main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Okay. Thanks. They look really cool.

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    They're actually not Legends, as they don't have the Legends banner. They're in limbo like TOR.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    And FFG is getting the Story Group treatment for future books in the series.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

The second has a picture of a G9 Rigger, no?

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yep, they have shown up in a few pkaces since TCW.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Meh, I hope that isn't the case. I prefer these things having extra detail for designing RPG settings, instead of restricting themselves to just NEU material and limiting what people can do.

[​IMG]

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Restricting themselves to just NEU material... the way that, say, Rebels has to restrict themselves to NEU material?

...Because they don't. It's really not what "the Story Group treatment" would do. It wold be recanonizing old EU materials.

Honestly, I think Story Group is just for stories, and it's far more of a "thing" to us than it is the them. Sam Stewart has said that all their ideas go through LFL in advance, and that they're incredibly easy to work with. That's probably because the FFG books don't handle specific events, but more how events would appear from an in-universe perspective.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The thing is that the AoR rulebook touched on certain events that I thought would be rather restricted in the NEU - the birth of the Rebellion, for instance, which wasn't changed one iota from Legend days. That the map didn't have the post-Endor references scrubbed, and, more recently, references to the MMO, is also circumstantially interesting.

My only real concern is Story Group interference, which there doesn't seem to be any so far (indeed, they don't seem to have ever mentioned the RPG) - if it's NEU, that means that - honestly - the entire pre-Endor period will end up being canon. If it's Legends, more Legends material. It's win-win as far as I can see.

(Plus, it's a good game!)

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Well, the map is certainly no indication of anything. For instance, The Truce at Bakura may not have happened, but having Bakura sitting on the map doesn't mean anything.

I'm fairly sure they included the TFU foundations of the Rebellion because FFG is tight with Sam Witwer, who is an avid gamer and interacts with the devs fairly often. It could very easily become a situation like the old canon, where it's canon until deemed necessary to change due to, say, Rebels. I personally have no problem with that; unless the franchise were restricted to a single form of media, total continuity is a myth anyway.

I just think a lot of folks have their perceptions a bit backwards about LFL's priorities with doing a single canon: I don't think the idea is to have every single product released fit the continuity perfectly, so much as it's to have vertical integration which now goes both ways. I think in LFL's mind the biggest difference is that now, a TV show might reference something from a book... but that doesn't mean that absolutely every minute detail will fit. It just means that TV and spinoff film people will be accountable to the same continuity as book and comic people, which is probably why they thought it would sound like they're doing us a big favor; they see it as greater (but not full) accountability which the little guys in lit didn't benefit from so much before, but most fans see it as creating a hard, fast rule about the realities of the GFFA. I think that's a mistake.

There are still things like sourcebooks or videogames which have that same "continuity-immune game mechanic" facet which tends to make them fly under the radar.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Right, that's not what I was talking about - I realize the existence of Byss in AoR doesn't make Dark Empire canon. But IIRC, the map specifically labels the Imperial Remnant and the location of Zonama Sekot with post-Endor dates.

But it's a myth they're promoting right now. I would love to see contradictions this early in the game, but I'll give them enough credit that they won't allow that before Ep7 even comes out.

And I don't believe that for one second. Movie and TV will always be held above books and comics. Even the spinoff movies aren't going to worry about something appearing in some issue of a Marvel comic.

But ultimately, as far as FFG is concerned, my only interest is for the game to be self-consistent in its worldbuilding.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I suspect we're all overthinking it. My guess is that the reboot was precipitated by the ST, nothing more. If it were simply standalone films and shows, they would have continued the piecemeal "canon until we decide to overwrite it" policy, with the EU gamely picking up afterward, as we did after each of the prequels and each week of TCW. E.g., "Well, this new Han Solo movie has rendered Crispin's origin story noncanon, but Daley's books are set later so you get to keep those and the last half of Rebel Dawn." That sort of thing.

But something in the ST storyline has made Bantam and NJO unworkable, and with the EU being so interconnected they felt it was better to pull the plug and start over. All this "one continuity" business is likely just a side benefit: "Well, we're starting from scratch so we might as well keep it integrated going forward."

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, they are pulling the plug on so many things closely interconnected to the films, even calling into question the film novelizations, that it comes across as ridiculous.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Who is?

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree with both of you about that.

On another site I frequent, which is made up more of gamers, who only read in small doses, they've swallowed the pill completely, and talk about Story Group like the Second Coming, and act as if they're going to reinvent the wheel, and manage to make a universe that surpasses any franchise ever before in history, which is just a daydream as there'll still be problems, and when they happen, the promotional rhetoric is going to come back and bite some people hard.

They'd have been better off not making such a big fuss about it, as so many people who I talk to outside of Lit talk about Leland like he's their new hero, having never heard of him before.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

This exactly! I strongly suspect they didn't have a concrete idea (nor is there any indication they have one now) of what their plan was. It's not like they're masked crusaders with superhuman continuity-bridging powers bravely forging a new EU. They probably made their announcement early on because they wanted the fanbase to know continuity would be important, but I doubt we can really expect miracles yet when they themselves most likely don't know what's exactly happening with Ep7 (I'm sure they know a little more than us but... most likely not much.)

Riv_Shiel and Zorrixor like this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Well, I think Leland Chee is my hero, but that's because he has the best job in the world and I've never really held anything against him.

Anyway, I think it'll be better---some effort is better than none at all---and I do think everybody except the numbered film people will be accountable to Story Group... but when I say "accountable," I don't mean "in subjection to." I just mean that's who they'll talk to about this before they decide to break something, instead of talking to no one.

Because the other mistake people make is thinking that this stuff really just falls through the cracks, but the fact is, there are enough script meetings before any given production that every single second IS discussed. That's how you wind up with the old Patton Oswalt trope about stupid studio notes that say things like, "In this scene, she's wearing a hat, but in the next she's wearing shoes too... Should we draw attention away from the shoes? Does it make sense for her to be wearing shoes?" So it's reasonable to assume that if Chee and Hidalgo are in the room and doing what they're paid to do, they'll at least mention these things and make it a conscious decision to change something,

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Who else could it possible be, LFL.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that really a "who"?

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The question, the ultimate question:
    LFL who?
    LFL WHO?
    LFL WHO!?????

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Is there no such thing as a collective who for groups of people?

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, I'd say LFL is a collective noun, so would be singular.

That said, Home One type (Specifically Independence) gun placement!
    [​IMG]
    Fits pretty well with my theory of 6x5 battery blisters + 6 individual batteries mounted in other blisters to the bow.

TrandoJedi and darthscott3457 like this.
  23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why I don't understand why Gamiel is confused by Ender Sai and I's use of who.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hello, non-native English speaker here *waves hand*

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, English is all I have ever really known, beyond a few fictional languages and Latin, so it is very easy for me to only see things from that perspective.