main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi. What?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Droid, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Abbiegalie

Abbiegalie Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 27, 2015
    I would have to agree, I liked when they were dueling all out with the Jedi, and Vestara Khai's character, I just wish it could of ended differently so Ben and Vestara could be together, and she would go to the light side, because she would make an awesome Jedi I believe.

AusStig likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The most interesting part of Fate of the Jedi IMO was Sinkhole Station and Beyond Shadows, not that either really went anywhere or had much significance to them.

Does anyone even know why there was an obvious implication in Abyss that the destruction of Centerpoint was responsible for Abeloth's release only for Luke to decide in Apocalypse that it was the constant warfare that did it, with 2GCW being the straw the broke the camel's back? Or just another retcon as we'd become accustomed to?

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I'm guessing retcon.

4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The tassels did it.

AusStig, Zer0, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    we should compile a list of every single retcon or "false lead" the post-NJO had

like in Millennium Falcon where Allana thought Seff was Jacen because he telekinetically threw blasters against a wall and I guess Jacen was known for doing that?

6. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    You would have to include "White Eyes Dark Man" like eight times.

I liked when Jacen's dark side avatar came to life and gained self-awareness at the end of Betrayal but I guess it was just a metaphor or something.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    pretty sure Jacen saw Ben as the Dark Man in Abyss. that's what Luke came away with, and if it was Krayt there wouldn't be a need for Jacen to be so coy about it

then Denning read this board and saw people theorizing it was Krayt adn thought that was a good idea

but since the idea was that Jacen sacrificed himself to the dark side to prevent a loved one he had to throw Allana in as an acolyte

but he forgot that Jacen visited Sinkhole Station c. 29-30 ABY and Allana was born in 36 ABY

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I thought Jacen was the Dark Man because Luke says "he exists" in Betrayal but is the Dark Man different from the White Eyed Man though because I thought that was Palpatine from Dark Empire but I also thought Luke was the White Eyed Man because didn't his eyes turn white at some point when he was being evil or is that also different from the person sitting on the throne because wasn't the Dark Man on the throne but then I thought Allana was on the throne oh my goddddd

JediMatteus, Riv_Shiel, Trip and 3 others like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love how schizophrenic Jacen's visions are. They are the very proof of "always in motion of the future" without trying to be.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Actually, re-reading it, it's heavily implied it was Luke.

later

Jacen saved the galaxy from Vader II! I guess we can give Denning the benefit of the doubt and actually assume there's some subtlety here and Jacen was being honest and Luke was just legitimately concerned that it was him and also believes Jacen was lying (even though he wasn't).

OH WAIT

Earlier in Abyss

And Apocalypse

Don't worry Mara, we're all confused.

Denning is the real Dark Man.

or it's Qui-Gon (someone please get this joke)

I'm gonna be serious for a moment and just say I don't think Denning really deserves the benefit of the doubt at all here though since he seems to reuse the same two metaphors in all his books. This sort of stuff always gives me a headache because I always feel like I'm putting more thought into than Denning did.

CT-867-5309, Abadacus, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  11. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Why did Denning even put Krayt in his books if he hated Legacy and wanted to erase it from the timeline? Idgi.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    When I read the ARC, I thought the whole purpose was to segue into SW Legacy. But some other people that also read the ARC thought that it was purposely erasing SW Legacy.

My theory is that he included Krayt to eliminate SW Legacy in a definitive way, e.g. Krayt dying, similar to how Anakin Solo was supposed to come back in Invincible, and the editors were like nope!, but he's already got Krayt in this rejected draft so he writes around it in a way which is apparently ambiguous enough that some people came away thinking it was erasing SW Legacy anyway? And in that sense it could have been kicking the can down the road so he could maybe convince them later to erase SW Legacy.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Why doesn't Denning like Legacy?

14. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Feel so bad for Denning, after ten years he had finally maneuvered all his chess pieces into place to tell the greatest SW story of all time, then they dump the EU. Best laid plans etc.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    because it takes Jaina away from the Jedi temple

that's where the stories are

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have Luke search for Krayt now or Krayt attacks and then is defeated for good.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I was looking for the interview where he basically stated he was trying to get rid of SW Legacy and then I remembered the podcast interview where he said that after ten years he finally had all the pieces in place finally to tell the good stories. Maybe they were the same interview. I don't feel like listening to a podcast interview again.

