main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fate of the Clones

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by themetresgained, May 18, 2014.

1. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I think he was originally supposed to be Alpha, from the dark horse series, but it was overruled. Thus, likely he was supposed to sustain a crippling injury that took him out of military service prior to Order 66 (Alpha was shot through the spine).

If I remember right, the inhibitor chip simply increased aggression, didn't it? Was it even required for Order 66 to be used? In ROTS, none of the Clones seem to even flinch, let alone react as Fives did. Commander Cody takes the order perfectly naturally. I think the idea of a chip was ill-thought out, and unneeded. It really just raises more questions.

As for his fate, either he gets injured off screen as above, he deserts and we may see him in Rebels, or we might (I really hope) get him as an older man (remember, roughly double the aging, so roughly 30 years older, so in his 60s during Rebels) as a leader of an elite stormtrooper squad that isn't comically evil.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't think it was meant to increase aggression - the Kaminoans said it was there to inhibit aggression, but from the private conversations it was clear that it was there to make sure they obeyed orders. Sort of a last line of defence - you can rely on them to be bred to obey, but on the other hand shooting down the men and women you have served and bled with on the field for three years isn't guaranteed for anyone but droids.

I think it makes sense based on what we see in ROTS, but let's be honest - the portrayal of the clones in TCW (and probably the Traviss novels too) is the aberration here. If they hadn't been so humanised there would be no need to have the chip subplot.

3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    But if they didn't portray the Clones the way they did on the show we would have been minus all those great hours and hours of adventures with characters we could actually attach to - not the automatons from the films. TCW is still some of my favorite Star Wars material and the Clone stories were some of the best.

And maybe it was something that Lucas, Filoni, and crew wanted to do, show that these were actually people. Loyal soldiers and brothers who fought together bravely... but also with free thinking as you see with Fives, and his eventual tragedy. It also puts a nice light on the Jedi, despite all the problems they had in their bureaucracy, they were able to shepherd this group of soldiers and get them to think creatively (that episode Ambush stands out to me). So yes it was worth it to portray them this way, and the chip is just an interesting sci fi angle: I believe the training on Kamino inhibits them from disobeying orders, but because of the natural way of things some Clones were more independent like Fives, so the chip was just another safety measure to ensure that when a Clone hears the order to execute the Jedi, that they will comply regardless of their disposition. So it's an extra inhibition of their free thinking, showing the tragedy of that bond between the Clones and Jedi. I for one hope that Rex gets that chip out and finds a new mission in his life.

4. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    When TCW first started airing, I was actually strongly against humanizing the clones. I thought they should've stayed as near-silent soldiers who followed every order. However, as the series went on, I realized that this was really the best way to portray then. Like Watto said, we wouldn't have gotten all those great stories in TCW focusing on the clones (such as Umbara, Order 66 arc, etc.) if they had no personalities. Aside from being more relatable for the viewers, I think the fact that they are genuine people makes Order 66 even sadder. Originally I just felt bad for the Jedi being gunned down unexpectedly like that, but after TCW I feel bad for both sides. The clones were loyal soldiers, even becoming close friends with their Jedi generals and commanders. Gunning down their Jedi friends was one of the last things they'd be willing to do, but they had no choice in the matter. Knowing that they are actual people who didn't want this at all and have no control over it makes it all the more worse to watch.

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't disagree with you on the significance of TCW - Umbara probably my favourite arc from the entire series. But I'm saying the reason for the dodgy (from a narrative standpoint) chip stuff is because the new Clone Wars-era canon (so, TCW) doesn't square particularly well with what we see in ROTS and there had to be some way to reconcile the two. Voila, they invented an inhibitor chip. I know that ROTS wouldn't have made sense if they hadn't invented it, and I do prefer the TCW/Traviss interpretation, but it still does feel silly.

Also I just finished reading SW: Republic, and I know that isn't how Lucas and co. imagined the clones going in to ROTS - the TCW interpretation was firmly invented later.

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    2018 - Temuera Morrison starring in Captain Rex - The Movie?

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The fact that the clones we see execute Order 66 in Ep. III had properly functioning inhibitor chips while Tup's inhibitor chip in Orders malfunctions explains the difference between the two.

Darkslayer and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    As much as part of me thinks it would be kind of a bold -- and definitely intriguing -- move if Rebels portrayed Rex as a loyal Imperial Stormtrooper (maybe even Commander of the 501st), I still cannot deny that in my heart of hearts, I hope Rex got that thing removed and wound up fighting the good fight and taking it to the Empire.

No matter what they decide to do with him, though -- no matter what -- I want to see them tell the tale (and preferably on screen).

None of this "well, he would have had his story wrapped up in TCW, but we weren't ever able to do it." Yeah, well, Ahsoka got some kind of closure to her story (even if it's only for the time being). Maul's TCW story is being told in the current Sons of Dathomir comic (I even expect to learn something more about the fate of Mandalore in both that comic, and through Sabine in the new series).

But what about Rex? He deserves at least as much as either Tano or Maul got. But with the cancellation of TCW, Rex's story just suddenly ceased to be, and we haven't heard a peep about him since. Not a thing. If he doesn't wind up in Rebels (and with so much of Lucasfilm's attention required for the new films for the conceivable future), then what are we to think about Rex's future potential? As far as on-screen, at least, is it "Rebels or bust" for the character?

