main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi. What?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Droid, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm glad none of the authors used Rodan; I hated that guy from the start, as soon as Vector Prime. To me he's worse than Pwoe. At least there was some humor to go with Pwoe's depiction (mostly in Ylesia), but Rodan is just awful.

2. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    I'm no fan of Rodan as a human being, but he makes a heck of a lot more sense as a political opponent than Admiral Freakin' Daala, of all people.

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True, but considering he was allied with the Confederation, I doubt anyone in the entire GA would consider him worthy of the role of COS. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if those in the Lecersen Conspiracy did. You know that was one side plot that actually made sense to me, coming in right behind Tahiri's trial (possibly my favorite parts of the series aside from the Luke/Ben interaction).

4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    If they considered Daala worthy of the role, they could have considered anyone worthy of the role.

5. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Since we're having a FOTJ criticism thread...what the hell is with the Barabels in this? Who the **** do they think they are?

AusStig likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It might have been that she was so hated by both sides (remember, the Moffs hated her, and killed her husband at some point in the past) that they thought she'd be suitable- someone unable to drum up popular support and become Empress.

7. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    They don't think they're anything; they know they're Denning's favorite characters and have all kinds of special privileges.;) More seriously, I kind of like Saba, Tesar et al as quirky supporting characters, but LOTF and FOTJ (particularly the Denning-penned entries) have a bad habit of pushing them far beyond what they deserve.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Rodan would have been fine as a peace-time bureaucrat Chief of State who wants the system to run properly and do the right things at the right time and never deviate.

Though his scepticism regarding the Force didn't really work for me, Luke probably could have smacked him around the room or sent him through a window and he'd still be wittering on about it proving nothing.

9. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    Sigh. If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't buy the books and then go on the internet complaining about how Star Wars books suck.

Jesse Booth and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    And why is it now ok for some Jedi (Usually Barabels) to kill higher ranking Jedi, with no repurcussions?

11. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    That was an accident.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, one thing I always wondered...what lightsaber color does Saba have? I know the DNT said there was a red glow while she was fighting Welk, but it could've been Welk's. I think in the Force Heretic trilogy it said ruby, maybe. I don't think it ever said in LOTF-FOTJ, though. Personally I always pictured purple or orange. And what about Kenth Hamner. Did it say what color he had in any of the books?

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ah, then, I agree in that respect. Bar Taalon and a little of Vol and Workan, we don't get a particularly good feel for the Tribe. There are thirteen High Lords and we get the names of half of that. Sadly, they weren't the main villains, so Vestara and Gavar were really all we were given.

I don't consider unleashing a virus on Coruscant, employing terror tactics, rearming Centerpoint and attacking the Core 'nothing', myself. By the time Commenor had gone through the war, he was a martyr, and the GA was hardly going to allow a Confederate to be Chief of State.

She was a candidate who was not drawn from the Remnant, Confederation or GA. In that respect she's a third party faction who is then endorsed by Bwua'tu and Niathal, the former the respected Supreme Commander, and the latter the 'legitimate' Chief of State in that she was alive and Caedus wasn't, even if she was disgraced. They handed her the support of the military and those factions that had supported Niathal. Effectively she's on an emergency term, and appointed.

As to Daala's political issues being whitewashed - the mentioned treaty in Apocalypse seems geared towards dealing with the Jedi and Sith, regardless of who launches a coup. We know the Jedi are forcibly detached from the GA rather than forced to maintain this half-loyal-half-independent approach that Luke has followed since the NJO's inception, probably due to his connections with the Chief of State office i.e. Leia and Mon Mothma and then Cal Omas. Fey'lya, Niathal, Caedus and Daala didn't have that personal connection. So... the situation is resolved, in that Daala is proven right - the Jedi are in the GA or out of it. They can't be both, or neither.

darth fluffy likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, you buy the books and you have every right to complain about it.

Don't like the posts? Simple - don't read 'em.

And before you retort people should simply give up if they don't like it, EU sales would likely be greatly diminished if everybody did do that!

For myself? Betrayal was quite sufficient for me for LOTF.

15. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    You know, generally speaking I don't like to rag on things I dislike. I generally consider myself a positive person and prefer to avoid things that I know will only upset me. That said, Star Wars is a special case. It's something I've adored for more than 15 years, and I've traditionally been a big fan of most of the EU, and I make a point to reread the Thrawn books and the NJO every few years. And I dislike LOTF greatly (absolutely detest some aspects- Tahiri, what did they do to you?), feel that FOTJ tried to be damage control but failed due to being built on a shaky foundation to begin with, in addition to largely feeling like about three separate series clumsily glued together; when I feel like something I love has fallen to pieces, I think I have every right to complain.

That said, I generally only read EU works these days if they interest me strongly, are by an author I trust, and/or are getting good word of mouth. The only things I'm following rigorously right now are the Dawn of the Jedi and Legacy comics, and I probably won't read Crucible unless Denning knocks it out of the park. I'm a completest at heart and hate abandoning something that's still ongoing, but my faith in the post-NJO EU has, sadly, pretty much reached its breaking point.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Legacy of the Force made no sense too.

I thought they might explore the Skywalker bloodline's relation to the Force in a spiritual way, practically being the descendants of it... but that never happened.

17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    You mean the one from the end of "Forces of Corruption"? If so I agree!

Maybe the just made up the title in one brain storming secession and left, like everything else in the story.

I was looking forward to a more relaxed series, where the jedi solved problems with soemthing other then violence.

I was wrong

Jesse Booth likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No. In the book in FOTJ that the Jedi attempted to rescue the Horn kids the rescuers found an entire room full of people in Carbonite. Nothing else was determined about it.

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Oh yeah I forgot about that.

As did the authors apparently, was it to show that Daala was evil?

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_dunno]No idea what the deal was with that.

21. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Same as Kessel.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I thought that was Alby

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    If they elect a woman who butchered civilians for the fun of it and who helped build the bloody Death Star, as well as properly do more harm to the Empire then Palpatines death they will elect anyone. Also Rodan is not a martyr as far as we know he is alive and kicking, likely fuming more than ever for being tricked by a bloody Sith and wanting them and their ilk gone for good, especially since the GA gone insane asteroid bombed his homeworld!

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As was mentioned:

she's appointed, not elected.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    o_O This makes LOTF and FOTJ even more stupid