main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fate of the Clones

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by themetresgained, May 18, 2014.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe he will go on a killing spree in Rebels

2. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I wouldn't mind it if Rex and Ahsoka teamed up in some capacity during the Dark Times. I doubt it'd happen though because Ahsoka is most likely going to show up briefly in Rebels.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Who knows, if Ahsoka shows up in Rebels, maybe Rex will be there with her, too?

I really liked the pairing of Rex with Fives in the Umbara arc, and I thought that I would liked to have seen the two together during the Imperial Period, fighting on the side of some local insurgency. Could've called themselves *"The Batch."* ;)

Oh, well, I guess it was not meant to be. Poor Fives. C'est la guerre.

*Wonder what that was all about?

Thanks to Brent Friedman, we now know that there was a fully written, four-episode arc which was planned as the Season 7 opener.

The story featured Rex "reluctantly" agreeing to lead an "experimental and highly unorthodox" group of Clone Commandos who called themselves either "The Batch" or "The Bad Batch." When asked if Gregor or any of the other clones we've come to know would have been a part of the group, Brent said "Nope. All new gene pool."

They story was said to have taken place on both Anaxes and Skako Minor. Rex would have sustained "injuries" of some kind, and the relationship between Rex and Echo would have served as the "emotional hook" of the arc.

As Mr. Friedman says, maybe, with enough support, Disney/Lucasfilm will one day authorize a release for the story in comic form? It may not be a bad idea to support the new Darth Maul comic and show that we'd like more of the unproduced TCW stories to see the light of day.

p.s. Oh, and Brent also says he wrote a "bridge story" for a motion comic project which explored the "spiritual side" of Mandalore. It never got made.

I wonder who decided to pull the plug on that one? 8-}

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I like to think Rex bowed out....went to live with his brother Cut and his family.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mandalore had a "spiritual side"?

Oh hell.

6. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I would've liked a future TCW episode where Rex thinks about what Fives said in the Order 66 arc, and has his chip removed. Then when Order 66 hits in ROTS, Rex bails out and goes into hiding somewhere.

7. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Maybe he saves a Jedi (Katooni? or Kanan for a Rebels reference) from his fellow clones? Would even be more poignant if he was then gunned down by his own brothers, but we've already had that with Fives...

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I will second this.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Well I had stayed far away from the Filoni commentary to avoid being spoiled and I'd only just seen all of TCW for the first time when I made this thread, gimme a break :p I'm glad we'll see him again.

10. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    I like both characters, so yes please.

In fact with their friendly relationship in the first few seasons of TCW put on the backburner it seems later on, I would like to see it return. Besides, we got very little out of Rex during the Fugitive arc- I would have liked to see his reaction to Ahsoka leaving.

Injuries? Would Rex have joined the illustrious group of Star Wars characters to lose a limb? Arm? Leg? Eye? Pinky toe?

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    :D

But yeah, I imagine at least some Mandos would, sure. Most cultures have a history which includes some kind of spiritual and/or religious traditions, and in that sense, I wouldn't expect Mandos to be any different. Probably like any other group of people, some would be spiritually inclined and others not.

My only questions would be if the story was about Mando culture's historically spiritual worship of warfare in general, or more specifically about Mando religion? And if it did look at the religious, would the story have drawn from the traditional EU depiction of Mandalorian religion:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_religion

And maybe even detailed the three Mando deities we know about:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arasuum
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kad_Ha'rangir
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hod_Ha'ran

Or if Friedman (maybe even under George Lucas' direction) invented something completely new?

I imagine he isn't at liberty to say too much, but maybe Brent could fill us in on whether his story was rooted in any prior EU folklore at some level, or not at all and something completely new?

Revanfan1 and Circular Logic like this.
  12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    ^You know, Trebor, I thought about posting something like that awhile back, but considering all the backstory we know about the Mandalorian warrior clans are now Legends, I didn't have the motivation. But I really do hope that future works reference the three Mandalorian gods, Ha'rangir, Hod Ha'ran, and Arasuum, shown below from The Bounty Hunter's Code:
    [​IMG]

They are too awesome! :D Well, all of them save for Arasuum, or "stagnation" in Mando'a. I'm hopeful that some of the key parts of Mandalorian culture, like the manda, and the Resol'nare, are retained in the new continuity. The bedrock principles of Mandalorian culture that has existed in numerous EU works not just in the novels, but also in games like TOR. Mando'a was actually used in a brief conversation in the TOR Bounty Hunter storyline: "Liser gar su jorhaa'ir haar joha, dar'manda? Ib'tuur gar dar'buir balyc." It's a shame Mando'a wasn't overtly used at all in TCW, despite the fact that Death Watch could have easily used it. Unless Sabine speaks a few words of Mando'a in Rebels, it's highly unlikely we'd hear the language at all in the upcoming show. I'd hate for it to be decanonized.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Circular Logic Wasn't the language used by that Death Watch-aligned bomber in "The Mandalore Plot" the same as Mando'a? Or was it just completely made up like most of the Huttese dialogue up until "Eminence"?

14. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    As Mia Mesharad pointed out in the past, the bomber spoke in a dialect of Mando'a known as Concordian. Not exactly the same, but admittedly better than nothing.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Me, too. :)

That would be a tough one to swallow. Yep.

But what about the dying suicide bomber at the memorial shrine? His last words, an appeal to Satine -- I think they said it was a dialect used on Concordia, but wasn't it a form of Mando'a? I always assumed that it was, but I never tried to translate the words.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    At first, after transcribing the suicide bomber's words and then attempting to translate using my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of Mando'a, I was unable to translate most of his words.
    But, through a bit of searching, I found a site that includes Mando'a translation in the Concordian dialect! So here it is:

Bomber: "Compassionate leaders will burn! My soul, my sword, my eternal glory.
    Goodbye, I sleep."
    Satine: "Yes, goodbye, sleep."

Okay, that's really enough derailing of this thread, however. Anyone want to talk about Rex's potential fate?

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Daine Jir wars Rex that something is dangerous. Rex doesn't listen and ends up getting blown up. Jir then takes over the 501st.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I like to think that he ate some bad rice, got ill and died.

20. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    That would be pretty anticlimatic.

"Whatever happened to that ol' badass clone trooper Rex?"
    "He died of food poisoning."

I really want to see his fate handled on screen some day. Rex was my second favorite character bested only by one of the other clones who had a big impact on him Cut Lawquane because TV Dads rock. What I loved about Rex is how many layers there were on him and how out of the big main characters he was the most mysterious and the time he got on screen was some of the most unpredictable on the show. He was a relatable obtainable hero without super powers. He also had this cool father son like relationship with Fives. Because of that it was easy to forget what the clones were bred for. The show actually tosses a YoYo in both "The Deserter" and the Umbara arc foreshadowing that Rex could go either way. Really I could see him going into the Jedi Temple with Vader and then being overcome with his sense of morality, falling on his own sword so to speak. However I don't believe there is actually room for him there. He'll almost certainly remove his own chip and go on to either desert and fade into the background or maybe he will become an early asset to the rebellion with his skills, leadership ability, and training experience. It all goes back to his "Evil we can't well imagine" line to Cut.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Seerow

Well said, sister! For all of the reasons you listed and more, we need to see first-hand what has become of Rex.

And though I don't know how likely it may be, I agree whole-heartedly with your sentiment that Rex is a character whose story should play out on-screen.

As far as Rex's possible involvement in the execution of Order 66, if he is to die then and there, I think it must be shown to us either on the silver screen or the boob tube. But if Rex just turns up later (say, in Rebels), I think a comic or novel detailing his adventures leading up to his reappearance may well suffice.

I don't know. I'm not even sure that I'm making any real sense, here. I guess all I'm really trying to say is that I think Rex is a terrific character; a character who was born of television, and who deserves to have the rest of his story told on t.v., as well.

Darkslayer and Seerow like this.
  23. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I like to think he removed his chip and later died saving the kids from the Young Jedi arc.

24. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    I can't help but think that Rex after investigating what Fives was trying to tell him decides to have his chip removed. He rounds up some other clones to join him and also removes their chips. I love the thought that Rex and his band of merry men are fighting their own little rebellion.

Or perhaps even living on a remote planet starting a new life for themselves far away from any war. This would be cool to see a clone society separate from the Republic.

25. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I have to say, the idea of Rex deserting prior to or soon after Order 66 is my personal headcanon.

whostheBossk and Mia Mesharad like this.