main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're NOT moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    I don't get it, will the boards still have a TF.N URL?

shred edit:

I want to upload my own icon!! :_|

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, the boards will most likely still be found at the same address.

3. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004

=D=

~Rogue~

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    FEMA would have done a better job at this.

5. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Are you blaming IGN or the JC Administration?

I_F

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    At this point, both.

7. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    ^Hasn't it been proved by now that it's IGN that's being the pain and that the Admins can't do anything about it?

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    :eek: They're holding us hostage! :eek:

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Alethia posted on 9/24/05 9:31am
    ^Hasn't it been proved by now that it's IGN that's being the pain and that the Admins can't do anything about it? [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Maybe so, but the mods should have realized that certainly could have happend when the made the announcement all of those months ago. They should have waited until they knew for certain that we were going to move.[/color]

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's being naive.

The information would have leaked out, and then the administration would have been accused of hiding important information about the JC's future.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Regardless, making the announcement that we were going to move in January & it's already is September was ridiculous.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The JC administration has no responsibility for the current situation. Had things gone the way the administration wished, we would have moved a long time ago.

13. Jedi_Whispers

Jedi_Whispers Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    I think the administration fully expected IGN to cooperate. Its not their fault that IGN is taking forever.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah, we did think it would be "within weeks" and then the outcry would have been big and loud if it happened a few days after we had announced it

if you think it's all our fault, feel free to, we can live with that. Just don't expect an apology or something.

I'd almost dare say it hit us harder than the rest of the users. Mostly our tech guys setting everything up, though.

15. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Instead of complaining about it send Dingo and Raven, et al a dozen roses and chocolate for all their hard work. They don't get paid for this you know. ;)

16. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    IGN's probably just keeping us here to spite us [face_not_talking]

17. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    It may be taking awhile, but I would still like to thank everyone that's helping out with this move, because I can tell that it's taking a lot of work to move a gigantic forum like this. Thanks to all of you for your dedication to this, even if IGN isn't letting us move as fast as we'd like to! [:D]

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    TwiLekJedi posted on 9/24/05 11:00am
    yeah, we did think it would be "within weeks" and then the outcry would have been big and loud if it happened a few days after we had announced it

if you think it's all our fault, feel free to, we can live with that. Just don't expect an apology or something.

I'd almost dare say it hit us harder than the rest of the users. Mostly our tech guys setting everything up, though. [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]I'm not completely blaming you guys, but I would like to ask this question, which can be an obvious one to ask: Shouldn't you guys have entertained the possibility of IGN not fully cooperating?[/color]

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm sorry, because you in all your infinite wisdom, skill and experience obviously know more about these boards, the relationship with IGN, and the internet in general than 2 of the 3 people who have had the most experience in technical matters relating to the JC, and also in dealings with IGN.

Frankly, unless you can think of something positive to say, how about you stop posting in Comms and thus don't come across as a petulant little child that has been sulking for the last, what, 6 months because you could not get something that you wanted. You have no idea of what has occurred in relation to this project beyond what is posted in this thread, and that is but a small fraction of all that has occurred.

There are only about 6 people who have any right whatsoever to hold any sort of bad feelings over this, and none of us do. None of us got any recompensation for the time and effort that went into this. Even if you were to take the absolute lowest rate that I charge for dev work, I would be owed more right now that IGN are wanting from TFN for a single month.

Edit:

a) IGN aren't "not fully cooperating". They were in the middle of a few other changes to their entire site and board system at the time a request for a sample of the database to determine the conversions required for the move. As this time extended too close to the release of RotS, the project was put on hold. From there it is in the hands of Philip and Astaran to get it going again when the factors match up.

b) Apart from a couple of occassions where it took maybe a week or two, IGN have always promptly answered any issues that I have ever had to address with them even when their tech team consisted of people who had very little actual experience with the IGNBoards software. This plus the other factors involved meant that we were perfectly able to take IGN at their word.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Ok, perhaps I didn't take much of that into account, so I thank for clearing things up.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Out of curiosity, can I see a picture of the banned sceen?

22. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    we're still here???? :rolleyes:

23. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I think Search is worst feature on here, and needs MAJOR improvement!!!

Often I search, I don't find the thread that I KNOW DO exist! [face_plain]

Hopefully, the NEW software takes care of that problem! :)

24. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I was wondering...do the owners of TFN still have to pay IGN each month for being here? Wasn't it like, $2000 a month? I'd just like some clarifications on all the fiscal details.

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    [voice_Donkey]

Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?!

Are. We. There. Yet???

[/voice]

P.S.: Sorry for the annoying spam. Couldn't resist. ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.