main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I would have thought the same thing. As mentioned above, throughout the Legends Old Republic there are examples of PSF's being independent from the Republic military forces like in the era before the Clone Wars. Since the PSF's were not nationalized till later in the Clone Wars, the Maelstrom-class could be something specifically designed for the Republic Navy and be its largest ship at the beginning of the war. Due to that fact, I would think it could be any size within the battlecruiser range as compared to the Mandator, Procurator, Praetor, or whatever one time experimental, trophy, and other possible PSF dreadnought or battlecruiser classes there could be out there. I think something akin to the Subjugator-class would be appropriate.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes! There's a quite stunning one of a MC80A in action.

Various sources had the KDY big ships as local defense forces only - they wouldn't have been part of the Republic Navy until Palpatine nationalized the PDFs late in the war. The Bulwark-class was a later development as well, and was only 1 km in length anyways - the Maelstroms were probably still bigger.

Edit: King_of_Alsakan beats me to the punch!

They were said to predate the Executors, and I imagine that any further production was curtailed to work on them.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mandator - Sarlacc - Assertor - Executor - Eclipse seems a natural progression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackmyron and King of Alsakan like this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What is the MC80A facing off against?

--Adm. Nick

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Not actually shown - whatever ships it's fighting is off the edge of the picture.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Is it the pic in the bottom right?
    [​IMG]

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Official literature seems to be incapable of picturing different designs for different roles. Instead we are supposed to accept a linear progression of a single design, with all things within the next incarnation being the same, only bigger. :mad:

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Do they have superlasers - or has that idea been dropped?

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, although it does appear to be part of a larger picture - the only other ships seen are some other Alliance vessels in the background.

Nothing mentioned about a superlaser.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Have FFG books been used for Legends articles before? If so, maybe these Assertor and Maelstrom details could be used for them.

11. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah that is frustrating to me too. I hate the linear progression in ship size, and not having a wide variety of warships filling different roles. I really liked the notion from EGTW where as technology changed either larger warships or smaller more maneuverable warships won the day. I would love to see that get incorporated in the new canon, having multi-mile warships in dominating in one century and then 400 to 600 meters ships in the next.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What's that coin thing?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Cool cards! Those were special releases, right? Any good shots of the MC80 command cruiser's card? I must confess, seeing an MC80 dish out that sorta firepower at an ISD makes me so happy. :D

--Adm. Nick

14. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Don't get your hopes up.

In AotC the standard (= more than example) dagger-warship was 752 meters.
    In ROTS the size had increased to 1,137 meters.
    ANH - ROTJ gave us the ISD with 1,600 meters.
    In TFA we have the Resurgent-class with 2,951 meters.
    If Episode X - XII follow that trend, whatever organisation will take the place of the Empire will employ 4,500 - 6,000 meter long star destroyers as their standard warship. :D

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    2916 metres (with rounding) actually ;)

16. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Hux flagship is the prototype of the class. The standard model is 35 meters longer. ;)

And no, that isn't canon.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That's the upcoming Spring game night kit for Armada. No Command ship Alt Art card yet.
    And unfortunately, no Engineering Tokens for some reason, :mad:

This is the upcoming one for X-Wing:
    [​IMG]
    Rebel themed Veteran Instincts! Awesome! Ion Tokens are fine, but I would have rather had connor net tokens

And Imperial Assault:
    [​IMG]

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Not that I'm aware of - it was too recent and too narrow a focus to the OT for them to really be used prior to the cutoff. And Official Cartographer of Star Wars, Jason Fry, didn't seem aware of any of the new planets that have been created.
    Since StoryGroup's official stance is to not discuss canon and to remind people that statements from members of StoryGroup mean nothing, I guess we just have to shrug our shoulders and move on? But it will have to come to head, certainly - references to Rebels have been cropping up, and an upcoming book is featuring Lothal.

19. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Just got my copy of Lead By Example, I really got to keep up with these, really nice work.

Just skimmed it so far, but great art work. I liked the new walker in there too AT-FRC. A nice little write up on assault concussion missiles too. I know they are not new, but almost sound like in the same league as a baradium missile. Of course as mentioned above great stuff regarding dreadnought and battlecruisers. A little odd that the Maelstorm-class went out of service so quickly, at least their in a mothball fleet.

May I add that a superlaser was not mentioned, but it says an Assertor-class has almost enough power to destroy a planet on its own. Interpret that as you like, probably meant for slagging based on the EGTW pic.

For those few who enjoy dreadnoughts and battlecrusiers as much as me, the Assertor-class pic: (Thats not a lens flare, its something in the picture, planetary bombardment maybe like the EGTW pic?)

[​IMG]

and for AdmiralNick22 MC80A:
    [​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Ah. I think that MC80 was also used in the one for Armada.

21. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Sounds like plenty of interesting info. I guess this, like all FFG things, is neither Canon nor Legends, but has to conform to Canon ideas and lore?

Btw, are the battlecruisers and dreadnoughts called Super Star Destroyers or is that a nickname reserved for the Executors?

22. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I'll double check tonight, but pretty sure the Maelstrom-class was always refereed to as a battlecruiser, the Assertor was a command dreadnought, and all the large ships fell under the battleship section in the book.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just ordered my copy and it will be here on Friday! :D

I'll post detailed recaps this weekend, so keep an eye out!

--Adm. Nick

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Nice that they specify the Assertor as a command dreadnought. Guess that's the ideology for the Executor too, a command version of the dreadnought designs. Other dreadnoughts are presumably meant to be heavy weapons platforms or fast dreadnoughts etc..

That would explain the Assertor being in charge of lesser dreadnoughts. Smaller, speedier models like the Bellator would be superior to battlecruisers, but might require more logistics and maintenance if they have a lot more firepower, so ships like the Pride of Tarlandia would still be kept as late as Endor.

I know I'm mushing together canon with FFG with this, but there's no real guidelines with the rpg so, meh. :p

25. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Quite true, canon or not, still great content none the less. Your description above is pretty much as it is in the book. Assertor-class is a powerful weapons platform, but has great command and control capabilities, pretty much a sector command ship.

Read through the starship section and that new Imperial Surveyor-class frigate is pretty neat too. Nice to see that warships working in battle groups getting a bunch of mentions as well. As mentioned above the Munificent-class had a lot of variants too, and the original CIS strategy for them was to use them in packs to take down Republic dreadnoughts. They were also called "pocket cruisers".

Tzizvvt78 likes this.