main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Farscape

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't know how many people here watch the show, or even know what it's about, but next week is the series finally :_|

Basically the Sci-Fi Channel bought the show for a 5th season, but after finishing season 4, literally called up the staff and told them they were fired. Apparently the new head of SFC doesn't like space shows and the 1.5 million average people watching just weren't good enough, go figure.

Anyway, I found this at one of the Trek boards I visit and thought it would be a good thing to spread amongst the friends I have made here:

A special thanks to The Sci-Fi Channel for bringing us the incredible television series Farscape. A show that is truly one of the best written, directed and produced shows in television genre history. And a horribly huge and monsterous FRELL YOU to the same dip$hit, narrowminded, @ss-wad network known to many as the Sci-Suk Channel, for canceling the same series that set the new standard for genre television. FARSCAPE ends its four year run next Friday night at 8pm. It is my hope that all genre fans will tune in that night and give this wonderful series a heart-felt good-bye. A series that will truly be missed. A special thanks to the actors, special effects guru's, writers and working stiffs that made it all happen. :)

So, you all know where I will be this Friday at 8pm, crying my eyes out in front of my telelvision, then promptly hiring the meanest SOB bounty hunter I can find to go rip Bonnie Hammer (head SFC *insert word here*) a new one.

And if I'm not on the boards for a little while, well, I'll be getting my money out of my Season 1 and 2 DVD's.

I guess I should give a run down of the series now, huh? Basically astronaut John Crichton gets sucked into a wormhole and becomes a fugative on board a living prison ship full of aliens. He was being hunted by a rogue Peace Keeper Commander (think of someone like Captain Palleon on Speed and the Peace Keepers are the Empire), but then attracts the attention of another PK named Scorpius because somewhere along the way Crichton gains knowledge of how to create wormholes. The show is way to in-depth and plot driven for me to give an accurate description, so I'll post a few sights that can bring you up to speed, if you want to expand your base and succumb to the greatest television show in history. *come on, my officer pic for ERFSEDS and the glass case at Riddle is me in my Crichton outfit. Call me a geek. I'll just smile and nod :) * Oh yeah, if any of you Riddle folk saw some posters scattered around for a few weeks last semester that said 'Wanted: Farscape Season 5' then had a cartoonish face, that was me ;)

Save Farscape

Farscape Fantasy

Farscape BBC

Farscape World

Crichtonisms

I think the best thing I love about the show is it's realism. First off, it takes place in our time period, so the year is 2003, which you usually don't see in Sci-Fi. Second is the way the Crichton character is played. Imagine a guy thrown into an entirely new world and has no idea what is going on. What does he do? Starts cracking jokes! Best known at Crichtonisms, which I'm sure you have had your fill of if you pay attention to my signature. And if you hang around me enough you'll notice that out of nowhere I tend to let 'em slip as well. I apalogize in advance, but the show is just that frelling good! *oops, there I go again*

So, there you have it. If you have taken the time to read all the way down to here, I commend you and insist that you come over to my house Friday to watch the last show with me. And to keep me from giving in to the Dark Side afterwards :_| :mad: :_|

2. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm so sorry, Q! I guess I didn't realize how close the end truly was for you!

If I didn't have office hours Friday night, I'd join you. Sorry! You had better keep that dark side in check, though. You have a padawan to set an example for now! ;)

I will have to sit down one day and watch your dvds. I have to know if it is truly as great as you say it is. :)

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    ***Padawan Desclaimer***
    As a Scaper, I am not responsible for my action this Friday, March 21. No Padawan shall remember anything I do after 8pm on said night ;)

It is truly great *sniffle* When Jack first turned me on to it I was so hooked I watched the first three seasons in about a week.

What time are your office hours over? It airs again at midnight, and seeing as how it's the last one *sniffle* I plan on watching it again. It doesn't help that they are leaving the show on what's being called the biggest cliff-hanger in TV history :_|

4. Commander_Clone

Commander_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I play magic until 5 on most fridays, but then again I just remembered that Jayna and I are away this weekend for ERRSA. I want to be in on a farscape thingy sometime too. Can that be an official meeting, or does it have to be star wars related?

5. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Oh wow- I guess I had forgotten that our ERRSA retreat was this weekend. In that case, I will be out of town this Friday night. Thanks for reminding me, CC!

We can get together for whatever we want! I'd be up for a Farscape viewing!

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yay! I am always up for a good Farscape night. What about next Friday? It'll be the Friday after the finale, so I'll have a hole to fill, in more ways than one :_|

And would we want to make this an official thing, or just a get together thing? How cool would it be to get one of the classrooms and watch it on the projector??? :D

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Woops, I forgot about your office hours Jayna. Then the following weekend is the saber party. Grrr. Are you guys good anytime during the week? Or we could do it that Saturday, the 29th in the afternon? Kind of make it a psuedo Saber/Scaper party??

8. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Well...if you guys can wait until 5-ish for the saber/scaper party on the 29th, I volunteer my house, I'm sure the hubby (if he's home) wouldn't mind watching Farscape.
  9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I was thinking just going out and getting the materials and doing a quick overview Saturday, then getting into it Sunday, so that would work. Do you guys have any episodes on DVD?

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    How great is this?!

Women Support Farscape

Los Angeles, CA ? March 20th, 2003 ? What happens when you take a poke at some already stirred up fans of a cancelled TV series? Well, you might find your mailroom flooded with bras.

Fans of the cancelled series, Farscape, who have been enduring months of quotes in the press from SCI-FI Channel President Bonnie Hammer, were frustrated and outraged by her latest comments about the future of the network in Time Magazine's March 17th edition.

Alienated and tired of being overlooked for bigger and not necessarily better, Farscape's female viewers have decided it's time to step into the spotlight and make their presence felt to the SCI-FI Channel, to the media, and to the general public, all of whom still hold the stereotypical view of science fiction fans as "geeky? young males.

They are planning to mail the network their bras, showing that, yes, women do watch sci-fi, too.

Just in time for Women?s History month, the bras, a symbol of femininity, are being sent to the SCI-FI Channel. Notes attached to each shipment include the demographics of the sender and a request that the bras be donated to New York City women's shelters for the benefit of the needy and less fortunate. The NYC women?s shelters selected by the ?Brascape? campaign organizers include Franklin, Jamaica Armory, and the Brooklyn Women?s Shelter.

Hammer, famous for her success in relaunching the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) on the USA Network, has been working with her team at the SCI-FI Channel to broaden the network's appeal to women and "non-geek" men by changing their science fiction programming to air shows that include aspects of the action-adventure, drama, and comedy genres. However, in the process she has failed to address the fact that the SCI-FI Channel already had a hit series that incorporated all of those characteristics. Farscape?s critically acclaimed mix of irreverence, humor and drama and it?s core audience demographic - an audience that is 50% female, 50% male, and 95% within the all important 18 - 49 age group ? seem to be precisely what she and her team have been seeking.

Farscape concludes its fourth season Friday, March 21st, 2003 at 8pm et/pt and fans and new viewers can share the wonders we have seen from the very beginning Monday through Thursday at midnight et/pt starting on March, 31st, 2003.

Tonight at 8 :_| :_|

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    *in best Simpson's Comic Geek voice* 'Best show ever'

I don't know what to say. It seems almost surreal, thinking that in a mere matter of months season 5 will start and we will know what the outcome was to this incredible cliff-hanger, but alas, there is no season 5. Farscape, to me, was much more than a television show. It was what science-fiction, and television in general, should be. It pushed the limits of the genre, and when the genre started to push back, Farscape broke it down and redefined what it meant to be good telelvision. It took risks that haven't been seen since the Original Star Trek series, 40 years ago. And despite the unheard of outcry from millions of people across the globe, it was all brought to an end by one person, that doesn't like 'space shows' yet somehow clawed her way to the top of the Sci-Fi Channel hierarchy.

I think I finally understand how it must have felt 20 years ago as people exited the showing of Return of the Jedi, knowing that the wonderful world of Star Wars had come to an end. As it turns out, they were very wrong, and I pray to God as I type this that I am too.

Farscape will not die, because I won't let it. People will forget about it, the cast, crew, and wonderful people that created it and sustained will move on, but I will never forget the show that had me hooked from the first episode I watched almost a year ago this month. I will not forget the show that taught me it's OK to be a little insane, that sometimes you just need to say 'Frell you' and take that risk that no one else wants to, no matter what the outcome, because you never know what will happen.

I look forward to the day when I can sit down with my children, pop Premiere in the DVD player, crank up the 16.1 holographic surround system and introduce them to the greatest show of the 21st Century. And when they ask me why such a wonderful show was killed off, I'll tell them that it wasn't killed-off, for as long as someone out there watches and remembers, it will always be alive in the hearts and minds of the Scapers. John, Aryn, D'Aargo, Chiana, Pilot, Rygel, Scorpius, you will be missed, but not forgotten.

'Never say die gang, NEVER SAY DIE' -Anthony Simcoe: Ka D'argo

12. jackdoud

jackdoud Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    AMEN BROTHER!

-Jack

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, rather than hunting down any high ranking SFC officials last Friday, I decided to put my creative talents to work. THe first pic I made will replace the current one on my backpack, so if you see it walking around Riddle, that's me :) [image=http://home.cfl.rr.com/mawshipyards/Pics/farscape%20forever.jpg]

And this one is set at my current desktop. Rogue Squadron is known for the impossible, let's see if they can pull this off... [image=http://home.cfl.rr.com/mawshipyards/Pics/X-Wings%20copy.jpg]

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    hehe, I read this and thought I would share, tehehehe :p

Brascape follow up

So, whatever happened with all those brassiers we lady Scapers sent? Twich decided to make a phone call Tuesday, April 1, to find out. This is what she has to say.
    ". . . I called Bonnie (Hammer, President, SciFi Channel). Yup. I called Bonnie's office and I got a PERSON. Her PERSONAL secretary. She was REALLY sweet and really nice. Time for another conversation replay:

Twich: Hi. I have a very odd question for you.

