main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi issues...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, May 29, 2018.

1. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    I know it sounds silly to harp on, but it stuck out to me simply as such a rookie move from an established hero, I immediately thought it'd come back to bite him to allow them to talk and immediately it seems like it did, that's all on it though

I do not think I have bc I don't recognize the initials

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    ...we're comparing Luke keeping Vestara prisoner to a prison warden's new decorations? Not to mention that the Horn children are victims, or if you follow Daala's POV (and treat the Jedi skeptically in every way) they at least should be treated humanely, rather than just locked up in carbonite. Might as well just execute them since I doubt Daala intends to release them ever. Luke was already treating Vestara pretty decently considering he's already seen how vicious and deadly she can be.

Luke's so-called alliance with the Sith sure comes off as... well, I'd say silly. The Tribe Sith are pompous, dangerous yes, but Luke is like the patient babysitter putting up with a bunch of brats. If only there were some other Force-sensitive people in the galaxy that Luke could call on for help, but too bad, its basically Luke and Ben and a bunch of Tribe jerks are the only ones available to try to take on Abeloth.

AusStig and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah Luke is treating Ves well, though she did save his life so maybe that counts towards something.

If only Luke had spent the first few books meeting and helping non jedi force orders, so now when he needs help he could call upon them.

But such thoughts are mer fantasy.

Also @OutsiderJediSam what do you think of the court plot?

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    AusStig likes this.
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I want to know how he is finding Allies, I mean there is some shocking stuff in there

Remember when the Mando murders the unarmed girl and Daala just rationalises it?

And then decides to use them to shoot anti slavery protestors?

I mean wow

6. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Any hope of people rationally following Daala after that goes out the window. Say what you will about the need to bring the Jedi into line, her Imperial roots take hold, and there are still enough members of the Rebellion/New Republic who remember fighting against the Empire. After all her efforts at opposing Caedus, she takes a page out of his book: using private security forces as secret police-type organizations: Caedus-GAG; Daala-Mandalorians.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I really wanted the people with in the GA who remember the NR to over through Daala (maybe the jedi defend a peaceful protest from Mandos gunning them down for action)

Instead the Jedi prove Daala 100% right. They launch a violent coup and take over the government, when the government tries to take away their privilege. I wonder if that was intentional

8. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    hello everyone, I'm sorry, I've just gotten very lax with reading lately, gotten very busy with other things, just haven't had the gumption to read this series the last week or so....but I'm getting ready to read a bit right now, power through tonight a good bit...

@Darth Invictus, yes I have finished Backlash, I thought I commented on it, if you have any questions for me about it, feel free to ask

@AusStig, I'll be back into more Allies shortly and will have a lot to say probably

AusStig likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What do you think of the Ben-Vestara relationship?

10. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    funny enough, I just came back to comment after reading the section in Allies where Ben and Vestara have to chase down Dyon when he goes crazy too....(yay for that btw, good grief)

but that whole section really drives home this whole burgeoning feelings for each other....

just to get this out of the way and move on, the writing is a little to on the nose for my taste with constant references to feelings when they glance at each other, how Vestara's reactions make Ben feel, and how they feel with the slightest little touch, it's just too much and too often mention in such a short little span....I'm supposed to be reading SW, not a teen romance novel

on to the actual relationship, I want to like it (bc a Jedi and a more gray Sith unison could be really cool), but I just can't, I can't.....she's a Sith who did the deeds she did in Backlash (totally sold the Nightsisters into slavery, etc), and now Ben is just mooning over her anyway....and the book is trying to show her as not being pure evil, but.....it's like Daala, she has too many actions that just ARE!!!

so Ben shouldn't be into her at all, I mean it'd be akin to me liking a girl and pursuing her even though I know she's a thief/murderer/etc...sorry nope, that's a game ender to me

11. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I wanted a different post for this (the above post was to answer a question)

I absolutely think slavery is wrong, and people in SW universe SHOULD fight against it, h/e the placement of the anti-slavery story w/in this book comes out of nowhere, and seems to have absolutely no connection to the main plot (except that the planet Luke and company are on has slavery, but it doesn't seem like it'll be addressed there), so it just feels like a filler side story, I mean the POV characters are a slave on Tatooine and a news group, what does that have to do with anything with the plot of FOTJ?, it reminds me of the Mando storyline from LOTF (which was 99% useless filler)….if this was going to be story for this plot, make it like was posted earlier, let this be the story of the Jedi so that they are actually doing something instead of doing nothing on Coruscant

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    IU it always seemed strange to me the Hutts didn't manage to suppress the slave revolts immediately after they began-after all the treaty of Vontor has been in effect for over 25,000 years.

13. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    hey, I just read where Leia and Han visit Tahiri to tell her about Anakin appearing to Luke back in Abyss.....

1) it was very moving!!!
    2) yet, I realized something, I know the belief on the age/life experience it takes to "be in love" is a constant back and forth issue b/t people, h/e to me, the Tahiri/Anakin thing just seems like it's presented as too deep for their ages in my opinion considering all things.....I would believe in reality Anakin (before death) thought he loved her (but in reality he did not in a real super deep way aka type of love a true couple has) and Tahiri thought she was in love (but it's really hero worship since Anakin saved her) and yes, for Tahiri those feelings never resolved bc there was no closure, but for a serene Anakin in the Force showing up to Luke, I'm not so sure he'd still concerned with "childish love".....but I'm not shocked the book portrays it this way although it is sorta weird that Leia/Han champion the notion too (parents of a 15-16 yr old...)

EDIT: so jw, did Christie Golden finally figure out that Daala was actually still evil? (yay, that an author finally realized it) bc, Daala's first appearance in this book is her straight up threatening the Jedi's families....there's no gray area in that, nothing in the law that allows for that, no justification bc of the Jedi's actions, that is just straight up E.V.I.L!!!

and of course, I read the next chapter and Daala has laid siege to the Jedi Temple again, but is complaining how she's being seen to be like Vader, Palps, etc.....well DUH!!!! I seriously think Daala has mental issues

and yay, Jaina and Jag break up over the most obvious thing ever, Jaina constantly wants Jag to do w/e she asks no matter how it affects him, Jag actually has a sense of duty, good job Jag!!

kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    On the nightsisters I don't feel bad about Ves doing that since the NS are horrible people to start with so I think they deserve it haha

Also Daala gets worse

And Daala might actually have brain damage

kalzeth likes this.
  15. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I don't feel sorry for the NS, but it doesn't make me think what Vestara did is less evil just bc they are evil too

16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Eh I have a different view.

So do you think Luke was evil when he murdered Lumya?

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Hutts were considerably weakened by the Yuuzhan Vong, as noted throughout FotJ. The decision to send a fleet to the Confederation was always suspect, but it looks like the Hutts projected how strong they still were - which is perfectly a Hutt thing to do.

As to Allies and Backlash, I like to think that Daala did her best to run the galaxy as an Imperial ethically, but she was handed some particularly personal issues, such mad Jedi, and the conflict was extended by Lecersen and his crew.

As to the slavery plot... it’s relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  18. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I think Luke acted very out of character. I really hated that moment in LOTF. I do think there is a big difference though in the greatest hero of the galaxy giving into such an act once because that person had killed his wife (and regrets it afterwards), and a Sith who did it for personal gain (and would do it again by what's said in Allies.)

@Sinrebirth, how can you think it's ethical that she threatens the Jedi's families? or okay that she just straight up assaults the Jedi Temple? What are these "personal" problems?

Hopefully the slavery plot will be, but didn't you also say the Mandalorian plot was relevant to LOTF??

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh she hates the Jedi - that’s personal.

The Mandalorian plot was pretty relevant I thought. In that it showed that Mandalorians were purely disruptive, not their own narrative. Jaina training etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    yes she hates the Jedi and as per the example I stated acts like a total evil dictator towards them...I don't see how you can say she acted ethically in Allies(your words)

The Mando plot took up at least 1/2 of each book that they were in. The only important part to the storyline was Jaina's training. Boba's chase for a cure had no bearing except on Boba, so if that had been done off screen, what story do you lose that affects LOTF? Jaina just shows up to a healthy or dying Boba to train, it doesn't really matter for that part. Boba looking for his daughter is sweet, but that story takes up one book and falls to the wayside quickly. All the Mando culture stuff, why do we care? It has nothing to do with the storyline except the Mando's finding Beskar and using it to make weapons they sell or use in the battles they show up in. Once again, who really was asking for that backstory? If all we got was a mention that Mandos have a new very hard metal they use, I'm pretty sure we'd all be okay. No extra info necessary. Boba being the new Mandalore doesn't really go anywhere, except people listen to him now, but once again, who needs that story fleshed out? And yes, the Mandos help Jaina fight near the end of the series, but that comes from the part where Jaina trains with them, and I'm not complaining about that inclusion. Take away all the other stuff, and the ending use of the Mandos is still the same.

