main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    King of Alsakan and Gorefiend like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A pocket cruiser which is larger than a Dreadnaught or Strike cruiser. Pocket star cruiser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of Alsakan likes this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Different designs for different eras.

4. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    The Strike-class is a younger class than the Munificent, however.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also vastly larger than an "Imperial light cruiser"

http://www.starwars.com/databank/imperial-light-cruiser

when you look at scenes in TCW where the ship is, at this point, a Republic light cruiser.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When did this turn into the Fleet Junky thread?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's always been partially our thread. Not the "flagship", but more like frontline cruiser. :p

--Adm. Nick

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We are more of the Errant Venture.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can we talk about organisations, planets, species and personal technology? You know things that are interesting, instead of ship length or what ship appear in which book

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What you mean is "can we provide Jello with pictures of fancy people, or text about fancy people?"

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LelalMekha, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Did you read up on Ord Gimmel in Strongholds of Resistance? I think you would love the planet and the political mess it is ;)

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I shared a lot of the Ord Gimmel stuff several pages back with fairly extensive write ups. I believe Jello is on record loving the world. :p

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah I just remember ;) even though it was last year, just curious if he actually picked up the book as well.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I do not have the book, but I did enjoy the bits reported to me. IIRC, the Rebels basically murdered the monarch, are denying the rightful heiress her throne, and are supporting some sort of completely illegitimate gangster or something?

Is that the gist of it?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Kind of, also the King of Indupar is involved! :D Which is just such a great WEG call back.

16. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    They at least had a little write up on the Core Worlds. Typical stuff, the war between the Rebels and Empire does not really impact the Core, save a rare shortage on luxury items or a small tax increase. Empire is afraid to lose any Core Worlds, while the Rebels can not muster enough forces to take one.

I did enjoy the breakdown on the medals of honor of the Rebellion. Might think about re-upping with the military if I could get a Corellian Cross or a Star of Alderaan.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    My copy is delivering in a few hours! :D

I'll dig through it at lunch and post my initial review then, followed by other updates accordingly.

GrandAdmiralJello

I'll text you any pics that meet your criteria, namely Imperial, Core Worlds, or fancy hats. :p

--Adm. Nick

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Lead by Example: Capital Ships Notes
    • Surveyor-class reconnaissance frigate is based on the Active-class attack frigate from KDY. Described as "lightly armed and armored", the vessel has general hull lines similar to the Vindicator-class cruiser, but lacks a command tower. In it's place is an aft structure that extends over the main drives, similar to the aft shape of a Bellator-class dreadnought. Carries one squadron of TIE fighters. Armaments consist of six light turbolasers, four medium turbolaser turrets, six twin barrel turret mounted laser cannons, and four medium ion cannons. Has a pair of tractor beam projectors as well. Common sight patrolling Imperial Space in the Core and Mid Rim. Described as having one of the most sophisticated sensor suites of any Imperial warship.
    • The Munificent-class frigates in the Alliance Navy are mostly of the "command, control, and communication (C3) frigate" variety. The vessels have been extensively refitted and can carry between 1-3 squadrons, depending on the configuration. All droid systems removed and replaced with systems that are run by organic crews. No changes to the armament that I can see.
    • The Home One-type MC80A Heavy Star Cruiser has some interesting info. They are described as both "purpose built Mon Calamari battleships" and as originally being "civilian craft, mostly passenger liners or deep-space exploration vessels."
    • Less common than the Liberty-type Star Cruisers seen in most Alliance battlegroups, only a "precious few" are in service with the Alliance Navy.
    • The armament of Home One is different from the Independence. For example, while both cruisers have 36 heavy turbolasers, Home One quad mounts, while the Independence has only twin mounts. In addition, Home One's turbolaser turrets are mounted nine forward, ten port, ten starboard, and seven aft, while the Independence has them mounted six forward, twelve port, twelve starboard, and six aft.
    • The eighty quad laser cannon batteries (not individual cannons!) are spaced twenty forward, thirty port, and thirty starboard.
    • Admiral Ackbar is known to use Home One-types aggressively, running them "directly into Imperial Navy formations."
    • When the Home One-type was refitted, the measures taken included "stiffening their keels, adding armor, upgrading sensors and shields, converting internal spaces to hangars, upgrading launch facilities providing berth for more crew and troops, and adding more powerful weapon systems."
    • As previously noted, described as being "similar in size, strength, and role" to the Imperial-II class Star Destroyer.
    • All Home One-type follow a generally cylindrical hull shape, as opposed to the winged shape of the Liberty-type.
    • Assertor-class command dreadnought has two ships, the Assertor and Wrath. As previously noted, they both are command ships for large battlegroups that patrol the borders of the Mid Rim and Outer Rim for Rebel activity.
    • Designed with an eye towards conventional fleet duties and Sector Command duties. It features an advanced command & control suite that allows the commanding officer an "nearly unparalleled view" of the battlefield.
    • Only a Class 2 hyperdrive, carried 120 starfighters.
    • Armaments include twenty port and twenty starboard quad heavy turbolaser batteries, fifteen port and fifteen starboard quad battleship ion cannon batteries, ten dorsal twin heavy turbolasers, and thirty quad light turbolaser batteries mounted ten forward, ten port, and ten starboard.
    • Malestrom-class battle cruiser is described as having a "long, thin, and heavily armored cranked delta hull and graceful twin command suites positioned aft over the main drives." I'm assuming it kinda looks like the VenStar, but much bigger.
    • Unpopular ships, they were expensive, hard to operate, and required too many resources. Phased out of service shortly after their introduction.
    • The lead ship, Malestrom, served at the battles of Cularin and Kromus, under the command of Jedi General Darrus Jeht. Most of her sisterships never saw combat.
    • When the Empire rose to power, most were scrapped, mothballed, or turned into test beds.
    • Armaments include ten port and ten starboard heavy turbolaser batteries, ten ventral battleship ion cannon batteries, ten port and ten starboard medium ion cannons, ten forward, ten port, and ten starboard proton torpedo launchers, and ten ventral, retractable quad-barrel assault concussion missile batteries. In terms of tractor beams, it possessed twenty ventral medium tractor beams and ten ventral heavy tractor beams.

