main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol I'd forgotten about those! I used to always imagine them looking like that, in the good old days.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They just make a model kit:
    [​IMG]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Are those based on any illustrations, like from WEG or something? They remind me a lot of BSG's Vipers :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Sadly WEG never showed Mark 1 Headhunters :/

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I thought WEG did:
    [​IMG]

And then there is this interesting variant:
    [​IMG]

And on the fan side of things:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah the WEG ones look right to me ... I just happened to read the passage in Wedge's Gamble over lunch which mentions that the triple blasters were wingtip mounted, meaning that the fan model posted above is wrong.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Afaik those are IRDs

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, the caption for the picture indicates they are the original Z-95s - the IRDs have a separate illustration a couple pages back in the sourcebook.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Now that you mention it... just means WEG was even more awesome :D

10. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Not seeing 'swing-wings' there, but I'll take it.
    Of course, how those and AF4s are both Z-95s is another question entirely.
    Probably about as related as a 1964 Ford Mustang and a 2013 Ford Mustang. :p

11. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I used to think that too, actually.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Myself as well. Very similar designs. More similar than these to later Z-95s anyway

Something else I have also wondered about. I wonder how long they were making Z-95s anyway. Maybe long enough for the above to slowly but surely morph into what we know? Though, if so, then it would be strange for X-Wings to be a separate class.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Z-95ers are already considered an older design by TMP and the AF4 was the last design model by Incom/Supro which split their partnership in 22 BBY after some 150 years of cooperation. Though people kept building variants and knock offs later on (the Grand Army Z-95er is properly one of those variant designs, though could already have been ordered when the Clone Army was being trained). Also since we know Ashgard was part of the design team and properly born sometime around 70 BBY and likely at earliest in his 20es when helping finishing the Z-95er, around ~ 50 BBY seems likely for the introduction of the Mark 1. The X-Wing was build without Supro and the S-Foils considered a rather drastic innovation to the design, so likely the reason they called it something else, whilst it really seem to still just be a redesigned Z-95er.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The short story "The Crystal" implies the original run was around 37 BBY, but there were already newer versions by 34 BBY. At least one source noted that the main Alliance fleet didn't use the Mark Is.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm 15 years sound kind of short for how widespread they are, though granted it is the period were everyone and their mother was busy stockpiling weapons.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    We could easily retcon the Crystal and Seti Ashgard's invomvelemt to not be the original swing wing Mk I, but various newer versions of the Z-95. And it is possible that the design grew so much that it was effectively several different designs with just a similar shape and style sharing a name for brand recognition, like how the F/A-18E/F Superhornet is still a F/A-18, despite only sharing the forward fuselage with the A/B model.

17. OutlawTorn

OutlawTorn Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi! I'm new here, but just as interested as you guys in Star Wars RPG systems!

Damn... I was pretending to start a Star Wars: Saga Edition campaign this Winter. I was gonna buy a ****load of miniatures, some cool tiles for mapmaking, books(my players aren`t that well informed about the SW Universe!) but... *sigh*... I was looking through the Beginner's Set of this new system from Fantasy Flight and I must say I was really impressed with the quality of their stuff! The price is also very cheap( around 20 bucks I think) which was another thing that tempted me to buy it!

Now I'm confused about spending a load of money in Saga Edition stuff if I could just wait a lil bit more and buy stuff from this new system.

I must ask: Has anyone bought/played/ had any contact with the Star Wars material published by Fantasy Flight ? You guys think it's worth waiting till the end of the year, to see if the system is good enough?

Lemme know through here or send me a PM, pretty please :) !

Ta!

18. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've played the beginner adventure. Be aware you don't have the full rules, just enough for this adventure and to get an idea of how this works. Personally I found it to be very fun.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    FFG is worth it for the artwork alone.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Sage Edition is not really worth it, as D20 in general is a pretty terrible playing system, at least imho. The FF rules are easy to use and intended to leave the GM a lot of fudge room, so I would rather recommend it (once it comes out that is, as it is still in Beta) then Saga, though if your really willing to sink tons of money into it, try to hunt down D6 instead as it is simply awesome to play. :)

OutlawTorn likes this.
  21. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Trimmed to the essential part and QFT. I don't even play RPGs or card games, but WEG and Decipher remain without peers. FFG appears to be working hard to catch up, though. :p

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

What I especially interesting is that FFG seems to favor the players having Fringe characters, not Rebels like WEG would usually take, or Jedi like WOTC seemed to always wanted people to play and also like WEG it focuses on the Rebellion Era.

23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    got core rulebook and gamemaster screen today... absolutely WOW

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Core Rulebook is out at last? How's the flavor text? How's the art?

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    textflavor: well spiced!
    art: Fleetjunkies will kill to see it! and that I really mean!

BRANDNEW GALAXY MAP and information *nerdgasm*

will post a detailed full review to the sw sourcebooks facebookpage as soon as I am done with reading that gem of a book!

Cronal and Gorefiend like this.