main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FANZILLACON 2004 - The Aftermath

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishyko

Ishyko Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2000
    Worldcon. That'a an international convention that travels around the world and is a HUGE success. I've never attended but from what I hear it is the con of cons for costumers.

I'd love to attend Fanzillacon 2005 but again, Not April 16. And I'm hoping to attend SCWIII the following weekend with my 501st brothers and sisters :)

2. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I agree with Dorkman.

Bookmark this page. ;)

3. nMe

nMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    Congratulations to JediTAC for being the first person to campaign for a locations change to their own area and actually offer to help out with it, instead of just listing reasons why it should be elsewhere.

Again, I fail to see why Mark & Scott should be expected to overextend themselves and organize a convention on the other side of the continent. Any of you West Coasters could do it much easier. Call it Fanzillacon West or something.

Yes, I was there too, when Mark said Fanzillacon 2005 would be in Las Vegas. I like to believe, and he is more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, that that was a statement made in the heat of the moment, fueled by good feelings and the positive vibe in the air at the time. However, on closer inspection, Mark may have realized that the Mass Bay Film Project may not be able to justify the expense of a Las Vegas convention after a financual analysis of the 2004 con.

I, personally, think Vegas is a bad idea (and not because it is out West). Unlike most other cities, there is SO much going on in LV on any given day, that I think it will be impossible to attract much of a walk-in audience. Fanzillacon in Vegas would be like opening a lemonade stand in the middle of DisneyWorld. In contrast, Boston is a fairly small (geographically) city, there aren't a ridiculous number of competing attractions, and as it's probably the largest college town in the country, there are scads of young fans looking for something inexpensive to do on any given weekend (which is why I think they want to have it while school's still in session).

In short, it makes sense for them to wait until there is proven demand - beyond the handful of people posting on this board - before turning Fanzillacon into a travelling circus.

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Again, I fail to see why Mark & Scott should be expected to overextend themselves and organize a convention on the other side of the continent. Any of you West Coasters could do it much easier. Call it Fanzillacon West or something.

Well, for starters, Fanzillacon is Mark and Scott's creation. Why would anyone want to steal their thunder by organizing their own "Fanzillacon" convention.

Secondly, I don't see why it would be such an "overextension" for Mark & Scott to consider other locations (out West or otherwise) and/or enlist the assistance of people in these areas to help with various elements. Granted, I cannot speak for everyone (or anyone, for that matter), but I would bet that there would be several people in any given area who would be enthusiatic about lending a hand.

Boston is an awesome town - no doubt . . . I love it a lot. There are a lot of things/places to go and see. Again, my suggestion for considering alternative future locations was merely just that ... a suggestion for how (in my opinion) some diversity and potential growth could be afforded the Fanzillacon event.

And I also believe that there should be just ONE Fanzillacon event a year ... having an "East" or "West" version would be duplicative and, in my opinion, take away some of the uniqueness, anticipation and novelty from the event.

Anyway, that's my explanation. [face_mischief]

JediTAC

5. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    What I like the most about Fanzillacon (and I wasn't even there) was that it was all the regular fan film makers hooking up. Not the corporate, "professional" people.

I was thinking of the possibility that it might be worth it to inviting someone from LFL or ILM to give a guest speech or lectures or seminars. But then I thought, who wants that? This is really about the fans making films, not film makers kow towing to the establishment.

Fanzillacon is about the upcoming generation. If anything, ILM and LFL should be sending "scouts" to check us out. If you do it right (and consistently), Fanzillacon has the potential to be the showcase convention for all types of fan films. Isn't this what everyone wants, more attention for their "amateur" films. The Sundance Festival for fan films.

The other thing that gets me with something like SW Celebrations, is that it's an openly corporate event. Only official atom.com films will be shown. All the tables are official SW merchandisers. Etc. Etc. Etc. Because it's official, no one is allowed to be objective about what they think. Celebrations is a great SW fan attraction, but we all know it's a SW merchandising trade fair.

6. PinkFive

PinkFive Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    Chris Hanel, you are such a cutie, using my picture as your icon. =) Hi to everyone who I met in Worcester. Fanzillacon was quite the whirlwind experience. Everyone was extremely gracious and fun. I think I heard more dirty jokes that weekend than ever before...New material!! Thanks, guys! Fig, it was super cool meeting you. You are a really cool cat and it was nice to hear your thoughts on our littlel sequel. To all of those who saw the sneak peak, we found out today we're in the Atomfilms contest, so maybe we'll see you in San Diego. Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane. Oh dear. If we ever speak again in person, I'll tell you why I didn't go out with you guys that night. And don't make it sound like I made you wait till eleven; the festivities were still going well beyond that. That being said...Lets do lunch. =)
    Chris and Steve, you guys are my heroes. For a million and one laughs, I thank you. "The Aristocrats!!!" *jazz hands*
    To everyone else who was there and I've failed to mention, thank you for your unconditional support. Best to all! xoxo Amy

7. PinkFive

PinkFive Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    Wow, can't believe I almost forgot...CHAD...You are the BEST. Thank you so much for the t-shirt, the coffee, the Worcester diner experience, the chocolate, did I say the coffee?? You were an awesome host. Thank you!!!