I'd definitely like to know where Lucasfilm (and maybe Dave Filoni, specifically) currently stands on Rex. Even if it's just to learn whether they have any designs to use him in the near-future. No spoilers, necessarily. Just a simple "yea" or "nay" would be great.

9. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Rex is awesome. I'd like to think he got rid of his chip, defected, and is out there just doing his own thing.

Then he runs into Obi-Wan on Tattooine and buys him a drink. Because he knows Obi-Wan needs all the drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I can tell you this: in a recent IGN interview regarding TCW S6 and Rebels, Filoni singled out not only Ahsoka's story, but REX'S story and where he ends up as important to him and Lucasfilm, and that overtime we'd get to see these stories told. He didn't say what medium or when but he put faith in the company to make it happen. I hope it's in animated form.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Wunderbar!

I'm afraid that I've either missed this interview, or had simply forgotten. Good news, indeed. :)

Oh, and I hope it's on-screen, too. If it is, I think animated is probably the more likely avenue before live-action.

But just for fun, I wonder which actor we like as Rex in any future live-action setting? Is Temuera Morrison a slam dunk in our minds?

Or is there someone else you could see as Rex?

12. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I could go for a Dark Times-esque comic series. I'm worried that if it were animated it'd become too sanitised.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dark Horse already has a really good one.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    If there was a live-action film about Rex he would obviously have to be played by the guy who played Jango Fett in Ep. II.

15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    So, not a Rex film mentioned here, but same actor Tem Morrison rumored for a Fett film:
    http://jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=17308

16. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh yes the series is very good, but it's got a dark and depressing kinda vibe that I wouldn't mind seeing replicated with some TCW characters.

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

That would be interesting...

Rex must live on... his fate should not be revealed and left in secrecy like Yoda's species or how authors treated Boba Fett and his possible death.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Some mystery with Yoda I can happily live with, but since you mentioned it, I'd love to have some better closure with Boba Fett.

But yes, Rex! We need more Rex!

Let 'em hear you, LACWAC:

[​IMG]

"Rex!" "Rex!" "Rex!"

The people have spoken. Are you listening, Disney/Lucasfilm? (Filoni?) :D

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree that Yoda's species should remain a secret, but I have to say that although I went into the show not really caring about the clones as individuals at all, arcs like Umbara have me very curious about whatever happens to Rex.

20. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Prior to TCW, I was the same.

Now, I certainly knew that the clones had a devoted faction of fans at the time; fans who loved the way the clones were portrayed in the comics, novels, video games, CW and Episodes II and III. And I know of some fans who just don't care one bit for how TCW handled the clones, and wish that their earlier representation would have been left as it was. I can see where they're coming from, too. In a lot of ways, the contrast between the different portrayals of the clones was rather pronounced, after all.

But personally, I wasn't really, really hooked on them until TCW gave us episodes like "Rookies," and stories like the Umbara arc. After watching these, I was really on board and found that I had discovered a whole new level of appreciation for the clones. I thought it was a win, and I grew to really love them (in my case, Rex and Fives, in particular).

So because of this, Rex's unresolved fate really intrigues me. I'm very excited about things like Rebels, the new spinoffs, canon novels and all the rest. And I'm more invested in the Sequel Trilogy than I have been about anything SW in maybe three decades. But other than my ST questions about Luke and any other future Skywalkers, I can't think if anything else SW character-related which has me more curious than how Rex ended up dealing with issues like his inhibitor chip, Order 66, and the change from Republic to Empire.

Those story elements are all too good to pass up, aren't they? Something's got to come of all of this.

Doesn't it?

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's funny, the Clone Wars era has been thoroughly covered twice and there's still a good amount of major characters who got no resolution. Before Rex it was the ARC trooper Alpha, who basically played Rex's role in the Republic comics. Hell, Ventress has ended up conclusion-less both times. 8-}

22. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Rex is by far, one of the coolest Clone Troopers ever. I could see him getting that thing removed from his brain and becoming a Clone Deserter after the war. And if he can find a way to slow down the aging process, I could see him joining the rebel alliance.

gracesonnet likes this.
  23. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    I always assumed that the rapid aging process only accelerated clones growth until they reached a desired age. After that, it leveled out and clones began to age at a normal rate. Did I miss something that contradicts this?

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I think our general knowledge of science contradicts it. Not that I'm much of a science mind, but I assume that if you accelerate growth and aging, there isn't a real way to stop that process. Of course there could be some advanced Kaminoan genetics plot duct tape that slows down that aging to let Rex live on ;)

25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    In the EU, much was made of the fact that the clones were being robbed of not just their childhoods, but a full 1/2 of their lives. The implication of course being that the process never ceased.

But as I say, this was in the old EU, and anything which mentions the phenomenon in current canon (AOTC, TCW) never really says for sure.

I can say that I've heard it argued by more than one person IRL that accelerated growth from childhood, through adolescence and to maturity would actually be a separate process from aging/senescence, and that once full maturity was reached, the process would simply have been halted.

I'm not a biologist, so don't ask me to try and say which argument may hold the more water (even if only at a theoretical level). But then, who's to say that the writers would hold themselves to following the actual "rules" of our world, anyway?

In a perfect world, I'd love to hear straight from George Lucas what his intentions were, but God bless him, it's "not his problem anymore." He's retired. :D

Maybe someone should ask Dave Filoni how he views it. He's usually quite accommodating, after all. It's one of the cooler things about him.

Assuming he'll be there, does anybody know whether or not he'll be taking any questions at SDCC?