main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Faster advancement.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Laughing_Manyskins, Jun 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughing_Manyskins

Laughing_Manyskins Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    Have your players complained that they don't go up that fast? What I have planned when I go back to running a Star Wars game after our D&D campaign needs a rest, I am thinking about using the D&D Cr tables. I've looked over the system a few times and the real sicking point for me, and my players, is how slow it is to move up. My players love combat more than anything, but they hated the fact that they had to wait a long time to advance, so I gave them xps according to challange ratings, and they were a little happier.

SO do think that its better for fast or slow progression?

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It depends on what kind of game you're running. If your players enjoy fighting, then a faster progression will give them some good reason to hook up (so long as it's not too fast). On the other hand, a roleplaying-based game needs not this much experience since powergaming won't help them at all (save if you intend to have your PCs meet terrible foes in the end, but then again, nothing prevents you from having them start at high level).

3. Laughing_Manyskins

Laughing_Manyskins Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    I like my players to grow, if you let them start out at high level they seemed forced with out having any devolopement put into thier skills. I like the growth aspect, even if its fast.

4. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    It all depends on teh system you are using. Under D6, I'd say there is no problem with quick advancement. In that system, the sky is the limit on how good a character can be. In the D20 system however, there is a distinct cap to character advancement. You hit 20th level, and that's as far as they can go.

So, being that I like long running games - and I mean LONG, I would say that slow advancement is the way to go. Unless you dont care about making new characters all the time, that is.

5. ZAT_albion

ZAT_albion Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2001
    my two cents:
    The overall strength of the characters is not only determined by the PC stats but also the NPC stats...

just use a squadron of imperial regular army troopers against three newly created characters and see how strong they really are...

Our SWRPG group had a similar discussion once and it all came down to a single sentence...

"the human average is 2D for everything..."

So just look at youre newly created character and see how strong he allready is in some things...

it really isnt that hard to nurture a character into 8D in the blaster skill...

According to the books a skill of 8D would mean you would statistically be the best in the star system... (6D best on planet) (10D best in galaxy) (the keyword here being "statistically")

so just playing by the rules IS rapid advancement... or atleast that's my opinion...

The funnest (even long going ones) rpg games are the ones that stay difficult... That make you feel like you just got out of that one alive... or just barely succeeded in what you tried to do... No matter how good the character is...
    But offcourse always succeeding in grander and more spectacular things...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.