Trey, Chris, Steve: Thanks for proving chivalry is NOT DEAD. You guys are the best. xo

8. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
  9. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I wish we coulda met ya Amy...I guess we just missed ya...*SIGH*

~Rory

10. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Gee, there're a lot of Amy icons in here... ;)

11. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I know if I changed mine to that, Chris would have a mental breakdown ;)

12. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Reminds me of just a little while ago when we had the attack of the AmazingB clones in YJCC. :p

13. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I know if I changed mine to that, Chris would have a mental breakdown

Yeah ...it's bad enough you have to try to emulate me, causing all kinds of confusion.

14. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    emulate who? This was my original icon from when I registered, it was you who jumped onto the Crunchy bandwagon ;)

:p

15. ScottCHamilton

ScottCHamilton Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2004
    Okay folks, here's the scoop.

First of all, I'll be helming next year's festival.(I think I already posted that).

Secondly, Why Boston? Cause I live an hour away.

Next, Why not LV? My thought is that having this in other states is a fabulous idea BUT in order to do this we'd have to have a Boston area festival that is a success both in guest satisfaction and monetarily. Let me reiterate... If we ain't got the dough we ain't gonna go. It's as simple as that.

Hence Boston is the place to be next April. We'll try and plan it for either the week before or the week after the new SW movie openings (yup, even Revelations Shane ;)

I would love to have it in Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Hilton and do it up right. It's just going to take some time.

If anyone has any questions you can contact me at scott@hamiltoons.com and I'll be happy to answer them. Also if there are any suggestions pass them my way as well.

Until my next post.

Scott H
    Festival Director
    F2 2005

16. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    I haven't chimed in on Fanzillicon since Hanel has been taking care of it for the staff. Congrats to everyone involved. It sounds like a fun weekend. I'm glad to hear next year is going to be even bigger and in Boston. This gives me an excuse to come out there. The date of the event will matter greatly for myself and I'm sure, a lot of other folks here.

If there is anything we can do to help you guys, just let us know.

17. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    If we ain't got the dough we ain't gonna go

Ever think of looking for sponsors ?? ;)

18. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    TAC, I know it's intentions are mostly humor, but you're speaking impolitely to someone that's run exactly 100% more conventions than you. I think the idea of sponsors has been well investigated and implemented in getting *any* con off the ground.

-Chris

19. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    With all due respect, Chris, it was a legitimate question.

I think the idea of sponsors has been well investigated and implemented in getting *any* con off the ground.

Alright then, but this information was not clearly communicated to us. Once again, my question is both valid and legitimate. Are you quite certain that the idea of sponsorship (be it vendor/corporate, private, local, etc.) has been "well investigated and/or implemented?" If this is the case, and Scott can, perhaps, provide some additional information on his efforts and the types of responses he received, then that would certainly address the question. :)

I do not believe I should be chastized for posing a question.

JediTAC

20. LittlePitcher

LittlePitcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    I think the main point is Fanzillacon has nothing to do with you, TAC... Scott doesn't have to justify ANYTHING to you, as you had nothing to do with the planning, marketing, promotion or even simple attendance at the con... let them run *their* convention where, when and how they want to... it's their right... feel differently? If you feel differently, run your own blasted convention...

You set yourself up as some kind of fanfilm authority... why? What film have you made? What actual contribution have you made to the fan filmmaking community, other than being a pompous git on miscellaneous occasions?

LP

21. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
  22. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Keep cool, my babies!
    [image=http://www.towerhost.com/~ryan-w/misc/conan2.jpg]

23. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Holy moley ... I ask some questions and everyone feels the need to jump all over my back ??? :eek:

WHERE did I say I was the authority on FanFilmmaking, Fanzillacon, FanFilms, Conventions, etc.??

WHERE did I say anything about someone having to "justify" anything to me or anyone?

How ironic that the very cynicism and ill-willed behavior you accuse me of is clearly demonstrated in your unmitigated flame directed to me, Little Pitcher. And how sad that you have unilaterally decided to turn this into yet another "let's try to derail JediTAC" effort.

All I did was pose a question or two . . . nothing more, nothing less. I didn't realize this was such a crime.

JediTAC

24. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    hey everyone lets derail tac

25. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    WHERE did I say I was the authority on FanFilmmaking, Fanzillacon, FanFilms, Conventions, etc.??

Well...your sig for one thing, which until apparently moments ago read:

"JediTAC - The DEFINITIVE Name in FanFilm Review"

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.