Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Some of the Galaxies artists are now working for FFG, so I'm not surprised to see them showing up again.
  2. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    i just opened up my x-wing game i got for christmas and played a little bit, it's fairly complicated. also i looked on ffg's website and saw the expansions. 14.99 for a single ship is a bit much...
  3. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, when a 100 point fleet is generally 3-6 ships, it's not bad. And if you buy online, you can find the ships for $10-$12
  4. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    considering i don't know anyone else who has the game so i'll have to buy all the ships for both squads, plus the fact that i got the game on sale for 27.99 and the millenium falcon ship alone costs 30 bucks.
  5. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6

[IMG]
    cdgodin and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  6. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Calvin and Hobbes, always relevant . [IMG]
    Last edited by jacktherack, Aug 30, 2013
  7. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Sep 6, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Crickey!

Long-lost Separatist treasure ship AND ISB agents? WHY ISN'T THIS A BOOK ALREADY???

Seriously, they did it to Scourge!
  9. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Show Spoiler
    As it turns out the treasure is really what I suspected - insanely hard to access ingots of precious metal and a hold full of now worthless Republic Credits
  10. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    Show Spoiler
    So, it's the GFFA equivalent of a treasure chest full of Confederate Money?
  11. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

Show Spoiler
    With the difference that Confederation money has insane collection value these days, whilst Republic credits are around in abundance, just not of any use any more ;)
  12. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    Show Spoiler
    I thought Republic credits were still valid currency under the Empire... it says this is true on the Wookieepedia page, which I know doesn't really mean much, but just because the government changed its name doesn't mean its currency is suddenly worthless.
  13. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Show Spoiler
    Got a Link? Because why would they beyond a certain day of forced exchange like it is normal with currencies?
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Sep 7, 2013
  14. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Credit_Standard

"The Empire continued to use the credit, now called the Imperial Credit, as its main currency, and during the reign of Emperor Palpatine, there were few who would not accept it. Even the Alliance to Restore the Republic used it, along with their own Alliance Credit, as it was the most used and easiest-to-use currency in the galaxy."
  15. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    I would guess that the adventure should have more information, but my take would that physical currency dating prior to the establishment of the Empire may no longer by accepted as actual currency - although truly ancient or rare physical currency might be worth something as a collectors' item. (Republic credits from the Clone Wars probably wouldn't qualify).
  16. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Show Spoiler
    Just flipped over it when a friend brought it over, should get my own copy on Monday, afaik they were Republic Credits coins now said to be worthless because of the Empire and it using it's own Credit coins.
  17. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    Just strikes me as strange that the Empire would needlessly mint a brand new currency even though it is the same government.

Did they have pictures of Jedi on the coins or something?
  18. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Nothing needless about it, a new currency is one of the first things new governments often do, just to remind people that things are different now. Do a quick Google search on African currencies for example, it is pretty amusing how often many of those changed.

More likely a Republic symbol, whilst the Empires usually had the Emperor on it.
  19. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    They probably had a period where one had to turn in any physical Republic credits into Imperial credits - virtual credits, of course, would continue unchanged, so only low-level criminal groups, smugglers, Republic loyalists etc. would be affected.
  20. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Except the name of course ;) though accounts likely also used more local currencies as well. The CSA for example used an almost exclusively digital currency.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Seems hugely wasteful not to accept Republic credits. Usually the way things go is that things are used but taken out of circulation whenever possible. Not using them at all -- what's the point? Causes massive loss of economic value for no good reason. That's asinine.
    DigitalMessiah likes this.
  22. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    With currency reforms a date tends to be fixed when it will simply no longer be exchanged. French Francs for example officially became worthless last year, before that you could still exchange them for Euros and to this date some half a billion worth are still unaccounted for.

Give or take, Republic Credits were apparently never that popular beyond the Core anyway and people that would use them regularly would have them changed to the new money. Unaccounted for coins will of course be around but I doubt it will be on a gigantic scale, and there is enough examples of governments really just being that asinine, as Confederate State citizens or many of the people of the DDR for example discovered.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    What's the date of that campaign?
  24. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    I don't think they mentioned a specific date (as mentioned only got to flip through a friends copy, as mine has not arrived yet :( ), so I would guess same as Edge of the Empire -> a few weeks after the Battle of Yavin.
  25. King of Alsakan Force Ghost

star 4
    Interesting on the currency discussion, I would find it hard to believe that Republic credits were immediately invalidated once the Empire came into being. I would guess as mentioned above that there was some sort of grace period.

I also found it very interesting looking through wookieepedia just now, that Republic worlds like Corellia, Drall and Ithor had their own currencies. I have always suspected that Republic worlds would retain their own currency/economic independence and would mainly use Republic credits for inter-planetary trade.