main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's it.

The other one is called a Legate-class courier. The book's in my locker at work but I checked it briefly; it's Sienar Fleet Systems, and looks either like the T6 shuttle from clone wars with its wing-thing folded down/horizontal; or whatever Kenobi flew to talk to Padme in ROTS.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Eh, I'll wait for the adventure books. Shadowrun is occupying my RPG time right now.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You can build a racer. I don't think you heard me correctly here.

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You've obviously never read Rigger 4.

I'm surprised you're not a Shadowrun fan, Ender. The US is smashed into little pieces, while Australia is still whole and still a member of the Commonwealth.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you ever play transhuman space, the GURPS book?

6. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sadly, no. While I didn't have anything about GURPS, back in their heyday the people I played with loathed the system and wouldn't have anything to do with it. But they liked Star Frontiers, so they aren't really ones who should talk about bad systems.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah but Her Majesty died seven years ago and that's just not cool.

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Did she die, or just abdicate to Charles?

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I read it in a third and very family-unfriendly way and was like .... What the Fuuuu....

Then realized my head is in the gutter.

12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I've played a few games of X-Wing and Armada now with some friends and want to get into them. Not so much for Armada because of the cost.

The question is: Do I go for the X-Wing TFA Core Set or the OT Core Set?

What other ships should I get?

I really like the Ghost.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I kinda want to get the Gozanti.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    If you only get one, get the TFA one, just because it's going to have the more up-to-date rulebook.

All of them.

15. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I should be able to get the most up to date rules though in an expansion like the Ghost set right? or in a PDF format?

I can't get all of them, 1. budget 2. storage 3. some just look meh.

16. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Depends on what you are into, I suppose. I have never played this version of the Star Wars rpg but I have purchased all of the books. I find the world-building lore and the amazing art worth the purchase price. I mean, I would absolutely love to play the game if I had the time and knew others that enjoyed rpgs but I personally think these books are worth the price even if you don't plan on playing. Of course ymmv depending on the book as some are more game text heavy than others...

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Look, by all means, keep buying them because you're keeping FFG publishing them. But they're not intended for people to obsess over the details outside of an RPG and the misapplication of information in them is a persistent issue - "but, it's in this book, so canon amirite?"

Also try your FLGS for a gaming group.

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    It's been a few months since I've been able to play, and I'm getting back with my group for a session tonight. I'm a bit more prepared than in the past, based both on how my group plays, and in having more options available at hand as idea/choice/side prompts. Looking forward to it!

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A question to you who have both played the old D6 RPG and FFG's RPG: what version do you think is best and what do FFG better then WEG?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I prefer FFG. WEG captured the feel of Star Wars perfectly, and were not sullied by the distasteful and soulless prequels stuff like WOTC was. They were the flagship of the pure era of Star Wars.

FFG, though, take the sense of belonging to that world that WEG had, and simplifying its main issue which was the bloody dice rolls. Seriously, I once had a vacsuit, which offers 1D armour, roll a 35 on a check because of 6 6 6 6 6 5 on the wild. If I roll a blaster check, it might be 10D6+2, which is an avalanche of dice.

Instead you get the yellow/green dice from FFG which are incredibly elegant and enable a non-binary axis of resolution. The thing I have to explain a lot to the people in my group, who are heavily D20-ified, is that Star Wars is about failing forwards, when you do fail.

In d20, you can be the single greatest thief in Calimport, but roll a one and suddenly you have a brain fart? Pls.

In FFG Narrative Dice System, you are resolving:

Success v Failure
    Advantage v Threat
    Triumph v Despair

But not in a binary way. You could have net failure, 2 threat, 1 despair, and it won't stop you from going forward. Example?

Han's using Skullduggery to hotwire the lock of the Endor bunker. He rolls a check. The GM flips a destiny point to upgrade difficulty, so Han's rolling 2 yellow, 1 green, and 1 blue boost because the Imps are distracted by the Ewoks. It's a Hard check, so 3 purple, plus one black setback die for the combat situation. GM upgrades this to a red.

Han rolls, and... Ugh...

No successes
    2 threat
    1 despair

Despair is spent to trip the internal mechanisms that lock the blast door, resetting their progress and making hotwiring impossible. They're locked out.

Threat? Han'll get some strain, but the next enemy shot is upgraded. Bam! Hit on Leia.

They're now locked out, and surrounded. What will they do?

Rely on the hairy bugger to save them of course...

And that's broadly how it works. No failure is permanent or crippling, it just changes the fast-paced direction of the story.

Daneira, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm basically with Ender. FFG's got the same spirit as WEG, but the basic play mechanics are more streamlined and suited to the setting.

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    exactly. And to be fair, I don't think FFG's system exists or works without WEG, because it feels like they played WEG and wanted to enhance the spirit of it. And it works; I'm playing a Kanan Jarrus-esque Jedi Sentinel in an EOTE campaign, and it fits so well.

Vthuil and Gorefiend like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm playing a court fop (a WEG archetype) on FFG and they fit hand in glove.

I've played WEG, Saga, and FFG. WEG is fun but mechanically clunky, Saga is just painful min-maxing and stat crunching, and FFG is cinematic. The dice system is what sells it. It invites the players to have a more active role in storytelling and it deliberately tracks the ebb and flow of destiny.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

I'm not really one to care if something is canon or not. I enjoy it for what it is and let canon sort itself out. The sector sourcebooks in particular are a really fun read and ffg art is among the best Star Wars art in my opinion.

I've checked the local comics/gaming store but there aren't any groups playing Star Wars stuff at all. I live in a pretty small town currently and the interest just isn't there.