Secretary: Yes?

Twich: Did you get a bunch of bras in the mail a couple of weeks ago?

Secretary: Yes. Yes we did. Quite a few actually.

Twich: Can you tell me what happened with those bras?

Secretary: Yes I can. They have all been donated to the Brooklyn Women's Shelter.

Twich: Oh! Good! Okay. I'm one of the people who sent in the bras... and just wanted to make sure what happened with them.

Secretary: OH! Really? (insert big giggle here) And I'm the one who OPENED all of your bras!

Twich: Really? You did? We didn't make your day horrible did we?

Secretary: Oh no! Not at all! It was actually kind of ... (cough cough) Well, it was for a good cause.

Twich: Okay. Well, we just wanted to make sure we didn't add too much stress to your day and well...that something good did happen with them.

Secretary: Oh it did. I promise you. The bras are already there at the shelter.

So..there's your answer. Scape on sisters!" --Twich

15. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow.

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    THERE IS HOPE!

I don't know how much anyone knows about the selling of the Jim Henson Co., but it was recently bought by Brian Henson and his sister, so now it's back in the family. Anyway, I read this over at savefarscape.com and if Brian still has the drive he had a few years ago we could very well see Farscape continue! :D :D :D

In light of the fact that The Jim Henson Company has been bought by the Henson family, we'd like to highlight the role of Brian Henson in the life of Farscape and the passion that he has for this show.

From the Farscape: The Illustrated Companion by Paul Simpson and David Hughes:

"The last word on the genesis of the series goes to David Kemper: 'Brian Henson did something that people don't do in this business. You work for big companies, and they're institutions. A project dies, and it dies. Your executives go and hire other writers, they create something else. But Brian, stunningly, had a passion for this show, and because it was a family-owned company, with him in charge, no one was telling him, 'You have to let go of your dreams.' So Brian held on to his dream, and Brian made the show go. 'There's a lot of people that there'd be no Farscape without, but in the very beginning there'd be no Farscape if Brian Henson hadn't held on for five years and said, 'I'm going to make Farscape. I don't care what they tell me, who gets in my way, how the obstacles are thrown, I'm not letting the show die.' Rock and I, we had to go off and make a living. Brian made a living too, but he never let go, and obviously he was right. Son of a gun, he sold it! There's no Farscape if Rock doesn't write any scripts, but boy, there would be no Farscape if Brian Henson hadn't gone back and sold what was essentially a dead project, and resurrected it. Brian KNEW that he could produce a good show, and he made it live through that act of dedication.' "

EDIT: Something else I picked up from over at the savefarscape forums. Other than getting the seasons wrong I am absolutely giddy right now! :D :)

Future of 'Farscape'

Jim Henson Co. was also one of the forces behind "Farscape" the science fiction series that was canceled by the Sci-Fi Channel after five seasons. The Sci-Fi Channel is part of Vivendi Universal(V: news, chart, profile).

The Henson Co. was shooting the last episode of the show's fifth season when the Sci-Fi Channel announced in September 2002 that "Farscape" would be canceled. The last episode aired in March.

"Farscape" was very expensive for the Sci-Fi Channel. "I wasn't entirely surprised but I didn't expect them to cancel it," Henson said. "It was really a mantelpiece show."

He still wants to complete the storyline of Commander John Crichton, a modern day astronaut, who has been trying to get back to Earth since being accidentally shot through a wormhole. "There is still the end of this story that needs to be told," said Brian Henson, who is looking at a TV special and TV movie to continue the franchise.

At age 39, Brian Henson said he is tired of producing "a really good show" for a little channel. But he is considering more science fiction in his future. "I can't be specific about things in development," he said.

*breaks out the good yoohoo*

17. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, given the fact that I should have my next set of Farscape DVD's either today or tomorrow, putting me about a third of the way through season 3, anyone up for a marathon???

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow, guess not :p I almost forgot about this thread.

Anyway, it's been a year now and someone did this really awesome project of taking pictures submitted by Scapers and turning them into Mosaics. Check them out here. If you look hard enough you'll see me in a few spots :D

19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow, again I forgot about this thread. It was kinda fun to read about how I felt the night Farscape was cancelled.

20. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Sad... :(

I keep forgetting that the show even exists. One of these days I might just get around to watching a full episode...perhaps. ;)

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    ooo look, a monkey just flew out of my... nevermind.

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
  23. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    We should get together this year and have a Scape-fest. Just a sugestion. :D

24. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Does anyone want to watch Farscape on Friday? We could all probably use a break from studying for our exams. I would be all for it, but we couldn't do it in my room: 1. not enough room and 2. the roommate would kill me. So where ever and when ever is fine, but I could use a Scape fix.
    Cat

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I've got another movie engagement possibly from 5-8, so if you guys are still watching I could drop by, unless we were up for it during the day?? I'll probably use that day to break in my 4.1 disk anyway :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.