main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What ships & quantities did you buy Wes?

--Adm. Nick

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    For this order, 2 ISD, 2 Raider, 1 Gladiator, 1 Home One, 1 MC-30, 1 R&S pack. Currently focusing more on my Imperial fleet.

Currently I have:
    2 VSD
    1 Gladiator
    2 CR90
    2 Neb-B
    1 AF2
    2 Imperial Fighters
    2 Rebel Fighters

I also have 2 orders with MM containing X-Wing wave 7.5 and 8 stuff that includes another Starter, another CR-90, Neb-B, AF2, and R&S pack to even out my Rebel fleet some.

AdmiralNick22 and Darth_Garak like this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You need to order more MC80 Star Cruisers. :p

My current fleet is as follows:

x2 VSD
    x2 Gladiator-class
    x2 Assault Frigate
    x2 Neb-B
    x3 CR90
    x1 Rebel Fighters
    x1 Imperial Fighters

I haven't decided how many of the new wave I'm gonna buy. Definitely two MC80 cruisers. Not just because I like them, but because I need some heavier Rebel ships. I've struggled to win playing as the Rebels, as those VSD's and Gladiators are vicious at close range. Sure, my fighters have the advantage, but my CR90's aren't that tough and my assault frigates lack the hitting power I needed. Right now, I'm leaning towards orders two MC80's, one ISD, one Raider, and two MC30c frigates, plus the R&S pack.

--Adm. Nick

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I almost got to play my first Armada game last weekend, only to discover that I don't have a big enough table for it. d'oh. :(

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Seriously, you need a lot of space to play! People underestimate how much space the game takes up. Sure, the battle map is like 3x3, but you need space for all your ship cards, command dials, icons, tokens, etc. My entire dining room table is used to play the game!

--Adm. Nick

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dang. Okay, I only have a small fold-out table for gaming space. I don't need much more than that. I should rectify that.

Problem is, there's not much occasion to play since it's only two player, right? We usually have much bigger groups for board game night, and Armada was only on the table (lol) last week because of cancellations.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You can play up to four players. According to the rules, you can have two commanders for each side, though you still designate an overall commander. I did this not long ago. My buddy Mike & I split the fleet in half and each commanded a task force. The other way is to designate one player the capital ship commander and the other as the fighter commander. That is what I plan to do tomorrow when we all get together to play.

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh! Well then, that might put it back on the table then. I didn't know that.

Is it possible to do that with just the ships in the starter set or do you need more? I just have the starter + an upcoming ISD, but that's just imbalanced.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    A starter set alone will get you to a 200 point game with some fighters and upgrades. 300 points is the current standard, but it will go up to 400 when wave 2 drops. A Starter + ISD and MC-80 will allow both sides to build 300 point lists pretty easily, with some variety thanks to upgrade choices.

Group play is easy, since the ships come with some number tags you can put on the bases, and activation is done by ship- Rebels activate one ship, then the Empire, then the Rebels again, then Empire again (or vice versa depending on which side has the initiative) so even odd numbers of players works fine as long as the sides are even in points. Say one rebel player and two Imperials- the Rebel gets their activations like normal, while the Imperial players choose which of the two will activate when it is the Imperial step.

I would lean against the Fleet commander/fighter commander idea, because Fighters are limited to 1/3 of your fleet, have their own phase after the capital ships act, but can be activated by a capital ship taking the squad action.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do people think of Force and Destiny?

11. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    More Jedi/Sith stuff? Meh.

Ooh, My Wave 2 shipment changed from FedEx to USPS, and delivery update changes from "by Dec 4" to "By EoD Nov 30"

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    New Jedi and Sith stuff though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

podjazd likes this.
  13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, but more Jedi/Sith stuff means less Age of Rebellion and Armada wave 3. Jedi/Sith means we all lose.

Abadacus likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Technically, the jedi/sith stuff is a lie.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I've heard from a very reliable source that it's true. All of it.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Lord Broodika is still an epicly silly Sith name... And I've still not gotten over the Chandrila tomb retcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Nothing but Legends.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    lol exactly the same for my ISD. We must have the same source. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    It was probably shipped FedEx SmartPost, which has FedEx doing the transporting and then handing it off to your local Post Office to make the final delivery. It's a cheap shipping method, but one often fraught with peril (and lost packages... though I'm sure you'll be fine ;) ).

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, that part I'm familiar with. What amused me is that our delivery estimates were exactly the same, in addition to the shipment method.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

edit: It's a.... Black Friday miracle! My ISD is now arriving tomorrow. :D

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Miniature Market is awesome. Did you manage to grab some of the half price Armada and X-wing ships they had for Black Weekend?
    Tracking says my box is here in town. Does USPS do Saturday deliveries?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I got it from Coolstuffinc. But I guess somehow our deliveries ended up being similar.

My tracking says it's "out for delivery" today via USPS.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, I caved and bought the next Armada Wave. :p

x1 ISD
    x1 Raider corvette
    x2 MC80
    x1 MC30c
    x1 R&S

I bought two MC80's to give my Rebel players a better chance against the various Star Destroyers the Imperial player can field. I'm kinda excited about the MC30c frigate, mostly in the suicide role described on the FFG site. Heavy torpedo barrage, weaken the ISD, and my MC80's finish off at medium range. :D

It would be cool if they chose to make the MC80 Liberty-type cruisers as well, but I cannot think of any justification to include them, other than for visual purposes. I mostly want them so that my fleet matches the movies, but that would necessitate the inclusion of the MC80 wingless and Dornean gunship. I can actually see FFG releasing the Dornean gunship, but not the other two MC80 types.

My main hope is that TFA unveils some Resistance capital ships, so that a future wave can include ships from the new movie. Of course, the Finalizer-class Star Destroyer is so ugly I'm not sure if I could force myself to buy it, other than as a target.

--Adm. Nick

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Then move in closer and engage at point blank range!

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No ISD today. Post office was unable to deliver. Didn't even leave a note. I am outraged.