main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi. What?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Droid, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Honestly, either or. I have little but raw contempt and hatred for those three book series. They killed my enjoyment of Star Wars to the point that the best reaction I have to the new trailer is 'meh'.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression for FOTJ that it wouldn't be a galaxy shaping epic. A series of of minor stories. Jedi vs. Sith for the 20th time with the Sith in complete control of everything? A Force Goddess of evil? Coruscant getting torched? Completely fell flat compared to Star By Star. That right there, was the end of the world.

Agreed. Though the end of the Confederation plot line left a lot to be desired. For the majority of FOTJ it was Luke and Ben battling Abeloth on some new planet with Vestara and the Sith changing sides like every other book. And then we get the cop out that Abeloth will come back in a few decades or centuries and they have to find a dagger to end her permanently? Who does that for a series?
    NJO was the best of the 3 imo. LOTF first 4 books plus first half of Sacrifice were also good. After that, completely crazy. FOTJ? Only read once. Need to read again.
    The search for the Dagger sounded interesting but Denning sent us on a 270 degree run around (for the Nth time) and came up with Crucible. Can't say 180 degree run around because that would send us back to FOTJ, which didn't happen.

AusStig and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    don't get me wrong there's really no good motivation for Jacen turning to the dark side

but it's like if Anakin turns to the dark side because Palpatine convinces him that Qui-Gon was actually a Sith Lord and he has a Force vision at the same time of him killing Obi-Wan if he arrests Palpatine or as a consequence of any other scenario in which he doesn't become a Sith, so he's like "okay I'm Darth Vader because I don't want to kill Obi-Wan" and then he tries to anyway

and then in Episode VII, in which Anakin is a Force ghost, he tells Luke "I became a Sith Lord because I had a vision of your mom dying in childbirth." But that isn't actually in Episode III or anything.

And that's not even factoring in the fact that Allana wasn't even conceived when Jacen saw her on the Pool of Knowledge as a Sith acolyte

They kind of shot themselves in the foot there when they had Tadar'Ro say that Jacen just started his journey when he visited the Aing-Tii, i.e. it was shortly after TUF, and upon handling the Codex he sensed the disturbance in the Maw taking him to Sinkhole Station where he saw that vision. Because they didn't plan it out at all. Of course keep in mind the Allana thing was revealed in Abyss which came after Omen so it's not like this couldn't have been coordinated, like Denning shouted "Eureka!" as he wrote Apocalypse or something.

Although I suppose that could have happened because I think Jacen just saw a Dark Man on the throne in Abyss and Allana isn't mentioned being with him until Apocalypse. Mea culpa

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I'm sure that would have pleased a lot of Mortis haters. I like the arc personally, but I know I'm in the minority. I found Abeloth to be an intriguing character. Very messed up with a gothic appearance. Would have been interesting if Sidious had lived to confront her. Nasty, though.

I recall thinking it was weird to see Darth Krayt of all people in this series working with Luke Skywalker. I do find the Lost Tribe of Sith interesting.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugh. Luke finding out about Krayt. How irritating.
    Though Legacy was pretty much jettisoned. Or at least not the official future in Denning's or whoever's words.

6. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Fate of the Jedi had a lot of good IDEAS. Sadly they tried to squeeze all of them into one series without enough space for any of them so they all completely failed.

1) Luke and Ben visiting force traditions - GREAT idea, but they spent basically no time at any of them, and this was forgotten after about 3 books. Never really had time to develop anything.

2) Lost Tribe - be they a Sith decendency from Exar Kun's time or just another dark-side species, it was a very interesting culture that we basically saw nothing of, until they'd suddenly managed to infiltrate literally everything....out of the blue. Which made no sense.

3) The Slave Revolts - not everyone enjoys political stuff, but that's pretty interesting to some of us, and would have been a good angle for a Luceno book (think Cloak of Deception)

4) Whatever was happening on Kessel - we STILL don't know what was really going on with that. Could have been a good mystery book. Star Wars has never really had a amystery book.

