main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Will do.

Hopeless likes this.
  2. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Word got out. My first-time group is growing to more than anticipated. #Tomorrow

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMG. This game. Panaka has a pet. Maybe that's why he was so on edge in TPM.

[​IMG]

4. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    #Tonight

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Hey, recent news made me wonder: is Onderon featured in any of the FFG sourcebooks?

6. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the setting in the Age of Rebellion beginner game, Takeover at Whisper Base, and its sequel Operation: Shadowpoint. I think it also gets some passing mentions elsewhere, but those are the two that feature it as the primary setting.

7. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Alright, here's my report!

It was fun. Apart from myself as GM, there were 4 PCs, only one of which had done RPGing before. I understand that the F&D beginner game adventure is the weakest of the beginner box adventures, and and I get it, as it's extremely obvious as a 'tutorial adventure', and makes it hard to avoid some railroading in some parts.
    That said, we ran it in about 3 hours, and I learned quite a bit about the personalities of the participants, which, ultimately, I think will be helpful in planning a campaign/adventure. They are now very interested in creating their own characters, and having an adventure with a little more freedom. So I'll be exploring the suggestions for the adventure in the Core rulebook as a base, and ditching the free downloadable follow-up story to the beginner box adventure, because none of the participants are interested in continuing with the pre-gen characters.

The experience DID a great job in familiarizing the players with the base mechanics, by the middle, each were forming their own dice pools, taking notes on their stats, and coming up with more and more creative ideas. I learned a bit more about the types of things I'd better need to prepare for as a GM, and again, a lot about the style and approach of the players. The one with RPG experience kept wanting to do a bit of rail-roading of his own (IE, tell all the characters what they should do, and basically just fall in line), and there wasn't nearly as much in-character discussion as there was attempts to 'beat the GM's plans' (I think this comes from his experience with GMs viewing themselves as antagonists to the PCs), but all are on board. I'm going to familiarize myself a bit more with the core rulebooks, and as I discuss things with them, start building plans for my own campaign, likely making use of modified adventure modules as a good base.

That said, it definitely sparked interest in the players. So good, educational experience! Beginner Box with maps and character tokens (as well as dice) is a great recommendation to start out, and to feel out and educate a newbie audience. Again, I had never RPed (let alone GMed) before, and I was able to have a good time.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good to hear it. Though I've RPed a bit, GMing always felt terribly daunting. But it sounds like you're already looking to start running your own adventures.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good to hear it. Though I've RPed a bit, GMing always felt terribly daunting. But it sounds like you're already looking to start running your own adventures.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I like making sandboxes and proposing sandboxes for others to play in. It's literally been a decade since I last sat down and did some of my own writing, and this seems like a fun, interactive excuse to be in a mindset to jumpstart some creative storytelling again.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'd love to DM something somewhere, but I have no experience and no one really interested in doing so lives around me. So a bit of a high barrier of entry. My only RPG experience is a very brief stint in a AoR campaign that meandered for about six months (meeting every other week) before breaking up. The GM meant well but I don't think he was able to balance the true newbie players (like me) and the RPG vets who were there, so the campaign was very vanilla, the older players got bored and left, and by the time we tried to switch gears it was the holidays and everyone went on vacation and the game broke up. It was fun, for a while.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    AoR = Age of Rebellion?

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  14. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Now that we have seen wave 3.5, I am curious to see what will be in wave 5. My guess is the Quasar fire for the rebels, and the Arquitanns for the Empire.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, notice the relative scale with the ISD. The VSD and ISD are relatively to scale, and the Rebels-style Interdictor is definitely bigger than the Victory. And the old WotC Starship mini of the EU / Immobilizer Interdictor scales pretty well with the FFG Star Destroyers, so it'll be neat to put it alongside the larger Interdictor.

It's nothing precise or anything, but neat visually.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The RPG really seems to be in a holding pattern at this point, which is a dangerous place to be in the industry, even for a significant game company like FFG - there's only one confirmed book coming out, and that's dropping in August (I don't count releases of ''encounter packs" as significant).

19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    That is sort of FFGs MO with the RPGS. Look at all the FFG 40K RPG game systems that are now sort of in limbo.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    As much as I am a Home One fanboy, the Liberty is literally the ship I've been dreaming about. The ability to finally go nose to nose with my Imperial opponents Star Destroyers is key. As the preview details, my whole range of tactics now changes when I throw a Liberty into the mix. I can charge my winged warrior straight into battle, while using my tried & true Home One command cruiser hammer them on the flanks, while my other flank has some speedy frigates. This truly gives Rebel players like me the firepower and versatility we've been craving.

I love that they pumped the EU for old school Liberty-type names. Aaron Allston must be looking down with a big smile at the inclusion of the Mon Karren, while the Endeavor straight out of my beloved Rebellion computer game and Empire at War. Of course, my heart will always love the Liberty. From her sacred place in ROTJ to her being the cruiser I flew off the most in the old X-wing series of games, I'll always fly alongside ole' Admiral Yamarus. :D

@AdmiralWesJason

You and I seem to be of the same mind each time we post our "dream list" for new waves. :) I second the motion for the Arquitens and Quasar Fire to be added to the game. Honestly, the only EU ship that would make me happier would be the Mon Remonda. To this day, it is my favorite of all the Mon Cala designs.

--Adm. Nick

22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    So does anyone here GM F&D campaigns?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hah I was just thinking the same thing about Mon Karren and how cool it'd be to have an MC-80b.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    While we're speaking of campaigns and GMs, here is a campaign I am trying to knock together for X-Wing. The first two missions, as currently planned, might require some sort of GM to handle the surprises and triggers, but otherwise, I think it could be run just between two players... if the First Order player doesn't mind losing for the sake of story.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The upgrades that come in the Liberty kit are awesome. Glad I preordered 2.