main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi (9 Hardcover Series) General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    If it does end up being a multi-author series, it seems a good bet that Traviss is not involved, given her Clone Wars commitment.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If Mace is alive, he'll behead Boba.

Think about it, it makes perfect sense! Both fell into their certain doom, both come back due to fan demand! And if we go the Sernpidal mayor route, both of them even had a "certain doom" encounter with some strange big creature.

That's the true destiny that has to come full circle! :p

Just a thought - wouldn't excitement and general oh-this-must-be-great exclamation just be as theoretical? It might sound more positive, but in the end it's just pure speculation that might irritate people who don't like the idea. X says a new major novel series can't be good, Y says a new major novel series will definitely be great. Why would only one of them be allowed to express their opinion?

And I'm not saying this because I'm X or Y. I'm really extremely indifferent about this novel.

And I agree with the last part. Logically, it will be a series. There'll have to be other authors involved, because if DR ever did a self-contained hardcover trilogy from one author, I doubt that Allston would get chosen for that - he's got only a single HC, and that was in a series. He's also quite open about the fact that he prefers the side stories like X-Wing.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I actually don't find it that unlikely that it's an Allston effort only (if it is indeed a post-ROTJ release and not a Dark Times one). While Allston has only written one hardcover, that's as many as Traviss has written, and she's been getting the hardcover treatment for upcoming releases lately because she's been selling. Allston's been one third of the latest effort and hasn't suffered any fan backlash lately. He's clearly on his way up as one of DR's author pool. If DR has decided to listen to the fans who say they'd prefer a return to single-author series and trilogies and standalones rather than lengthy multi-author series, then someone has to write that hardcover trilogy. Approached from that angle, Allston's as good a choice as anyone else in the DR stable right now. Traviss is locked in to other work. Luceno has MF on his plate. Denning is free, but he's written fully half of the past twelve novels; DR may feel the post-ROTJ storyline is in need of a changeup to keep it from becoming too stale and one-author-dominated, as well as the fact that the last two series, his brainchildren, while not flops, didn't really hit it out of the park. Stover's busy with Mindor and his own work, and Zahn isn't really a DR regular and might or might not be interested anyway. Reaves is a PT guy so far, and has health issues that are keeping him from writing right now. They've only used Perry partnered with Reaves, and he has very little post-ROTJ experience anyway.

In fact, Allston is pretty much the logical choice, and as for hardcover trilogies, DR/LFL appear, since the NJO, appear to have put "pleasing whiny internet fandom" on the priority list, and with the talk that was coming out of LFL HQ after Invincible, it seems they're looking to please those who were turned off by LOTF and/or the NJO with Millennium Falcon and its happy-bouncy lack of grieving and standaloneness and, presumably, Fate of the Jedi (if it does turn out to be a post-ROTJ series/trilogy), which would make another multi-author megaseries unlikely.

4. starwarsobesses

starwarsobesses Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2008
    I hope it's not post LOTF because if it is i'm not reading it. I don't read books that take place after NJO.

5. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Quite honestly I think it would be funny if the book did involve Mace Windu in some form. I mean GL doesn't seem to care much for the EU continuity (or his own) by overseeing projects such as clone wars (see ashoka) and The Force unleashed (see Vader having an apprentice.) Assuming it could get past his supervision of course. It assumes of that GL doesnt much care for the EU continuity but then as i suggest there is some evidence of that and maybe he would allow such a idea because of that.

Also I like the idea of it portraying the fate of a certain depa Billaba. That's one Jedi's fate I'd like to know!

6. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    as gilligan once said he's (mace) dead dead dead.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one author trilogy.

8. PhaZe

PhaZe Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2006
    If this is post LotF then I want things to be taken slow before the big epic series is started. It seems clear the one sith will rise at some point, but why not take it slow? Right now the galaxy is trying to get itself back together, and there can be a myriad of great single stories and a few trilogies that can all take place within a short space of time like 1 or 2 years. Yes...that early. I see no reason to rush through the EU timeline. Star Wars movies are apparently done, and with the sad state of LotF I see no reason whatsoever to rush through a decade after each book to an eventual end of the EU without even deeply exploring this universe.

Are single stories not fun anymore? Honestly, there is so much that simply hasn't been written. I mean give me a break here...we have a Jedi Order with Kyp Durron, Kyle Katarn, and Corran effin Horn on it. I could easily see trilogies written for Kyp and Corran alone with them being incredibly exciting. Or how about a single book featuring Jag on one of his own standalone adventures? Han and Leia duo in a smaller (but equally as interesting) conflict with more rogues like Talon Karrde? How about a Luke and Ben novel featuring a crazy rogue mission?

