[FAQ] We're Moving - Answers to your common questions (updated 6/18)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby, Apr 3, 2010.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Looks like you can maintain jcc visuals on that one too which would be great :D
  2. Rainbow Knight Star Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I hope the new place is Jaws friendly. What I mean is, I hope it works with my voice program named "Jaws."
    I have encountered no problems over here in my five years as a member.
  3. roguegirl Force Ghost

star 4
    I just want you to know that swforce2003@yahoo.com is still my email address.and it's in my profile.where do i confirm?
  4. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    When yuo to to "options" and edit your profile, there's a box for "private email." That's where you need to input your email.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Roguegirl - you have it in your profile as your public email address. You need to add it as your private email address. To do that, go to Options in the forum header. Once there, click on Change Your User Details . Scroll down to Private E-Mail Address:. Add it there and then click on Update Details at the bottom of the screen. If you have any problems post them here or in the Tech Issues thread.
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    prj1 - I've asked about your issue in the Move thread in MS. Maybe Dingo or Grimby will know. I did a quick Google search earlier on JAWS and vBulletin and didn't see any indication that it wouldn't work.
  7. TheGreatTikiGod Jedi Padawan

I am curious will all socks come over if you have set all your private email addresses to the same email address?

Its me beezel26 and I have about ten socks that use the same email address. Whenever I want to check my passwords I just log out and put in my email address in the section of lost password and get all ten of them.

8. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    At the very least, make sure your primary account has a unique email address. We don't really know at this point what the system is going to do when multiple accounts have the same email address. Better to be safe then sorry.
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    prj1 - Grimby suggested that you try your software on the forums at vbulletin.com. That is the software we will be using, though their forums use a newer version of it. If your software works there then any problems you have on the new site will hopefully just be local issues.
  10. Rainbow Knight Star Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Jaws works great over there.
    Thank you.

:)
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    No problem! I hope things work just as well when we move.
  12. roguegirl Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok.it's done.hey.I remember your old format.I have no problem with that. as long as TheForce.Net stays online,I'm okey with the changes.
  13. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    My public an private website are basically the same: shadowphoenix5@yahoo.com

Besides, i am consistently logged in to this website. I do not believe that i have logged out since i joined in the first place. Should be all good, right?
  14. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Nobody's going to "stay logged in" after the move. If the passwords don't transfer like we're expecting, you're going to have to reset your password and have it sent to you via email just like everyone else. But if your private email address is up to date, that's all that matters.
  15. Sith-I-5 Chosen One

star 5
    Hi.

Will the twenty post minimum for the Private Messaging facility still apply at the new site?

Sithy
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Not sure on this one. Hopefully Grimby will know. If the option is under our control I'm sure we will set it lower than 20. A lot of people have complained about it.
  17. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    There will still be a post minimum, but we'll set it to something much lower, like 5.
  18. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Do we have a definite date for this move yet? I keep hearing about it and hearing about it and am wondering if it is going to happen when I am away or when I least expect it. Will you give us alot of warning or is it just going to "bong" happen overnight.
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    We will give you whatever warning we can. To quote Grimby from the other thread...

20. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    ...so the answer to the very first FAQ question is still accurate.
  21. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    I sincerely hope everything of mine from ten years ago is deleted.
  22. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Grimby: What are those little icons that clutter up the screen underneath each username/icon (in the screencaps shown from the test boards in the latest MSU)?

L.A. > Boston
  23. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    They are links for contacting the poster via IM. They are turned on in vBulletin by default. We're currently discussing whether or not to keep them, though the majority so far have been in favor of losing them. The same links are still in the user's profile, so removing them from posts wouldn't mean removing them from the boards entirely.
  24. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Got it. I must say, the aesthetic look of the test board is very, very good. Good job on that.

L.A. > Boston
  25. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Thanks. We're trying very hard to make it feel like these old IGN boards. At the same time, you will find some of the features of vBulletin to be welcome upgrades. For example, there's a quick reply box at the bottom of thread pages that makes it a lot easier to post, well, quick replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza