main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fate vs. Free Will: The Prophesy vs. The Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by nknx2005, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nknx2005

nknx2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    What do you beleive in for the Star Wars universe? Which appeals to you more than the other choice?

Here is the situation:

Yoda vs Sidious

The Arguments
    -Fate: The Prophesy
    Yoda could have fought forever, and it wouldv'e been a really close fight, but he would have never won because Anakin was supposed to destroy the Sith.

-Free Will: The Lightsaber
    Yoda lost because of his small size. He was thrown much further during the fight than Sidious was and fell VERY far down, hitting his head on a few platforms and the floor.

Just out of curiosity, what do you beleive and state your opinions on this subject. Also, bring in other situations besids Yoda vs. Sids.

-nknx2005!

2. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Isn't this more ROTS-specific? It should be in the 3SA. I mean, ROTS forum. I still can't get over calling it the 3SA, though... :p

3. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Fate and free will go together.

Everyone has free will. but fate will occur anyway.

Its like that twilight zone where the guy knows his girlfriend is gonna die, so he takes her somewhere else, but she dies anyway.

You have free will, but fate will find you where ever you go.

4. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i believe we all have a fate that awaits us but our free will gets us there either sooner or later.

5. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Yoda chose not to pursue his encounter with Sidious. It's clear his immediate objective could not be achieved.

Kill Sidious or bring him in. Would one argue cowardice? Probably not, because there were tangible reasons that complicated the situation -- the clone troops (supposedly the crack troopers).

Some would argue that Yoda lost because he didn't defeat Sidious, but that's not necessarily a valid argument. There's no certain indication that Yoda would have lost if there had been a proper one on one duel to the finish without interruptions.

Prophecy! What is prophecy, really? If you take it as God's word or promise, then faith will make it happen. (At least as the reasoning goes.) If prophecy is some general claim that could find its fulfillment in any number of circumstances for it's fulfillment, then eventually, somewhere, the prophecy would be filfilled.

Much of GL's premise is that people make choices, which hamstrings the predestination argument. We, like the Jedi, make our own lives. Swordsmen, like the Jedi, similarly have to made decisions because they can coerce others whether for good or bad reasons.

6. nknx2005

nknx2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Isn't this more ROTS-specific? It should be in the 3SA. I mean, ROTS forum. I still can't get over calling it the 3SA, though...

Well, the situation was, but i;d like you guys to expand the sinarios to cover the entire saga. I just used this example since this was the only on i could think of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.