More to come later!

--Adm. Nick

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Sounds like a really neat little warship, may I also add it has stealth capabilities too. Don't know if anyone has watched the Expanse on SyFy, but the description of the Surveyor made me think of the stealth ships on that show.

Kylun and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The "Class" sourcebooks tend to be mostly about equipment, sub-classes, abilities, and vehicles - and the AoR books tend to have capital ships in them (EOTE tends more towards freighters and local defense forces). The "Location" sourcebooks (like the upcoming one for Force & Destiny) will probably have more of the type of information you're interested in.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, how would one define "a number" in reference to a count? I know a "few" is three or less, so what is the criteria for number? I ask, because it notes in Lead by Example that the aviator wings worn by Alliance pilots have on them "a number of six pointed stars, one for each of the founding members of the Alliance to Restore the Republic." At least to me, it seems like there are more stars than the old Legends lore of having Chandrila, Alderaan, and Corellia as the founding trio would imply. Lately, I've been speculating that the NEU canon for the founding of the Alliance will consist of more than three original founders. Hell, as far as I am concerned, Ackbar's Mon Calamari resistance and Cham Syndulla's Ryloth resistance would make great founders as well. ;)

Some other interesting little tidbits from my second reading of the guide:
    • The Mid Rim was the site of the majority of battles that took place during the GCW.
    • It notes that the "overall cultural sentiments" of the Rebels and Empire come from the Core Worlds.
    • It was interesting to note that neither the Empire or the Alliance want a major battle to occur in the Core. The Empire fears a major loss there would cause it to lose face among the Core Worlds, causing them to doubt that their security is solid. The Alliance is fearful of winning a major battle in the Core, as it would cause the Empire to crack down there and push Core World sentiments away from the Alliance. This is a more nuanced view of the Core Worlds, one that really shows that the Core Worlds (to a certain degree) aren't eager to get engaged in the GCW to the degree that other worlds would be.
    • The Alliance's focus is to spread word of Imperial atrocities so that the Core reacts. The Empire's focus is to spew propaganda that the Rebels are a passing fad and to maintain tight security and stability.
    • There is a great picture at CooperTFN would love for it's showing of diversity. It is a group of six Alliance pilots in a huddle with an R2 unit. There is a white human female, an Asian-looking human male, a African American male, a Gran, a Sullustan, and a Duro. Diversity FTW! [face_party]
    • Chagrians joined the Alliance in large numbers and were instrumental in the liberation of Mon Cala.
    • The once pristine oceans of Champala are now polluted due to the Imperial occupation.
    • Ishi Tiib are known as meticulous planners and make excellent tacticians and commodores.
    • Lannik was discovered by the Republic's Duros explorers 15,000 BBY.
    • Lannik is ruled by a hereditary monarchy and the world is feudal. War has been a constant factor in the world's development, with various houses and clans fighting for supremacy. It is basically the GoT of the GFFA. :p
    • Constant warfare has made Lannik's excellent warriors. They have a reputation for loving to fight against "insurmountable odds" and favor underdogs, hence why many have joined the Alliance.
    • It has a section that devotes a paragraph or two to each of the Alliance's top commanders - Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Dodonna, Madine, and Rieekan. No new information, but it mentions why each is a great commander. Mon Mothma is noted for her diplomatic & negotiation skills, Ackbar is noted for his foresight and ability to adapt to changing circumstances, Dodonna for being a master of operational planning, etc.
    --Adm. Nick

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So in conclusion: the Core Worlds are the greatest and the Empire is victorious on all fronts?

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    From a certain point of view. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    African-American? ;)

LelalMekha, Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hej, he could be an a multiverse traveller from one of the U.S.A.:s out there :p