I think I've made my point.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Hahahahahahahahah . . . wait, I have emoticons for this. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Because I know there's a banthaload of people going to buy this anyway, and hardcovers are getting shorter each time, and that's the depth it's going to have.

Legacy of the Jedi. Secrets of the Jedi. Children of the Jedi. Fate of the Jedi. Can these titles get any lamer? Why does del rey have a serious infamy for bland titles? Is is so much to ask to see something a little . . . exciting?

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really like Aaron's work but if it's after LotF, I'm not likely to buy it. That series burnt me out on buying SW books just because it's SW. And I used to buy every single darn book. Not any more.

Hopefully he's starting a series during the Clone Wars or the Dark times... anything but post LotF.

11. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I like the series title Fate of the Jedi. Allegiance, Death Star... those were "bland titles." This one actually has a mysterious implication and, while gimmicy, has a very SW sound to it. Besides, the individual book title hasn't been announced yet...

12. PhaZe

PhaZe Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2006
    For what its worth for the estimated page count I won't be buying it. I picked up Betrayal because LotF seemed to have massive potential. I think it was worth it because Betrayal was really exciting.

If its post LotF though I can't see myself getting excited enough to drop that kind of money on such a short book.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They'll probably bring Denning back to kill off the last Solo kid for the climax, but not before she secretly gives birth to Darth Zekk's son, which Emperor Jag Fel and his wife Empress Tahiri Fel decide to adopt and claim as their own child! ;)

14. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    [face_thinking] A 256 pages hardcover? That's odd. I'd read it, although I'll most probably wait for the paperback.
    The title seems worn.

Peronally, I wouldn't want Allston writing a Dark Times era novel (post the Jedi purge), that should be more serious and Allston's book are rarely that. But Fate states it could be after an Purge. Or a Civil War, like in TOTJ/KOTOR era.

I remember Sue Rostoni mentioning something about a possibility of a KOTOR era novel in 2010. But i don't think this is it.

If it is post LOTF, yeah I would read it, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

15. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Sue posted today on SW.com that they cannot count the pages on a novel that's not been written yet.
    Guess someone just inserted a generic page count. I'm still excited and cannot wait to get my
    hands on the darn thing. IMO it's Allston so it's all good.[face_peace]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Exactly right on the page count thing, and Im surprised that no one here mentioned that sooner.

I know its probably unlikely, but did Sue happen to mention anything at all about the book, like what era it'll take place in ?

17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Nope, just a single line on the page count.
    Right here --> http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=222689&start=6765

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Cool, thnx for that.

19. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    I hope it is post-LOTF. I loved LOTF and I think Allston did a great job. And NO WAY is Troy Denning killing off Jaina. Remeber Allston, Traviss, and Denning all thought of the plot-line together. So pretty all of them are to blame for the death of Jacen Solo. But I would deffinitly buy it if it was after LOTF. I would not buy it if it was before Revenge of the Sith because I don't read those.

20. CadderlySoaring

CadderlySoaring Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2008
    DVader, Sue can't comment on specifics until an official press release or announcement has been made for the novel. But thankfully, she could answer that question on the page count.

I knew that was a wrong page count over at Amazon. The novel hasn't even been officially announced and Aaron Allston is likely still in the planning stages for what's going to happen here.

Definitely looking forward to this one from Allston.

If James Luceno is covering Leia, Han and Allana.

I'm betting that Allston is covering Jaina, Jag, Luke and the Jedi Order (as the title suggests). Since Allston knows how to cover Jaina and Jag ground well (Rebel Dream in NJO), this should be an entertaining installment into the EU!

21. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Honestly I hope its post-LOTF, I've had enough of that Clone Wars garbage, we know how the war ends and who dies so it's not exciting anymore.

22. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    Thank you. I love reading something when I don't know whats going to happen.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, there's nothing wrong with knowing what's going to happen. It's just that the CW has been retread endlessly--and unlike the classic period, it's not compelling.

Otherwise, I agree with Havac's interpretation of the situation. It could easily be an Allston-only trilogy.

24. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Couldnt agree more with your statement about the Clone Wars, Jello. I think the fact that the movies were pretty much complete pants doesnt exactly compel me to read any more on the era, plus I feel like theyve milked all they can out of what is essentially a three year chunk of the timeline.

25. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Next up . . . "Mullets of the Jedi"

Wait . . . here's a good one--"Return of the Jedi!"