main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fate of the Clones

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by themetresgained, May 18, 2014.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I think it's safe to say that his storyline won't be wrapped up in any medium from now on.

What did you think of Rex's character over six seasons?

If you could be the Maker, what would you do with Rex's story? Should he have been killed off if the series had continued?

Since Appo was in TCW, I think it's safe to assume his position as head of the 501st when Vader attacks the Temple is intact.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Remains loyal to Anakin and part of the 501st.

I like the guy, he's a badass.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

True story

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I highly doubt he stuck around for Order 66, considering all the buildup there was from the Deserter, Umbara and Fives arcs.

5. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    WTF, oh hell no it's not safe to say that. They will resolve his storyline, don't worry.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Whether or not Rex stuck with the 501st, the 501st absolutely must still be clones. I love the idea of Vader sticking with the sort of troops that served him during the Clone Wars and it would explain the 501st's tendency to shoot better than everyone else.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that buildup was annoying.

8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I want Rex to get out of Dodge. It would be nice to have a Clone that escapes the madness (besides Cut, we didn't really follow him).

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, Appo is commander of the 501st in ROTS, so Rex either dies or deserts.

Speaking of clones during ROTS, is it even possible to disobey Order 66 now? We don't have a single case of that happening, what with the Legends canon change. I seem to remember the Order 66 arc leaving a loophole for that, but can't quite recall the line.

10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Is Appo still officially named as commander of the 501st now that the EU is non-canon? Other than Oddball and Cody I don't remember any clones being called by name in ROTS.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm guessing he deserts.

Filoni in discussing the Order 66 arc seemed to call attention to the fact that Anakin pretty much thinks Fives is crazy when he suggests that the Chancellor is involved in an anti-Jedi plot, but specifically raises the rhetorical question of whether or not Rex feels the same way.

12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    See this is what I was thinking. When I wrote the OP I was like 'well hey, Appo being commander technically isn't canon anymore" but then since he is a Commander, they specifically made Rex a captain, and Appo *is* in TCW makes me think they maybe had something else planned for him.

Either way, I hope Watto is right. I would love to see something wrapping up Rex's story, such as a comic series like they're doing for Maul, but I'm not holding my breath.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    To my knowledge, Filoni has never said why they decided to make Rex a Captain while most of the other clones are commanders. Captain Keeli being an exception that comes to mind.

But I suspect maybe it had to do with limiting confusion, since Ahsoka is sometimes referred to as "Commander Tano." Obi-Wan is a general, and Cody is the next one down in rank beneath him as commander. But with Anakin, Ahsoka is the next one down, referred to as commander, thus maybe they didn't want to have a clone commander on top of that. But with Ahsoka gone, they could always establish that Rex was promoted to commander in her absence.

But I don't think they are retconning the clone commander in ROTS as Rex. That character was named Appo in all tie in materials and TCW even chose to introduce Appo into TCW in he Krell arc. I don't know why they would keep that character, if they were going to retcon him into Rex in ROTS.

14. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    You are probably in luck because Filoni has specifically mentioned Rex's story as being one of a couple that is important to him in putting out there. He didn't commit to anything in when or how it will get produced but he did call it out, and he has said that these unproduced stories are generally "very important to Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy" as well. I'd say, look on the bright side.

15. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Its hard to say for sure, but it does seem to me like they were setting up a story for Rex that included him defying order 66. Specifically the Cut Lawquane, General Krell and Order 66 episodes.

You have to take a look at the character they gave us and what would ultimately serve that character's story. You could say that Rex was great. A strong leader and a caring soldier who took duty seriously but was willing to think beyond his programming. And that when the "switch is flipped" on Order 66, that goes away and he becomes evil. And you could look at that as a devastating and sad end for the character.

But I don't think that works for Rex. I think that might work for Cody, and a handful of other Clones that we got to know. I think for Rex that just comes off as too ugly.

I think its a better and more interesting story if he finds a way to resist whats going on. They did enough work with him trying to determine what are his own feelings about duty vs. what he was created to do. I feel like once the Fives stuff happened, hed immediately find a way to get that chip removed from him. I don't think he could handle the knowledge that that thing was planted in his brain.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree with the general assumption that judging by how his character is established across the entire series they were likely going to have him rebel against Order 66 in some fashion or other. Hopefully we still get that story in some form one day. Which I am surprised to hear myself say since I generally don't get excited for clone stories. Mission accomplished, Filoni.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It would actually piss me off if that happened. Clone rebellion is way overdone in this series.

18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Unless his removal from his post is IMMEDIATELY before the attack on the temple, then I think he'd have to leave/die before Order 66 is ever given.

For all the talk of Ahsoka appearing in Rebels, Rex is probably the only TCW character (and maybe Saw Gerrera) that I could really see being involved in a later Rebel cell.

Filoni teased the question as to what Rex would think when he hears Fives out. We see characters like Cut's influence on him, as well as the independence to kill his commanding officer (Krell), and that his sense of right and wrong trumps his loyalty to the chain of command. If he believes Fives, that could cause him to seek out removing his own chip.