I wonder if Troy Denning will ever write another Star Wars book. Shelly Shapiro is still the editor at Del Rey for Star Wars. I don't feel safe.

Edit: Looking at these interviews...

"Abeloth isn't really a personification of evil, she is a personification of chaos and renewal. If you want to think of her in terms of Hindu mythology, the goddess Kali would be a lot closer to who she is. She is the one that destroys life so life can be reborn. The question for the dagger story, then, would concern what happens when you interrupt that saga. By preventing things from being destroyed, do you also prevent them from growing?"

huh

[​IMG]

I guess he really didn't understand Mortis.

It's probably more accurate to say that it's not that he doesn't get the NJO or Mortis, he just seems to think he can tell them better so he's retelling them except worse.
    [​IMG]

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    While I do believe this may be part of it, I think another part is he's impatient. Legacy is what, another 80 years after FOTJ? Denning seems to have been chafing under the idea that there's this entire Sith Order out there that he could use and he can't because they won't surface until after Luke is already dead. I mean, it was pretty apparent when he used them in LOTF that he really wanted to write them. But he couldn't because the Jedi were surprised by the Sith return or something. So he decides to find a way to use them that can either end up retconning Legacy, or else that can introduce them without ruining the "surprise." He wanted to have his cake and eat it too, but it just ended up creating headaches.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'll try to find the interview.

But the most obvious is that he had Jag become Imperial head of state in Invincible to align with SW Legacy, and at the same time he admits he was trying to get Jaina with Zekk but everyone else (Allston, the editors) wanted Jag and he fought that tooth and nail. There had to be a compromise where Jag is no longer head of state in order for that marriage to happen at the end of Apocalypse. It's absolutely silly.

"I kept thinking that Jaina and Zekk ought to end up together, but Aaron and a couple of editors seemed to prefer Jag. So we went back and forth about that in emails and story meetings, and eventually ended up resolving the issues I had -- which were that I didn't want to see Jaina going off to live with Jag somewhere other than the Jedi Temple, because I didn't want to lose her as a character.

"In my view, Jaina is a vital character to the future of the whole EU, and whenever anyone said she should be with Jag, I kept having images of her being ripped from my writing life forever. I guess I was identifying with Han Solo a bit too much there. 'You're not going to take my daughter away. She's going to live here in my Jedi Temple forever.’

"But once we worked out a way to bring Jag to her and make him a part of the Jedi Order, I was very happy to see Zekk move on and write Jaina and Jag’s wedding at the end of Apocalypse."

I FOUND IT BEFORE I POSTED

You mentioned at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con panel that Dark Horse’s Legacy was just one possible future. It seems you’ve definitely opened up the future regarding when, how and if the events of Legacy will unfold. Is that true? And if so, how do you see it proceeding?

TD: I feel like I definitely opened that possibility, but I honestly don’t know the answer. I’m only a writer, and that’s something the editors and people at Del Rey, Dark Horse and Lucasfilm will decide. To tell you the truth, at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if even they don’t know.

http://roqoodepot.com/2012/03/13/fotj-apocalypse-interview-with-troy-denning/

_Catherine_ I guess there's your answer for why Krayt is in the novel.

20. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Now find what he said at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con panel.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

Apparently you can only embed 5 videos per post!

My take is that whatever is said is the same as the whole "An Anakin will be in Legacy of the Force" line they gave at SDCC when LOTF was starting.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't want to lose Jaina as a character? What the heck?:rolleyes:
    How does her going to the Empire remove her from the equation entirely? I can think of plenty of plot lines to use her in.
    With the randomness of his plot lines, he couldn't come up with one plot line to use Jaina?

Jag as Emperor had to be set up pretty quickly didn't it? 3 or Emperors including him?
    The Imperial Mission didn't but I have no problems with how it went down.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm going to waste 55 min of my life and watch this panel. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

CT-867-5309 and _Catherine_ like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Don't do it, man. Those are 55 minutes you'll never get back.

No but I mean seriously though, the Denningverse is like quicksand or something. You keep going on further and further trying to figure out, to find some clue to just how it's supposed to make sense and before you know it you're in over your head because it just DOESN'T make sense and there's no way to get it to.

Riv_Shiel and Abadacus like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I mean seriously...what? He says it like he's a little kid who doesn't want somebody else playing with his favorite toy in their sandbox because that toy can only be in his sandbox. :confused:

Force Smuggler likes this.