main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're NOT moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    don't forget the cost of rent. remember, that's why we're moving. We can't afford IGN anymore.....

2. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    I'm surprised at IGN to be honest. TFN has been a good organization to them with lots of users and lots of traffic.

I can't believe they wouldn't want to bargain that $2000/month offer down or renew the contract for a couple more years at least.

3. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    well, that's what was presented to us; check the threads....

4. JediElanor

JediElanor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    I know I am in no position to make a suggestion, but it seems ezboard could be a possibility, however I cannot be sure since it does seems to charge a lot of money for even small boards (then again, I could be wrong).

Hope every little bit helps,

Elanor

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You are in a position to make suggestions. We encourage it. Thank you for the input provided. :)

6. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Wise said up to $2000/month.

That's a theoretical maximum, NOT the monthly running costs.

I'd imagine the real reason is so he can pocket the Ad revenue.

UKS

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Now come on, no cheap shots. $2,000 is several hundred above my mortgage payment. That's a great deal of money.

8. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    why is the contract running out now..

wouldnt it be smarter to have had the contract last until after C3 and ROTS???

i guess it IGN's lost, i bet they make alot of money off all those darn banner adds.

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I believe it was a five-year contract. Sure, it would have been better to have a contrct through 2006, but that's probably what was available at the time.

I guess this a question better answered by Josh.

10. Jedi_Whispers

Jedi_Whispers Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    One would almost think for $2000, IGN would be fighting to keep us. Not to mention the money they make off the ads. They come out of this with a bustling profit.

~*Whisper*~

11. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Can we get a coke machine installed?

12. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Everything would get stick, because of all the spilled coke. Just imagine, sticky threads everwhere!

13. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

I don't think Iggy was talking about that kind of coke. ;)

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Then he better start talking about Coca-Cola.

15. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Cocaine does not come from a "coke machine"

It's quite obvious what Ignant was referring to.

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    A lot of you don't seem to realize just how expensive it can be to host a site like this, especially with all the bandwidth and space that it uses. The banner ads aren't any great source of revenue, since most people rarely click them, and because, as Firefox and ad-blocking software becomes more popular, fewer and fewer people even see the ads anymore.

17. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    You have to remember people who run these boards and IGN dont exactly have the greatest brain in the world. It is like a 36 year old having the brain of a 4 year old they just dont use them.

18. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Will we be able to upload our own icons?

Probably not, and not due to physical restrictions: it's the opinion of the Mod Squad that control over icons should be kept by us to ensure a) a basic level of quality, b) that the icons don't get too large and cumbersome for 56k users to load, and c) that nothing profane or unacceptable to the TOS will be uploaded.

I agree completely with this. As for why, let me add another reason.

d) people are likely to upload icons with spoilers in them which will tick off me and others who are spoiler-free for Episode 3.

Thank you.

Also, if the new system would be able to have a way for people to block out spoiler avatars, that would be superb.

Thanks again. :)

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    What about the TOS/PG rating for the forums? I hope that doesn't change

20. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    What about the TOS/PG rating for the forums? I hope that doesn't change

Since the TOS aren't explicited tied to IGN, I'd imagine they wouldn't change when we move. :)

Also, if the new system would be able to have a way for people to block out spoiler avatars, that would be superb.

There's a way to do that now that doesn't involve the board system at all. Download Mozilla Firefox and install the "Adblock" extension, and set it to block all images from http://www1.theforce.net/icons/episode3/ (as per the instructions at the top of this forum). That will prevent you from seeing any spoiler avatars currently in the JC's icon archives. :)

I_F

21. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    so, in 2000 we didnt put 3 and 3 together and know ROTS would be out this year, and to get a longer contract.

22. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There's a way to do that now that doesn't involve the board system at all. Download Mozilla Firefox and install the "Adblock" extension, and set it to block all images from http://www1.theforce.net/icons/episode3/ (as per the instructions at the top of this forum). That will prevent you from seeing any spoiler avatars currently in the JC's icon archives.

Tried it.

It blocks all images not just from the Episode3 folder for some reason. So I see no avatars.

Which is fine.

However, at work I'm locked into IE because I work for network nazis so that doesn't help me 50% of the time.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    A lot of you don't seem to realize just how expensive it can be to host a site like this, especially with all the bandwidth and space that it uses. The banner ads aren't any great source of revenue, since most people rarely click them, and because, as Firefox and ad-blocking software becomes more popular, fewer and fewer people even see the ads anymore.

But if the JC is really that unwieldly, how can we afford to host it ourselves? Would the new site still have ad banners, then?

I don't know. I suppose I'm rather ignorant of how such things work.

24. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Tried it.

It blocks all images not just from the Episode3 folder for some reason. So I see no avatars.

Which is fine.

However, at work I'm locked into IE because I work for network nazis so that doesn't help me 50% of the time.

On IE, if you're really serious about the icons, you can go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, then scroll down the list until you see "Multimedia". Under that heading, uncheck "Show Pictures". This will stop you from seeing any images at any website you visit, so it's very, very high-handed. It will, though, prevent Episode III spoiler images from leaking through. :)

I_F

25. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    shakes head, I know Ezboards are not that cheap, and the popups are extremely bad, thats why some of the groups moved to different boards

and Ezboards would crash with the amount of traffic the JC gives

actually theres very few servers would be able to handle this type of traffic anyway [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.