5) Flow Walkers - unique concept. Poorly done as basically a way to get Krayt shoehorned into the story. Could have been so much better.

6) Abeloth - SHOW us, don't tell us. Lovecratian horror could have been interesting to add to the universe, but she sort of became all powerful for no reason.

7) Lescerson Conspiracy - again an interesting dynamic. In the Galactic Alliance something like this was bound to happen. Instead of getting developed, it became a background plot that never developed into anything.

8) Jag taking control of the Empire....or not - eventually this (and his marriage to Jaina) had to be covered. But it just sorta happened with no real reason.

That's 8 major plot points. 1, 2, 3, and 7 could all be duologies and trilogies if properly fleshed out and focused on. The others should have all been standalones.

Instead, all 8 completely unrelated ideas were shoehorned into one wildly inconsistent, random and poorly developed series that never properly focused on anything. Any of these could have been an excellent book or series of boks. Instead we got a confused mess. Sad to see the wasted potential.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bring in other Force using group characters to the Galactic stage.
    Thank god for the Lost Tribe series by JJM even if it was thousands of years earlier.
    Slave revolts would have tied into Anakin's dreams from TPM.
    More Kessel would have been interesting. Was always intrigued by that place.
    Flow walkers. Also interesting. Would have been interesting to bring back a lot of other characters.
    Lescerson Conspiracy. Cloak of Deception. Enough said. Somehow tie Tahiri's trial into this and give her a friend.
    Turn everything away from Legacy comics after LOTF set some things up. Ugh.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I will have to disagree, lovecratian horror, at least of the kind Abeloth belong to, often work best when we are just given glimpses of how they work and where they come from. So don't show or tell us, tease us instead with bits of information but never give us the full picture.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Better explanation that I had. Yes. That.

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    seemed pretty obvious to me. It was about the fate of Jacen Solo, and if anything could have prevented it. Then it was the Fate of the jedi that had gone insane. Then it was the Fate of the Jedi against the Sith, and against Abeloth.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Legacy comics had already answered that question.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Not a fan, but i get you, and to me that answer is sucks

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree that being doomed to getting purged by the One Sith sucks.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost Tribe became Darth Krayt's Death Army!

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Weren't they pretty much wiped out?

I like how no holds barred the Jedi are in FOTJ. They're not Batman. They give the Sith the opportunity to surrender, and if they refuse, they're fair game to be Order 66ed.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Who the heck knows?

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Let's completely retool the discussion to focus on the ethics of the novel Apocalypse, insofar as that it essentially is stating that if Palpatine sent some sort of missive to every Jedi ordering them to surrender to his about to be christened Galactic Empire, and they refused, it was perfectly moral and ethical for him to execute Order 66.

Order 66 isn't the immoral act, it's the surprise nature of it without giving an opportunity to surrender that is! (Vergere was a Sith) That's the post-NJO for you, folks!
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    At one point I didn't like that part because the Jedi are supposed to have compassion, you know, but these are their mortal enemies who have infiltrated the government. And since they did give them the opportunity to surrender, it's not like they have a prison they can put them in or anything. And it's kind of awesome that Corran Horn basically dropped a billboard on a Sith in a limousine speeder.

I don't know, though, I'm still kind of conflicted about it. The surrender note they served up was almost like a taunt.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Compassion is for those who deserve it, my friend.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Right. Luke Skywalker said that, so it means all the Jedi act that way! I totally forgot.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "The Jedi are trained to let go. They're trained from birth. They're not supposed to form attachments. They can love people -- in fact, they should love everybody. They should love their enemies; they should love the Sith. But they can't form attachments."

Abadacus and Riv_Shiel like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Where is this quote from?

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Making of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, said by George Lucas.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    By that standard, Ben was the only one being a proper Jedi because he loved Vestara. But then he became attached to her so he failed too. :p

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's honestly one of the reasons I tend to be much more repetitive about disliking Denning than I am on pretty much anything else - his books genuinely kind of give me the creeps sometimes.