main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi (9 Hardcover Series) General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Jul 2, 2008.

1. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    I just found out on www.starwarstimeline.com or Star Wars chronology that Aaron Allston has a new Star Wars hardcover novel in the works and it's from Del Rey and it's called Fate of the Jedi Book I. It's a hardcover that is 256 pages long. There is a link to it at amazon.ca.

I wonder if this will be a Post-LOTF hardcover dealing with the fate of Luke's Jedi Order(since they will almost be extinct as of the Legacy Comics) or a Post-ROTS novel dealing with the fate of the old Jedi Order.

Title change to reflect now-known nature of book as part of a series.

2. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Sounds ...slightly appealing. Its definitely a wait until PPB; and its ridiculous for that - 256 pages for a Hardcover? 27.99$ for 256 pages of what will most likely amount to (if it's post-ROTS which is the most likely - read 99.9% - candidate) a story of just more survivors of the purge being killed; which has already been done to ad-nauseum and we only have had a few stories set post-ROTS.

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah. I posted this in upcoming releases but no one noticed. 256 pages. It's at regular hardcover price though. It looks like another series. Notice it's Fate of the Jedi 1?
    http://www.amazon.ca/SW-Fate-Jedi-Aaron-Allston/dp/0345509064/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215016318&sr=1

Edit: I see Eddie saw it. Thanks for the mention Eddie![face_peace]

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Sounds more like a Dark Times novel to me than Post-LOTF... though if it is Post-LOTF it sounds like the effects of the 2nd GCW may be lasting.

5. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    Its definitely Dark Times setting. The only reason it might not be is because its a Part 1 and a hardcover; so it might be the kick-off to a new series (god I hope not).

6. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    It can't be after ROTS... didn't ROTS pretty much give us the fate of the Jedi? The release date being after Millenium Falcon, plus the fact they moved up Falcon's release date, indicates to me that this book might be set after Falcon. Maybe Luke is finally handing over the reigns of the Jedi.

Hope we get more details soon. Interesting they got Allston to kick off the first book again.

7. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Fate of the Jedi 1 huh?

Heres hoping its the Jedi Masters dealing with the aftermath of Lukes Death.

8. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    Which is problem #3 with this idea.

9. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    What are the first 2?

10. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    Top 3 Problems:

1) Hardcover (thus 27$)
    2) Only 256 pages; for said price is ridiculous
    3) Allston kicking off another series

Other problems that can't be established as true problems until we get more information:

1) If its set post-ROTS/Dark Times and is about more Jedi purge survivors

11. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I like to find out a bit more about this before I get excited.

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Page numbers change all the time. I can't see it being a hardcover with 256 pages at $27. They might have meant 356 pages. Who knows. It's not on any other site but Amazon.ca right now.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    256 pages? Lets hope thats a typo. Inferno felt rushed at 299, and I doubt they are going to make the print a different size. it's like Delrey is putting out less effort all the time.......

14. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are both stating 256. Invincible was a HC and it was 299. Inferno was a PPB and it was 292.

15. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Edit: I see Eddie saw it. Thanks for the mention Eddie!

Thank YOU!!!! ;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmmm... I believe there was a hint somewhere from Rostini that there'd be another series coming out soon. I don't know that Allston's ever done the non-post-RotJ eras before, which makes me wonder...

17. vereor_lynas

vereor_lynas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2008
    i'll only get excited once we hear what it's about!

speculation though... Luke steps down OR has disappeared/died... new series about how the jedi deal with life Post-luke?

18. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    That's pretty short. Short enough that I'd probably wait for the paperback.

I would gladly read an Allston-only series. I'm just worried who they might make him work with.

19. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I don't care about page count. If an author manages to tell a great story in less than 300 pages who cares? Inferno was my favorite LotF novel and it was less than 300 pages.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. CoppiceThorne

CoppiceThorne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2008
    Thank the pantheon! I am greatly relieved and contented to read of Aaron Allston's return.

Lately, what with MFalcon, Mindor, and the above -- it's getting hard to bear such constant (& near-on delirious) anticipation. And as any self-respecting insatiable reader might say: Alright -- we already know the name of this one, where's the next one!!! *laugh & jest* "Move along, move along..."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Depends I guess... if we're lucky it could be about ones we already know survive but don't know much beyond that (guys like K'kruhk, Empatojayos Brand, etc).

Throwing a totally different idea into the mix... it could even turn out to be part of the Old Republic series. They did scrap an OR series in favour of LOTF so that could in theory be brought back out the refrigerator and resurrected.

Fate of the Jedi... let's think.... ohhhhh.... the fate of the Exile and the handful of First Purge survivors. KOTOR3 in writing. :p

I can dream, can't I? [face_praying]

22. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I hope it's any time post-ROTJ (up to post-LOTF) just because that's where Allston excels. I can't image him writing a book without Wedge...

23. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    As far as Allston writing I'm guessing they are running out of authors to use since not everyone is up to speed on EU events leading up to this series and since continuity is so important these days. God forbid the editors have to do some editing and not rely on the writers to deal with maintaining SW EU continuity.

I kind of hope this is book one of a paperback trilogy, followed by the next author doing another trilogy in the series, and so on, so the flow is better than it was in LOTF. Could explain the short page count so they can turn these out faster.

24. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Hopefully its post-MF, although personally Im surprised that theyd be jumping into a new series so soon after LotF ended. I think we had to wait close to two years between the NJO and Dark Nest. Either way Im looking forward to it, and if it is indeed post-LotF then maybe we'll start seeing the beginnings of the split in the Jedi and what eventually grew into two factions between the Jedi and Imperial Knights.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I wouldn't be astonished if this were indeed post LOTF. And I suppose the Fate of the Jedi would be the split into Jedi and Imperial Knights, which would of course only be dealt with in broad background strokes.

Hm, this could work especially if set after Luke's death. But I doubt they would do that.

As for running out of authors, giving three of five Clone Wars novels to Traviss definitely shows a trend. I also doubt that Stover will write another SW novel soon, as he wants to keep his own stuff and franchise stuff in balance (plus, Mindor might be hard to top - he's done Obi-Wan, Vader and Luke by then. Where else to go?)