main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol Needa's card art says he has a reputation of taking responsibility for his actions. Because everything we see fleetingly in the films is a deep an immutable trait!

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And Vader always kills his most loyal captains for something that's not their fault. Like every Tuesday.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "I told you that I wanted my ice cream WITHOUT sprinkles!" *choke*

cdgodin likes this.
  4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Truly they are following in the footsteps of WEG.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    AXELL FLORENT!

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So, I looked at a copy and did a brief skim-through. Good amount of lore, uses model numbers and things for ships, art is pretty nice. It's not really my speed so I'd not looked through it in too much detail. It had a whole section on various types of spice though, which was neat. Haven't the foggiest if any of it's new, or if it's stuff we already knew.

There were also some fun jokes such as how the Republic had just over a thousand sectors, but the Empire reorganized so many that nobody currently knows how many sectors there are.

Random fun detail: Cato Neimodia was a Separatist stronghold that was captured by the Republic -- in other worlds, not a Republic world, no matter what TCW says. Yay. (blah blah t-canon whatever ignoring that now).

Nothing about Mon Cola or Mandalore that's of interest.

Ryloth still has heat storms and most people live underground -- no mention of the sunlight and planetary rotation, but that seems as good as we'll get. The TCW stuff is in the temperate equator -- did we already know this, from the Atlas or one of the TCW episode guides? I don't pay attention to this stuff.

(edit: the section on the Empire, while the only part I read in any real detail, had nothing that new in it (some minor interesting tidbits here and there. There is a loooong excursus on Imperial law that had some new bits. ). On the other hand, it did at least show a heavy debt to the Imperial Sourcebook, which is nice to see -- old sources refreshed are helpful. Oh, and the section on the Rebels nicely pointed out how comfortable Mothma was with immoral and less than above board tactics to combat the Empire and it also mentions that the Alliance is a "dictatorship by necessity" -- lol AdmiralNick22 . :) )

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

As the RASB points out, the Chief of State was an "elected dictatorship" that had to be re-elected every two years by a majority of the Allied governments. The CoS could also be voted out of office by a vote of no confidence by the Advisory Council if 2/3 of the membership was against her. Nothing new, in other words. :p

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah so a dictatorship's ok as long as it has a rubber stamp, then? :p

And yes, I know it's not new, but I enjoy reading it every time.

...and one day I'll have to read the RASB, if I can get over the nausea. :p

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Wasn't a certain Chancellor "elected dictator?"

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You really should. The section on the political setup of the Alliance is very interesting. Yes, Mon Mothma essentially had dictatorial powers during the war, but there were still check and balances in place to ensure she didn't become a tyrant. The very structure of the Alliance Civil Government made sure to keep democratic structures in place, even if the level of power wielded by the Chief of State was extremely high. Of course, in the case of Mon Mothma, she wasn't running a true government. She was running a war against the Empire.

And... I have derailed the thread. Sorry for steering us off topic. :p

--Adm. Nick

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, by the actual galaxy -- and elected emperor, too. That didn't stop the Rebels or the Jedi from trying to overthrow him. But a woman "elected" dictatrix by a handful of her rich senator buddies -- sure, that's totally awesome!

darthscott3457 likes this.
  12. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I like how they used exactly the same perspective as its first appearance in Dark Empire:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Transport Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars? Ah Ghost Prison you save canon yet again. :p

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm afraid Dreadnaughts of Rendilli saved this particular instance of canon.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    That one still didn’t get around to actually showing as locked away Jedi.

16. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Erm... this one is from the EotE Core Rulebook, p.29 -- is this a new model? It looks a little like a cross between the Nebulon Ranger and an X-Wing, and IMHO it's awesome (forgive the bad quality scan though):
    [​IMG]

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep spotted that one as well whilst flipping through the book. Looks to be a new design and pretty freaky at that.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I think that is the Nebulon Ranger. Or a Crescent-X9, at least. A bit stylized, perhaps, but it looks to be the same.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm the Cockpit section seems to be way longer, though of course it could be a new or modified model.

20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    A nice little TCW-tidbit: Page 51 of the book clarifies that Wasskah is Trandosha's moon and therefore inside the Kashyyyk system. :)

21. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    How abstract is it compared to FATE (that's the only RPG I have real experience with, so if your don't know it, then could you pleasse just briefly describe roughly how abstract it is)?

Thanks.

22. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No problem. I would equate EotE to systems like FATE or Hollow Earth Exploration (HEX), in fact EotE was heavily influenced by HEX. For example initiative is determined by a roll against a character's Cool or Discipline depending on the situation. That roll awards the PCs an initiative slot which they can award to any player in the group. Range is determined by bands which are looser suggestions rather than hard or fast room. So for example shooting at Close range would be the equivalent of shooting someone within a standard sized room, shooting at someone on the other side of a large warehouse might be Medium range. Also concepts like movement are a little more loose as there is no hard and fast stat to track movement, it just costs a maneuver for someone to disengage from a melee opponent, or to move from close to medium range. Also aiming your gun cost a maneuver, or getting up from prone... It's very loose and fast, but still organized.

Yancy,

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Must have taken millions of slaves to build.

TrandoJedi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    New desktop background!

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Where's that supposed to be?

Y'know, I think FFG should do the Imperial Palace -- and make it a purdy (took me SEVENTEEN tries to let my phone use that word!) illustration like that one.