main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not SW related, but of interest to many here; FFG are doing a Fallout boardgame.

2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have bought a bunch of the adversary decks, which I'd recommend if you can find the ellusive buggers. Rebels and Imperials I and II, Scum and Villainy, Hunters and Force Users - these are basically pre-generated NPCs (minions, nemeses, etc) for easy reference in the game.

I also got a deck of ship critical hits. So basically it's a series of cards to correspond with a D100 roll when your ship deals or takes a crit. But the art is right up your alley, and the price is actually quite cheap.

Darth_Henning likes this.
  3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    This not a drill, the rules for Rise of the Empire are now available for download! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/10/a-rebellion-built-on-hope/

It also reveals a unique mission: Subversion. "Now Subversion allows you to mislead your opponents in ways you previously could not. Instead of keeping Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor in the leader pool to oppose your opponent's mission, you can assign them to Subversion. This way it looks like they're assigned to a mission and unavailable to oppose a critical Imperial mission—such as when Jabba the Hutt attempts to Make an Example of Mon Mothma by feeding her to the sarlaac. Then… surprise! Jyn and Cassian are suddenly able to oppose, relocating to Jabba's system, and bringing all their skills to Mon Mothma's defense. More than that, Subversion even grants them an extra die!"

Fittingly, the Rebel version of the card features Bodhi Rook (since he mislead the Imperials in Rouge One) while the Imperial version shows Lando complaining to some Stormtroopers (presumably because "this deal is getting worse all the time!")

Super excited to pour over the new rules!

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The bigger implication is that a modern Fallout RPG being made by FFG is a possibility.

5. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    What confuses me is that another Fallout miniatures/board game is being made by a completely different company. http://www.modiphius.com/fallout.html

I wonder how the rights issues work for this sort of thing?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why is that confusing? The minis game and board game are totally unrelated. The boardgame though, when Genesys is about to launch, suggests as blackmyron says - a Fallout RPG. Sadly, based on the worst episodes in the Fallout canon...

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    What, based on the Brotherhood of Steel game?

8. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    It's confusing because it makes me wonder who has the rights to a potential fallout tabletop RPG, Modiphius, or FFG?

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There's a big gaming con coming up, right? I believe it's likely we'd get an Armada wave announcement. Here's to hoping!

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Even worse, Fallout 4.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I far prefer the East coast Fallout aesthetic over the West Coast games.

JediBatman likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But...

A. Fallout 2.
    B. Fallout 4 is terrible as a RPG.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Only for a narrow definition of RPG.
    And it is now a miniatures game and board game as well.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    And Fallout: BoS is terrible as an anything.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Ok so to be clear; as a tech demo, Fallout 4 is great. As a roleplaying game, in which your protagonist has any agency, it's a failure. The choices are trivial and without consequence.

By contrast, the narrative dice system underpinning Genesys and SWRPG is all about agency and choice, and would very neatly do Fallout 1/2 and NV games well.

If you like an FPS with some light RPG mechanics, sure Fallout 4 will feel amazing. But given the context of the thread... well...

16. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Agreed, I understand why people like the Obsidian games more, but Fallout 3 and 4 (I haven't played 4, but I've seen playthroughs) do a great job of making you feel like you're exploring a post apocalyptic wasteland. New Vegas always made me feel like I was playing a wild west game that someone had modded to include Deathclaws.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am soooo ****ing addicted to Rebellion. Seriously, I love that game. I dare say I enjoy it more than Armada, though that is partly due to the fact it is also a bit less complicated. I've been playing it a lot lately, so the upcoming expansion will be welcome indeed!

--Adm. Nick

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    GUYS.
    https://twitter.com/SamWitwer/status/897229778041815041

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep. Sounds like it would be incredibly fun.

20. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I'd watch that. I can see it now:

Sam Witwer: "As you watch the Dark Jedi reaches out through the Force to pluck a Star Destroyer from orbit!"
    Steve Blum: "Jeez Steve, a whole Star Destroyer? Isn't that a bit far fetched?"
    Vanessa Marshall: "And I thought it was over the top when that other Dark Jedi survived being cut in half"
    Sam Witwer: "I'M THE GM HERE GUYS AND IF I SAY HE MOVES THE STAR DESTROYER, HE MOVES THE STAR DESTROYER!!!!!!!":p

Sinrebirth , AV-6R7, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Witwer's been on Order 66 a bunch and he's a really dedicated roleplayer, so it would be a thing of beauty.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Anything to get more Sam Witwer.

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Will Mary McGlynn be RPing the mysterious rebel Parihnda Ryce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Sam Witwer isn't exactly my favourite actor but I remember seeing him as Crashdown in Battlestar Galactica. Pity they sent him over the edge in early Season 2 and killed him off.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He was brilliant fun in Once Upon a Time as Hyde. I have yet to finish Smallville to see him as Doomsday. Similarly he was fun in Walking Dead for 2 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk