main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy YJ 2.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    This is from a thread that was started on the Decipher message boards. Someone suggested that maybe YJ needs a "Second Edition" treatment. I suggested changing the game so that all three planets are played simultaneously, instead of one at a time:

- At the start of the game, player 1 chooses one of the three starting locations. Player 2 chooses the next one, which may not be on the same planet, and Player 1 chooses the last one.

For example, player 1 chooses Tatooine Desert Landing Site. Player 2 may not choose a Tatooine site, and chooses the Coruscant Jedi Council Chamber. Player 1 then chooses the last site, which must be a Naboo site.

- Non-unique characters and weapons still deploy normally. A unique character or weapon may only be deployed at a single location, although you may have multiple copies of a stackable character/weapon at that location.

- "Face down" rule applies to the first three turns (for each player) instead of just the first turn of the game. First turn each player may only deploy to the first starting locaiton. Second turn may only deploy to the second location, and third turn to the third. On the start of your fourth turn, turn all of your face down cards face up.

- You may have one effect in play at each planet. Because effects are unique, you may not have two copies of the same effect in play at the same time.

- No changes to starship deployment or battling. You can transport charactes off of any one of the three planets during your Deploy Step. You can not transport more than once per turn, though.

- In the Battle step, you may initiate battle at each location where you and your opponent each have at least one character. You pick which order you want the battles to occur during your turn.

- No changes to Even Up Step.

- If at the end of either player's turn you control two planets, you win. Otherwise, each player takes one damage for each planet their opponent controls. You may still win the game by "decking" your opponent.

If any of you play YJ, let me know what you think of the above....

I'm thinking there would need to be a change to the breakthrough rule, but I don't know what change should be made....

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm in favor of having three sites out at the same time.

3. NissoJape

NissoJape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    YJ, that's young jedi right? that wasn't an expansion to the original was it? I have never seen it in action.

4. PloK

PloK Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2002
    I love the idea!

There might be a need to either expand hand size by a couple of cards or prevent combat for a couple of turns though.

5. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Ahhh.. "crazy" YJ.. good stuff :D I saw a similar idea in a Scrye article once. Two rules I loved from that article:

- the ditching of the "surrender" rule. This rule got a little ridiculous towards YJ's later stages. Ditching this would give YJ a nice LOTR flavor of "Fight.. or Fight"

- Must Control Two. Artie touched on the basics here. All I would add is that you have to control two sites at once. Meaning, a player may still freely deploy to the one site you currently control. I would even go so far as saying that Naboo would have to be one of the two.

Another cool rule in this article was a YJ "Force drain". Basically you could declare a battle at a site you control and the opponent would have to take "breakthrough". Speaking of which, that would not need to be changed with the above v2.

Other rules I would propose (perhaps they would make good cards):

- Anakin couldn't be used until the LS occupies it during the course of the game.

- Senators and Jedi (except Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul) cannot be played anywhere except Coruscant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.