He knows the CIS is bad, because he's been fighting them throughout the war, so I'm by no means implying he would jump sides. But he could also see the moral decay of the Republic and be one of the disillusioned clones that Pablo mentions (that leave the Empire), but perhaps leaving his position in the Republic military before the Republic becomes the Empire. Perhaps ultimately joining a rebel cell/training a rebel cell (he helped train the one on Onderon after all), when he sees what Palpatine made his brothers do to their friends (the Jedi).

Revanfan1 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I've been able to see both sides of the argument for and against Rex deserting in the past, but in light of the Order 66 arc, it seems pretty clear to me that they intend for him to leave the 501st, either through voluntary desertion, through death or circumstances that causes him to go MIA (like Gregor). TCW has given us numerous clues as to Rex's ultimate fate based on the character development he's received. In the end, I feel one thing we can certainly conclude is that Rex puts loyalty to his brothers before even the orders of his superiors. I will explain.

To recap:
    • Rex chooses to look the other way and not turn in Cut Lawquane, even those Cut is technically a deserter and must stand military trial. He does what he feels is right, showing his compassion for one of his "brothers", rather than what the Republic would otherwise want him to do.
    • Rex goes through a personal crisis in the Umbara arc over how far he'd be willing to take following the orders of General Pong Krell. In the end, he chooses to defend his brothers, not only standing up to the general but refusing to carry out the executions of Fives and Jesse for disobeying Krell. He goes so far as to defy and attempt to arrest Krell, and then almost carries out the Jedi Master's execution personally. This shows that he put the safety of those under his command, his clone brothers, before that of a superior whose orders he saw fit to question. Not only that, but his hesitance to pull the trigger on Krell, a Jedi who revealed himself to be a traitor to the Republic, proves that he might well hesitate to carry out orders that would kill his superiors, even when he feels that it is justified (of course, the implanted biochip might well override his free will.
    • Side note: This jives well with Traviss' Republic Commando series, with a number of clones refusing to kill their commanders. We see Rex undergo some character growth and view his thought process, and it's quite consistent with those clones and commandos who refuse to follow the order because they've become too attached to their generals, etc.
    • Finally, what puts the evidence over the top, IMO, is that Rex seems thoughtful and willing to believe Fives' words that there is a conspiracy at the top to force the clones to turn on their Jedi commanders. This scene shows how loyal Rex was to Fives, one of those closest to him under his command. Whereas Anakin was unwilling to believe Fives, Rex gave him a reassuring ear, someone Fives was right to have faith in trusting.
    From the evidence we can see that Rex would never willingly betray his brothers, and I am sure he would have some reason, even only in the back of his mind, to believe Fives' words, and remove the biochip that was responsible for the universal clone nightmares regarding their "final mission" of Order 66. Removal of this implant would pretty much guarantee his refusal to participate in Order 66, assuming he's even still a part of the 501st Legion by then. As we see in RotS, he's nowhere to be seen in the Vader's Fist attack on the Temple, as Appo is leading the way.then. I doubt Rex would have simply gotten demoted, but who knows. The only way to settle this once and for all, would be if/once we get a story showing us Rex's final adventures in the Clone Wars, and possibly beyond. I really look forward to learning where his story goes from here!

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, unless he removed his inhibitor chip, he would have no way of resisting Order 66. I guess it's possible that he went AWOL before ROTS, and thus never got the order to begin with.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Normally I'd be apathetic about it but in this case they've built it up so clearly it's like that episode of Big Bang Theory where Amy makes Sheldon keep listening to a melody without the final note. I am anticipating the resolution.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wonder if a clone can be strong willed enough to override the inhibitor chip.

23. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Perhaps Rex isn't around to hear the order?

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Part of me sees Rex as the ultimate candidate for the "good guy in a Stormtrooper helmet" that I have to believe existed (in the early Empire, at least).

Yes, there's a certain sad feeling I get from envisioning Rex tied to such a fate, but I won't lie and say that there isn't also at least a small part of me that thinks it could be depicted as reasonably honorable of Rex to stick by Anakin and his mates in the 501st, and completing his mission.

That said, pretty much the one and only time I see it as "okay" (to put it terrifically simple) for a soldier -- particularly an officer -- to desert, is when he witnesses his "side" committing war crimes and other atrocities, the type of which we know are coming at the close of the Clone War.

As has been pointed out, through some wonderful character study, we know that Rex is capable of putting his personal sense of right and wrong ahead of any by-the-numbers interpretation of his "official" duty.

As such, I can't help but believe that if Rex caught even a whiff of Palpatine's ulterior motives (and I think the 'Fives' arc demonstrated that he probably has), and was ever able to piece it all together, Rex would have been faced with the kind of critical choice which would have determined both the course for the rest of his life, and potentially the lives of many others.

I'm conflicted. Though I agree the show was leading Rex in one direction in particular, I still think the case could reasonably be made that Rex could go either way (he's a great character like that, you know).

My heart says that Rex will somehow wind up on the side that takes the fight to the Empire and, should he live long enough, become a valuable early asset to the founding of the Alliance.

But the thing which will really, really grind my gears is if we never know what happens to ol' Rexy (do you hear me Lucasfilm?!?). :)

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Interested in seeing where they take Rex next.