heavy cruisers, Carrack-class light cruisers, Corellian gunships, the designs from CTD, ect. ...).

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The OT invented Nebulon-Bs and Mon Cal cruisers so I don't know where you get off criticizing the EU for its "funny-shaped creations" in comparison :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Correction: Mon Cal cruisers are some of the best looking ships designed in the OT. You gotta admire the model makers, as they had to make these models from scratch, as opposed to "kit bashing" and borrowing off the shelf parts.

I actually love the look of the Medical Frigate as well. Yes, the spar makes it super vulnerable, but from a purely visual standpoint it is a unique and lovely ship.

--Adm. Nick

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Seems like you left out a word there, unless you're implying that eight or so ISDs can link up to form a Super Star Destroyer Flying Disc....

Hmmm.... the merchandising on this would be through the roof. Get Disney on the line! [face_laugh]

Thumper09 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, I didn't say they were poorly designed. I said they were "funny shaped." That is objectively true, unless you think lumpy pickles are normal. :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Pizza vs. hamburger, then.

25. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    While FractalSponge can go a bit overboard with the big gun-covered wedges, his more constrained work is some of the most impressive SW ship design I've seen.
    I'm also a huge fan of the Nebulon-B in the "Ugly/Beautiful" awards.

MercenaryAce and Valin__Kenobi like this.