main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Fathers and Sons - The Saga's Most Powerful Theme

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ewoksimon, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    One of the best explored themes in the saga for me is the relationships between fathers and sons. Of course, there's technically only one veritable biological relationship between a father and a son (although the case could be made for Palpatine and Anakin in a roundabout way). But more than anything, I think the remarkable power behind Star Wars is that it shows us how sons have the ability to become their fathers, and how fathers, despite their flawed teachings, have the power to influence their sons. Here are a couple dynamics which are present in the episodes:

TPM: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan; Qui-Gon and Anakin
    AOTC: Obi-Wan and Anakin; Jango and Boba (although this one has the least thematic relevance)
    ROTS: Palpatine and Anakin (by this point, Obi-Wan and Anakin are self acknowledged "brothers")
    ANH: Obi-Wan and Luke
    ESB: Vader and Luke
    ROTJ: Palpatine and Vader; Vader and Luke

What I find most interesting with the saga, which has doubtlessly been discussed before is the aspect of history repeats itself, or rather, is doomed to do so. Of course, one can point to parallels between Anakin's failings in AOTC with Luke's in ESB, but one of the larger reasons for this is that for long stretches in both films, both characters are missing their respective father figures.

Anyway, I just think that this theme of fathers and sons, with all their influences and their flaws, is perhaps the very strongest of themes present in the saga, and I'd love to hear others thoughts on this and any other dynamics within the saga I might be forgetting.

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    There's an older thread on the same topic; maybe you'd be interested in having a look:

http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_saga/b10456/22919247/p1/?22