MINIS [Fantasy Flight Games] Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Discussion in 'Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ac4155 Jedi Padawan

With how well this game has been selling, I'm surprised it doesn't have a stronger following on this forum. This Star Wars forum must just not have as strong a miniatures game following.

Anyway, been meaning to pick up this game for a while, finally got the starter game box set yesterday from my local game store after getting back from Uni. Looking forward to playing it.

Wave 3 looks good, though I hope they can get production of Waves 1 & 2 sorted out. I'm still a little behind on my ship purchasing...
  2. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    I got to play this a couple of weeks ago (just the starter set). I liked it, but would like to have more miniatures in play next time (we should be feasible considering how many of my gaming group have purchased it).

On a related note, numerous play mats have been popping up on BoardGameGeek to play on, including a Death Star version:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/88729/death-star-play-mat-v2
  3. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Tried this for the first time. It was a lot of fun (mostly because I got to play as Maarek Stele on our Imperial team) but I don't have the discretionary funds available at the moment to pick up and grow a collection of my own.
  4. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Oops, I picked up two starter sets anyway.
    Draconarius, MarcusP2 and Jedi_Dajuan like this.
  5. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think I've gotten enough Rebel ships for my tastes (3 x-wings and the Falcon.)

Any advice for putting together an Imperial list? Are 2 TIE Advanced ever really worth it, or is it generally better to just have 1 for Vader, and then go with squints/eyeballs?
  6. Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just got the starter box. Pretty fun so far!
  7. Loupgarou Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I own it...but have yet to play it. The group in portland, OR i've found plays while i'm at work :/ Well, if there happen to be any portland folks reading this, PM me, ha.
  8. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    it's ridiculous the base set retails for $39.99 (i got it on sale for $27.99) the falcon alone is $29.99 more then i payed for the entire base set. the regular expansions ships are $14.99 which is just as ridiculus. another guy said the miniatures booster was 14 pounds or euros and the booster and the ship alone is 10 pounds/euros while in the booster was the same exact price as the 1 ship, so you get 1 ship for the price of 7 miniatures, not to mention when the miniatures game was going out of business they were clearancing the booster's at target, originally it went from 14.99 to 7.99 then it went to 3.99 per booster i picked up like 9 of them for 4 bucks and 2 for 8 bucks.
  9. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    This is a totally different beast to the Wizards game, my friend. The product is of much higher quality (in a number of ways, not just the sculpts), for one thing. Second, one ship is a big deal in this game; ten ships on the table at once would mean you're in for a fairly prolonged slugfest, while with the old minis anything less than 20 would be over in no time.

Anyway, I got introduced by a friend a few weeks ago, and I'm loving the game so far. My fleet has turned out a bit lopsided though. I've got 2 X-wings and 2 A-wings on one side, with 2 Fighters, 2 Interceptors, an Advanced and Slave I on the other. I'd really like to get my hands on a Y-wing or two, but they've turned out to be darn near impossible to find.
  10. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Currently at 3 X-Wings, 1 A-Wing, 1 YT-1300 on the Rebel side, 5 TIE Fighters and 2 Interceptors on the glorious Empire team. Planning on picking up a Lambda and B-Wing from Wave 3, then grab a TIE Advanced at some point too.

The upcoming larger ships are really neat looking, but will definitely be out of my price range.
  11. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Money and people to play with are basically the only things keeping me out of this, same with Edge of the Empire and the rest of the FFG Star Wars RPG.
  12. Labria_uk Force Ghost

star 3
    A friend of mine in work recommanded it, I've played 2 games against myself with just the core set and I really like it. So far got 2 Core Sets (4x Tie Fighter & 2x X-Wing) Tie Bomber, Millienium Falcon & Slave 1, need to get more of the smaller ships and finding out when a local games shop plays it.
  13. imiller Force Ghost

star 3
    I love this game, and the announcement about Wave 4 has me walking on air - except for the Phantom TIE. But then, I love the idea of the HWK, while actually thinking it was a dumb choice and execution (it's half as big as it should be, at least according to the measurements I dug up).

I have one core set (1 X-Wing and 2 TIE/Ln), and several expansions - X-Wing (because WEDGE!), A-Wing (because TYCHO! also A-Wings rock), B-Wing (kinda wish Ten Numb wasn't the heavy), TIE Interceptor (because Fel! And Phennir!), TIE Bomber (because I wanted to see what it's like against a B-Wing - answer: it murders), and the TIE Avenger (because my friend wanted Darth Vader, and I wanted him to play with me and say, "I have you now" at appropriate moments). I'm hoping to get the Rebel Transport (because Janson and Hobbie! And maybe cool anti-capship scenarios!), the E-Wing (to counter the Defender), the TIE Defender (the most Mary Suest of all Mary Sues in starfighter form), and the Headhunter.