main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Sweet Jesus, that is the Home One picture I have been waiting decades for. EPIC! nice to see those forward turbolasers blazing away! :D

--Adm. Nick

2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    That's very disappointing to hear that Thrawn got shafted.

Guess they figured he wasn't as recognizable.

bookmarking that artist

3. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Thrawn shafted for Lando? Who was that again? :confused:

Darth_Henning likes this.
  4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  5. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
  6. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Oh good, my preorder should be shipping then. Really excited to get it.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    just got the MM email that my order has shipped. Should be here Friday.

Would preorder Wave 2 ships, but Forgeworld is about to release a Warlord titan, and that has dibs on my kidneys.

Darth_Garak and King of Alsakan like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's interesting to look at the ships "in person" - see just how small the Gladiator looks next to the Victory, and so forth.

Using the Wave 2 400 pt limit, the Imperial fleet with the most hit points seems to be Admiral Motti and 5 unmodified VicStar I-class ships (50 hit points total) and the Rebel fleet with the most hit points seems to be Bel Iblis, 2 Nebulon-Bs (support refit) and 7 Corvettes (B model) - at 38 hit points total.

I'm not sure how good such fleets would be though - or if starfighters and upgrades are good enough to make smaller fleets better than big ones.

9. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I got both yesterday and I was thinking the same exact thing. Plus I never thought I would see the day where both would be something I could purchase in the first place. I sure hope they make a Wave III.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    My prediction for Wave III - more Imperial and Rebel starfighters (either as 3 ship squadrons or "one ship squadrons") - for the various X-Wing Miniatures ships that don't already have Armada models out or on the way.

TIE Defender, TIE Punisher, TIE Phantom, and perhaps either the Decimator or the Lambda (two of each squadron) in an Imperial Fighters box,

Headhunter, E-wing, K-wing, and something else - Scum & Villainy Scyk maybe?, (two of each squadron) for a Rebel Fighters box.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Makes sense for the Gladiator to be small. I'm curious to see exactly how big the ISD and MC80 are.

Honestly, I tried out the base game, and my Neb-B and Corvette mauled the VSD without taking any damage in 5 turns. Not sure if I did somethingwrong with the rules (will have to watch their videos), but more ships seems to be better than one big one (much like X-wing)

I think a Wave III is garunteed. The question is how many after that. Depends if the game catches on as well as X-wing did or not. No way to know yet.

At the very least they're going to want to get an SSD and Liberty-Type MC80 out there sometime.

Iron_lord and King of Alsakan like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While this is a composite image (using the shield dials as a guideline) rather than a real one: it should be about right:

http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial-class_Star_Destroyer_Expansion_Pack

Comparison of two large-sized ships (Imperial-class Star Destroyer, left, and MC80 Mon Calamari Cruiser, right) against a medium sized ship (Victory-class Star Destroyer, center).

[​IMG]

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I hope a wave 3 sees Interdictors- the Immobilizer 418 and the CC7700, an Imperial Dreadnought cruiser, Rebel Battle Horn bulk cruiser/carrier
    Agree with the ideas for Iron Lords fighter packs. I'd put the Nova Courier as a large ship in the rebel pack

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Shuttle size" ships could probably get a pack to themselves - as with the Rogues & Villains pack.

Lambda, Decimator, Skipray, Assault Gunboat, YE-4 Gunship etc

vs

Nova Courier, X4 Gunship, etc

Allowing more fighter-scale ships in the "fighter squadron" packs. Perhaps the TIE Hunter or something similar for the Empire, and the A9 Vigilance for the Rebels?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    It seems like it has been unusually quiet for FFG rpg announcements recently. Maybe gearing up for post-TFA announcements soon-ish?

16. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    To be fair, they did just put out the Beta for F&D not terribly long ago, they're probably focused on finishing up the Core Rulebook, GM screen, and Beginner game for that right now, then moving on to the supplementals again.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep, the pre-orders for the F&D products have been showing up regularly on CoolStuff's updates. Currently they have:

F&D Beginner game - May or June
    AOR Desperate Allies (class book) - June
    AOR Strongholds of Resistance (location sourcebook) - 2Q
    F&D Core - 3Q
    F&D GM kit - 3Q
    F&D Chronicles of the Gatekeeper (adventure) - 3Q

I wish there was something new announced for Edge of the Empire, though.

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I suppose that's still a pretty good list of upcoming books. It just seemed like for awhile there, they were announcing a new supplemental book every week. Makes sense that going into F&D, the others would be a little quiet. I imagine they are also under the same restrictions as the other licensees as far as what they can announce for the fall.

19. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Have they filled out all the classes for EotE yet? If so they may be taking a break to ramp up F&D and fill out AOR to similar levels first then move forward with the products in more of a lockstep in volume produced.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, they still don't have books for Bounty Hunter and Technician.

21. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Ah. Good to know. Didn't have stuff to hand to check.

Then I would guess we'll probably see those in the fall/winter this year.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm guessing that they will have a few more location books for EOTE - Corporate Sector at the very least.

I know that they said they did get the rights to do Ep7 in their renewal of the license, but I can't imagine an RPG setting until at least a few years from now. I'm still making the prediction of a Clone Wars setting first - regardless of the popularity (or lack thereof) in the general fandom, I know RPGers would be very interested in it. Or something worked out with the MMORPG for a pen-and-paper version.

23. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I don't think the Clone Wars is really particularly unpopular in the Fandom. I think the problem is that when you actually aggregate all the Obi-wan/Anakin/Ahsoka stories that have been written, they cover a few days shy of 80% of all the possible days during the war with the currently established dates per the Essential Guide to Warfare once you account for interplanetary travel time (did it for my timeline) Their stories are overdone.

Stories of OTHER people during the war would be far more interesting, and I think well received.

I suspect that FFG will be sticking to the classic trilogy and Bantam Era LEU material for the next few years before diving into the sequel trilogy once more is known in movies, spinoffs and books. I don't see Clone Wars on the horizon from them for a good long time. (But I have been wrong before)

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You don’t need a Clone Wars Sourcebook for the FFG Game, you can easily do the few interesting plots possible within that time with the base books.

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Clone Wars-era is over-saturated. It was over-saturated for years before the tv show and the show lasted six seasons on top of that. What we need more is other eras getting attention. With the canon reset, they're developing the OT-era and the post-ROTJ-era first. I love seeing more small screen and big screen stuff on the OT-era, given the Clone Wars have a huge head-start in comparison.