main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, but they will be a band of giant pink snails with flamingo heads.
    [​IMG]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Guys, regarding the last page discussion on canonicity - I strongly recommend you listen to the latest episode of the Order 66 podcast. Sam Stewart, an RPG Line Manager at FFG, confirm the books are not canon.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, I placed my order for the Rebellion board game! Should be here by Friday. I'm very intrigued to see how the gameplay is, some reviews have been less than stellar, but the overall scope of the game looks to be right up my alley! :D

Apparently there is a four player mode, which from what I briefly read online works with one player controlling "orange" general characters and another player controlling the "blue" admiral characters. Or something like that.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The main feedback I've heard from friends is that it's a bit clunky to get into upfront. The manual is dense and some of the combat is not inherently intuitive. However, after your second game it'll click into place and flow pretty seamlessly.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So pretty much identical to the PC version then.

6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    You beat us ALL to that joke, Janson.

Is there any kind of date yet for Imperial Veterans? I've wanted a red-and-black TIE Defender since they TIE Defender was invented.

7. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Dunno how solid it is, but Amazon is saying May 31st.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, my Rebellion game is now scheduled to deliver on Monday. Interested to read the rule book and see how it flows.

--Adm. Nick

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Rebellion has arrived! :D

Apparently, winning the game as the Rebels via outright combat isn't even possible. The pieces the game provides you make this clear, given the disparity between Rebel & Imperial naval forces. :p

Rebels
    x3 Mon Cala cruisers
    x4 Corellian corvettes
    x4 Medium transports
    x12 Y-wings
    x8 X-wings

Imperials
    x2 Death Stars
    x2 Super Star Destroyers
    x8 Star Destroyers
    x8 Gozanti transports
    x24 TIE Fighters

Still, the Rebel in me will amass a fleet. The Empire can't be everywhere at once, afterall. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    The rebels have death stars and star destroyers now and fight against themselves? :D

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Saw it at the local gaming shop a couple weeks back. Watched a game of the guys playing it. Looks VERY good.

Hoping it gets a few expansions for more EU material. Very movie-centric at the moment (which isn't surprising), but there's a lot of potential for different tactics with something as small as different commanders and objectives.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Fixed. :p

Man, I gotta somehow get more Mon Cal cruiser tokens. That way I can play a New Republic Era campaign with the game. :D

I wonder if FFG sells replacement pieces... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let me know if they do, I'll just ask for an SSD even though I don't have the game.

What? It's got the right proportions for once!!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I played it with my friend last week. I have to say I really liked it. I game a lot, so I get some of the criticisms, but I don;t really agree with them. I think the mechanics work well (mostly) and the game has tons of Star Wars flavor. And as with other FF games, the quality of the components is top notch.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  17. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    The Force Awakens Beginner Box Set is announced (see above link) maybe if this sells well we might have a Beginner Box Set based around the latest Star Wars movie
    release?

Is it bad I'd like a Clone Wars Beginner Box Set?[face_devil]

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    This is a good sign we might get an actual TFA campaign guide, right? The adventure doesn't excite me, but a guide on the movie would. Fingers crossed! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

Hopeless likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Nick, traditionally the Beginner set is the prelude to the creation of the main rulebook for an RPG - which is apparently just going to be called The Force Awakens.

However, I wouldn't get your hopes up with a WEG-style background for the TFA universe. Recent RPG material seems to indicate that they aren't being allowed to 'add' to the new Star Wars universe. Maybe things will have changed with the full TFA game setting, though.

Not at all, I've been championing that setting for a while!

Hopeless likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe we'll get some nice art though. More Hosnian architecture please.

But yeah, I doubt we'll get much fluff text. At all.

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Maybe the other side of that galaxy map will hold the interior of that crashed New Republic Corvette?

Sigh they're going to ignore that aren't they?:(

Well it should definitely have stats for the new First Order Storm Troopers and their landing craft, right?=((

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
  23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Traditionally, yes. But didn't the TFA announcement explicitly says there won't be a TFA main rulebook? Or am I misreading it?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Correct --

Gorefiend, Gamiel and blackmyron like this.
  25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for the heads-up Jello! Well, well, well... that's interesting to say the least.