main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Gah, I left it in the car - but from what I remember, typical FFG - that is to say, very good.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

What? No Royal Starships?! :p Though I guess it would actually count as a Space Transport. I sadly could not get a copy because they had sold out at my local store and I forgot to reserve a copy, though guess I will order one online.

3. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Illustrations: Oh, they are a plenty. One of my favorites: an illustration for the "Bad Press" talent where a reporter with a hovercam is recording a stormtrooper squad smacking down locals. There's an Imperial officer pointing a blaster at a Gran who looks like he's talking his way out of the situation. Oh, and a Wookiee negotiating, i.e. smashing a table.

Starships:
    Baudo-class star yacht
    Curich-class shuttle
    J-type diplomatic barge
    MC-18 light freighter
    Kappa-class shuttle

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Baudo-class, nice! Surprised that the C-3 liner didn't make it in, though.

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Baudo was also in Far Horizons so I am not that surprised that it showed up again and with the Indulgent they already have a big star liner covered.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm guessing that's the Skysprite from Survivor's Quest - two-seat Aethersprite?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I finally played Armada. First did the tutorial to get the swing of it. Thank God I have a buddy who has a knack for figuring our game rules & mechanics, I'm not sure I could have figured it out on my own. It as quite an experience! Details below.

Playing as the Rebels, I deployed an Assault Frigate Mk.II A, two standard Nebulon-B frigates, a standard CR90 corvette, Wedge Antilles X-Wing, Tycho Celchu A-wing, a standard A-wing, a Y-wing, and B-wing. My buddy deployed a VSD II, two Gladiator-class Star Destroyers, a TIE Advanced, two TIE Bombers, one TIE Interceptor, and three TIE Fighters. Thusly, we deployed our ships and commenced battle.

We didn't get as tactical as I'm sure we will eventually get, as we were still learning and really just wanted to get into firing range. My Assault frigate and two Neb-B's moved to the center, with the corvette on the flanks. He chose to hold his VSD at long distance firing range and instead charge in with his two Gladiator-class Star Destroyers. My fighters engaged his, while he chose to use his fighters against my Neb-B's. In the end, my squadrons savaged his, destroying all of them. My squadrons all survived, albeit with reduced numbers. I destroyed one Gladiator-class and knocked out the shields on another, plus managed to damage the VSD from behind, but I lost all three frigates.

General observations:

1. As always, your luck rolling the dice helps, but they developed mechanics to help alleviate this.
    2. Your initial moves are CRITICAL. By that, I mean that once your cap ships are tangled it is impossible to move quickly into new firing arcs, so choose well!
    3. Rebel capital ships are designed to fire at a distance. The Gladiator, as close range, is a brutal opponent.
    4. VSD II is a solid ship, though if you get behind her she is a weak target. Good long range ship though.
    5. Rebel assault frigates are tough. Mine lasted until the final round, suffering repeated barrages. But they lack the advantage of black dice, which are close range and deal the highest probably of damage.
    6. Neb-B frigates, if deployed at range, as surprising solid. But don't get exposed one your broadside, they have weak shields.
    7. The CR90 is a plucky ship. My only complaint is that they should be better at killing fighters.
    8. As to be expected, Rebel squadrons have an advantage over Imperial ones. Wedge is a beast!
    9. Fighters, even Rebel ones, can hurt capital ships, but not as much as you might think. It would still be fairly tough to do that, unless you have several squadrons and they are not harried by enemy squadrons.

The game takes a fair amount of time. We didn't attempt to use the bonus cards, as we were focused on learning the basics. Defense tokens are cool to use, plus I love the command dial system. Another example of you having to think a few moves in advance, giving tactics value.

I think the thing that strikes me the most about the game is how tactics are important and the mechanics have helped make luck of rolling less important. Though, admittedly, my luck of rolling was atrocious last night. My poor Assault Frigate, positioned brilliantly, was shooting like crap thanks to my luck. :p It was comically bad, but my buddy & I had a good laugh. I can only assume it was crewed by Elomin. ;)

Can't wait for the next wave of expansions. The ISD looks crazy strong on the bow firing arc, though apparently my beloved MC80 is wickedly deadly at medium & long range. The MC30c and Imperial Raider look cool, but I want me some big ships!

My hat goes off to Fantasy Flight Games. It is a joy to play, the variables allow for very unique fleets & battles, and overall it was a fun night! :D

--Adm. Nick

P.S.

I typed this on my iPad, so apologies in advance if I have more typos than normal.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Actually it really should not be, it has a blind spot the size of half the ship ;)

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I remember playing Rogue Squadron and Rebel Strike on GameCube and watching CR90 corvettes plunge suicidally against Imperial Star Destroyers.

Often exploding to be fair. Especially the one commanded by an idiot that deployed between the two Star Destroyers in Rogue Squadron, absolutely no way of saving that...

... and then a CR90 rammed into the bridge of an ISD in Rebel Strike and I immediately felt bad for such terrible thoughts.

Sent from the World

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there's the wave of suicide corvettes in the final Alliance battle in Balance of Power that end up essentially destroying the SSD once you take out the bridge shields...

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm fairly sure an SSD would simply 'look' at a CR90 and it would vanish into stardust, but stranger things have happened. Wasn't it bomb laden Dreadnaughts in the Imperial version?

Sent from the World

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    SSDs were only 8km back then, so it was more plausible. :p

[face_mischief]

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In XWvTF? I think it was three bomb filled dreadnaughts to take down the shields, a bomb filled corvette to take out the bridge, then a wing of B-Wings to finish the ship off.

Seems a tad overkill in my opinion, but it is a suitably epic finish to a campaign.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Dreadnaughts shouldn't have even dented the shields, considering three ISDs decanted straight into Executor's shields in Classic Star Wars. Just imagine the kinetic energy involved, bombs couldn't compare.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Though those did not have their own shields up, nor where they rigged as bombs.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I would either attribute that to the Executor being protected by planetary shields or by some quirk of hyperspace than to say that an SSD can shrug off being hit with three massive objects at near lightspeed. Otherwise, it shouldn't be possible to kill an SSD at all.

AdmiralNick22 and Vthuil like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Or the Vengeance was an 8km SSD... ;)

Sent from the World

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Or the ISDs struck a glancing blow

King of Alsakan likes this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll need to check my old notes, but I could have sworn that they were CR90s, not Dreadnaughts. In any case, it was one right after the other, suicide runs with the ships laden with massive explosives, and it's really the 'bridge shield' that's being taken down (although that's immaterial for the gameplay) - or at least reduced to about 2%. You still have to physically destroy the SSD - no cheating by flying your A-wing into the bridge.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...a planetary shield on, what, Yavin IV? :p

Not like the Rebels were donating shielding to the Imperials out of charity.

And yes, this is what happens when you have a completionist EU like we used to. Every source counts, even the old weird ones that didn't put thought into these things :p

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I could have sworn that happened at Fondor. [face_blush]

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's some cool art. It still boggles my mind we're getting K-wing stuff, of all things.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Looks like not only is the K-Wing still going with the incorrect appearance, it has stolen the SLAM from the Missile Boat. Thanks K-Wing.