Look, I get it that some people might find world-building a minor character/planet/people very interesting, but do that in it's own book then. Those people can go read that book. That's why there are "Tales of" books in SW. For the main story about the Big 3, NJO, etc, there's no good reason to put it there except word padding if it's not important to the main story.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    To avoid spoilers, all I can say is, um, keep your expectations low. Very low. As in, you remember how much substance LotF had? Well, less than that. The "crazy young Jedi" plot take 10 is proof of that.

Golden is not good at handling romances either. Vestara is not exactly a sympathetic character, she's just mean. I usually don't mind shipping, but it has to be something more than just two young people in close proximity, especially such an untrustworthy one. She thinks she's doing the right thing, but that doesn't excuse all the mean tricks we've seen her pulled off.

What's crazy is that everyone in-story is surprised by Daala's brutal actions. She is an Imperial, and while she did have some redeeming qualities, the current Daala is still almost a different person, so the comparison is jarring. Not to mention that many of the Jedi are veterans of the Galactic Civil War and the Vong War, are GA-hired Mando mercs really such a challenge, or at least that much of a surprise?

You'd think gearing up to fight an eldritch abomination would be more than enough of a main plot, but guess not. But then not like Luke can gather allies to go fight Abeloth, instead he's stuck with the Tribe Sith. At least its clear Luke isn't in much danger from them because they're that stupid/arrogant (at least I think it was something like that), but that doesn't make it easier to put up with them.

OutsiderJediSam and kalzeth like this.
  22. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    so I'm going to complain about writing errors again, mainly bc I don't think they should be ignored.....especially since I keep finding so many

1) first it's mentioned in the span of 3 pages that the Chev are the slavers and the Chevin are the slaves (p 170), but then later it's reversed that the Chevin are the slavers and the Chev are the slaves (p 172)...and both times it reads that it's specie wide, not a simple aspect that anyone can enslave any other individual….and earlier in the book it was pointed out that the Chevin enslave the Chev (p 129)…..get your story straight

also I might add, at least to me, such unimaginative naming...hey let's make 2 species on a planet, what do we call them? well let's name one the Chev, okay what about the other? well, how about we add "in" on to the end of Chev, sounds great!!!

also, just looked up the pics of these 2 species on Wookiepedia……..really that close of a name for species that look that different?

2) Chp. 16, just feels like bad writing at the start....it opens with Luke AFTER the events of the prev. chapter which was the convo w/ Allana, it then shifts to a retelling of events leading up to the present w/o any real transition that is what it is doing, then suddenly you finally realize that is what happened b/c the events suddenly interact with the said convo that was mentioned just moments before once again without any transition (p186-189)

also just read this, Luke admits to being shocked 3PO was actually able to translate Vestara and her father's speech so that pretty much means Luke did allow the private meeting thinking he wouldn't get any info from it and that is totally stupid!!!

AusStig and kalzeth like this.
  23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I like Ves cause she is smart, a bit mean maybe but I like tricksters.

As to everyone else, I think the water supply of the Entire galaxy was spiked with stupid after NJO.

But yeah as I said before I thought Luke would call the friends he made on his quest to help him with this mission.

I think that Luke has also started to believe his own legends

kalzeth and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  24. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    you know what, I feel bad for Klatooine…..no wonder the galaxy hates the Jedi, I know it's not really Luke's fault, but still, he brought the Sith to the planet, and now they just desecrate the one very sacred place on the whole planet, something that hasn't been desecrated for possibly 25,000 years.....yea, I'd probably sorta hate Luke Skywalker myself

@AusStig....btw, I just remembered you asking about KP, I finally came across her briefly....man, the Masters seem petty, so Kenth got an assistant, big deal, she seems nice enough and works hard, but I've only read one scene with her.....consider me not shocked though if she turns out to be a spy for Daala

more writing errors, so Lando and Luke have a discussion about Luke heading on into the Maw and Lando will need to catch up (p 197-198)….then Lando has arrived at Klatooine and is upset that Luke isn't there (p 211-212)….try harder writer to remember what you've already wrote

interestingly though, Jaina finally acts with some diplomacy skills when she shows up, something she's never had before, although ironically Lando actually praises her as if diplomacy is something she does a lot, which we all no it's definitely not, Jaina is definitely NOT known for the diplomatic approach to anything

AusStig and kalzeth like this.
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The Sith have an interest affect on the planet.

Don't forget Han made up the name, so he and Leia are just as petty.

You will see

Yeah, Jaina is interesting here.

Sinrebirth likes this.