Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Amphimachus Jedi Master

So do we know if we are going to see new stuff in Fantasy Flight's RPG books, or just stats for existing ships, weapons and such? In the past RPG books always seemed to be good sources of information, and I'm hoping we get more of that with the new system.
  2. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    So do I. WEG constantly made the galaxy a bigger place, introducing new species and creatures and drinks and whatnot; but somehow I guess that's a thing of the past. I don't really see even FFG getting the EU out of its recursive loop...

And apropos of good WEG books, how come nobody's mentioned the Tales of the Jedi Companion yet? I used to love that one... haven't looked at it in years because it's buried somewhere in my dad's cellar, but I do have fond memories of it. Also it was the first comprehensive look at this then-new and mostly unexplored era -- back when it wasn't swamped by TOR stuff and technology that looks like it might as well be from the Clone Wars.
  3. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    I like how the TOTJ Companion started the retcon of how the Sith Empire kinda/sorta knew about most of the Republic and were infiltrating corporations months or years in advance, trying to get info and tech from shady business people. It goes well together with EGTW's narrative of the Sith/Republic politics of the GHW era.

As for ships and vehicles, I'm sure FFG will continue expanding and adding stuff. Usually with recent books and comics and the tv show, WOTC added more info to stuff that were first seen or described there. I'm sure the new classes from EGTW will get that treatment somewhere down the line, too.
    Last edited by Tzizvvt78, Sep 14, 2012
  4. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, WOTC did do a good job expanding the universe. Hell, the Legacy Era Campaign Guide added four new Galactic Alliance fighters, one new Imperial fighter, and gave class names for all known capital ships from the series. Plus they literally fleshed out the structure and organization of both the Galactic Alliance and the Galactic Alliance Remnant. One of the best guides of this nature that I can think of.

--Adm. Nick
  5. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    There's a lesson there, as well - working with the authors that created the stories that it was based off of. WEG's interactions with Zahn certainly set the pace. Hopefully FFG will continue with working with current authors.
  6. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    There seriously needs to be a thread on WEG.
  7. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Exactly. JJM worked extensively on the KOTOR guide and John Ostrander had an email correspondance with the folks that did the LECG. And in the case of WEG, Zahn, Stackpole, Tyers, and KJA all wrote quite a bit for the guides to their respective works.

--Adm. Nick
  8. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved how they took the recycled Clonetrooper-to-Alliance marine armor from the Rebellion comics and made them the basis for the Venom assault squads a century later. :cool:
    Last edited by Tzizvvt78, Sep 14, 2012
    RC-1991 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  9. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    That’s why Sci-Fi usually goes for carrier battleships, which are just twice as awesome ;)
    AdmiralNick22 and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
  11. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    hmm more new art? any female pilots pictured yet in guidebook or cards? still wondering if this is worth it. how is the intel and lore component outside of rules? how much art is featured aside what is seen in previews?
  12. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's all ship art. The TCG will have actual character art.
  13. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    then I save my money for the card game and rpg and skip the tabletop game for now. a pity I know but I have no friends nearby to play it anyway.
  14. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  16. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Works fine for me.
  17. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I really wish that they had something akin to Starship Battles. I really wish that WOTC had been able to release one or two add ons to the initial set, as the models they made are rather cool. I have the Viscount watching over my desk at home. The X-wing game looks cool, but I am not sure if it is my cup of tea.

The card game too looks to have some great art, but I have never been into card games (well, outside of Texas Hold 'em & Blackjack), so the card game holds little appeal for me outside of seeing the great pics.

The RPG will be the key for me. Again, I don't play RPG's, but I love to buy the books when they double as sourcebooks. And in that respect, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

--Adm. Nick
  18. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    How much do you want to bet they played a game of poker before signing the Corellian Treaty? :p
    AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  19. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Works now as well, must have been a glitch.
  20. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
  21. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Those dice so need to be added to my collection. :D
  22. cavalier_one Force Ghost

star 4
    I see the X-wing Miniatures are available to buy now ... being in the UK, can anyone recommend a decent seller for Fantasy Flight stuff?
  23. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    miniature game: does it contain lore or just rules + toys? the preview versions had no lore I can recall.. so?
  24. cavalier_one Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure to be honest. Apparently there are four unique pilots per expansion set, but I'm guessing they may be existing characters only. Whether or not the cards themselves have any lore like the CCG cards I'm not sure. I see a lot of previews, but with parts obscured.
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Have you tried Amazon UK? Alternatively, if you're near one of the Forbidden Planet shops you might give them a call. I know the London Megastore has a large gaming section.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Sep 19, 2012