main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're Moving - Answers to your common questions (updated 6/18)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 3, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If you haven't heard, The Jedi Council Forums will soon be moving to a new server and a new forum software. Read the details here. This thread will attempt to provide answers to the most common questions. Please read through this thread before asking your question, as it may have already been answered.

[u][b]Answers to Common Questions About the Move[/b][/u]
    [ul][li][b]When are we moving?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Where are we moving to? Will the URL still be boards.theforce.net?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Why are we moving? What's wrong with just staying here?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Will I have to re-register my username? Will I lose my posts? What about my private messages?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Are we going to lose anything in the move?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Why am I being told to update my private email address? How do I update it?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]What if I don't have an extra email address for one of my accounts?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]What forum software are we using on the new boards and why?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Is everything going to look different on the new boards? What's going to change?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]Are there going to be any new features?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]I know of a new feature I would like to see. Can we have it on the new boards?[/b][/li]
    [li][b]tl;dr, just show me some freakin' pics![/b][/li][/ul]
    [hr]

[b]When are we moving?[/b]
    We don't know yet. It all depends on when IGN does the data export. All we know right now is that it should be sometime in the next few months.

[b]Where are we moving to? Will the URL still be boards.theforce.net?[/b]
    The boards will still be on boards.theforce.net, but instead of being hosted by IGN, we will be hosted on a new server on TFN.

[b]Why are we moving? What's wrong with just staying here?[/b]
    We have to move. IGN is telling us they can't guarantee they can keep hosting our boards much longer. They have also stopped providing us technical support. If we don't move now, we risk losing the boards forever.

[b]Will I have to re-register my username? Will I lose my posts? What about my private messages?[/b]
    You should not have to re-register your username and we are working to make sure that all posts and private messages will transfer over. We cannot make any guarantees, however.

[b]Are we going to lose anything in the move?[/b]
    We are doing everything we can to make sure nothing is lost in the move. However, we can't guarantee anything. At the very least, we hope users, posts, forums, and private messages all transfer. Just in case, [b][hl=lightsteelblue][color=darkslategray]DarthXan318[/color][/hl][/b] has created a very handy tool that will allow you to easily download and back up any thread or forum, or even your private messages. [link=http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/30896115/p1/]Check it out here![/link]

[b]Why am I being told to update my private email address? How do I update it?[/b]
    As stated in the global announcement in the forum header, [i][b]all users must make sure they have an active private email address in their profile[/b][/i]. If you don't, [color=darkred][i][b]you may not be able to log into your account after the move[/b][/i][/color].

I have been told there is a good chance that passwords will not transfer over to the new boards. If that's the case, then all users will need to have a new password emailed to them in order to log in. If you do not have a working email under "private email address" in your profile, you will not be able to reset your password. Mods and Admins will not be able to look up your password either.

[u][i]How to update your email address:[/i][/u]

1. Log into your account and click on "Options" at the top of the page.
    2. Click on "Change Your User Details".
    3. Halfway down the page, you should see two email address fields. One is Public (this email is visible to all users who view your profile), the other is Private. You do not have to enter a Public email address.
    4. Enter a working email address you can use to receive your new password after the move.

[u][i]

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Markup codes won't be changing, right?:p

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Expect markups to be the same. We'll also be adding a few new ones eventually I'm sure. The only one I'm sure we'll be adding right away is a spoiler markup.

4. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Will you be doing away with red for font and highlight colors? :p

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That would be user discrimination........................I don't think Grimby would be a supporter of that.:p

6. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    How are we going to know when you have moved,and the boards is up and running?

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    As soon as we know anything about when the move is going to happen, we will post it here and update the announcement at the top of the forum. We will do our best to make sure everyone knows when things are going to happen.

8. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    So threads and things may not be moved over?

....I'll miss my thread if thats the case:(

9. Husion

Husion Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2010
    It looks like I need to ask this in here.

It is not related to the move, but it is a common question:

A manager just informed me to not write three posts in a row.

The problem is, I was responding to three different people.

How do you respond to three different people simultaneously? If I were to answer just one post the other members would think I am ignoring their points.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You mean, like you were replying to three people in one thread? Just do something like:

User One - you are so right!

User Two - I love your sig

User Three - Go sports team!!

Or you could quote each of their post, copy and paste so they're all in one post, and write your response under each quote.

If you have any questions about moderator actions, could can always take it up with that person via Private Message as well - that's usually the best way to get the information you seek :)

11. Husion

Husion Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2010
    Thank you, Gurl [I forget your nickname at present].

I guess in times like these, I'll need to click on the internet multiple times and simply drag points I want to respond to the one with the box.

I'll remember to click on the manager's name who informed me of the rules in the future! ;)

12. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Just for comparison purposes with that list of vbulletin boards you linked to:

How many users and posts do we have here?

13. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    You can see the number of posts at the top of the main JC screen (27,334,886 as of now) and the number of users on the Users Online screen (250,983). That might not take into account deleted posts and users though.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    A few questions that I don't think have been answered (sorry if they have), based on the vBulletin test board screen shots above.

[face_monkey] Will everyone have custom and/or default user titles? Right now only mods and admins have user titles, but those screen shots make it look like everyone will. On most vBulletin boards with titles, there is a default title (sometimes based on post count), but it can be customized by the user.

[face_monkey] Will there be no post counts or stars based on post counts? Those screen shots show neither. On most vBulletin boards, there is either a post count displayed, stars based on post counts (like we have here now), or both.

[face_monkey] Will our current icons stay with each user? I think I already saw somewhere else that the plan is to not enable uploading of personal icons/avatars, at least not right away (I agree with that, by the way).

Thanks.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    VIPs also have titles here.

As far as the screen shots go, those might be a bit deceptive where titles and colors come into the equation. As I recall most of the people doing the testing at the time were defined as mods or admins on the test system. Hence the proliferation of titles.

As far as icons go the plan is for the ones available here to be available on the new system. They are not on the IGN servers so right now they don't need to move. (They are hosted on the same TFN server as the banner images and board scripts). Just in case NYCitygirl and some of her helpers are doing an icon inventory so we have a complete list of them.

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Our goal is to make the boards look and feel the same as they do now. With that in mind...

- We will not be turning on user titles.

- We will be keeping the stars.

- There is a chance icons will stay with each user if we can get them installed before the move and IGN exports that data.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks, Fett and Grimby.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

And what would the harm be if you did?

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    ...says the VIP who has a title :p

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This can certainly be a subject for a future discussion, but for now it's just one of those things we don't want to deal with right away.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Good. :D :p And Rogue, I would love the chance to edit my title, especially during the NBA playoffs...................but I can't.

22. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    Will there be a mobile optimized view?

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We are looking into available options for mobile browsers. There are some add-ons for vBulletin that optimize the site for mobile users, so yes, we will have it in some form.

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The pictures from 2005 were nice, reassuring and impressive to see!

On the Users Online screenshot - top right - you will have to remember to knock out the IP addresses column, if it can be accessed by all and sundry.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm pretty sure that column appears only for mods+, but all the screenshots are taken by such.