1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Art Archive Fatty's Colorings -- The Manifestation of a Crayola Addiction -- 2/21 Jaina/Jag Update

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BigFatty, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello, and welcome to my art thread! I'm still a bit of a newbie over in these parts, I usually can be found in the fanfic forum, but I'm dabbling my foot in these waters as well now. I can't draw to save my life, but I love to color. If you have a lineart that you would like to see colored, feel free to send it my way. :)

My first job was given to me by the people of the Children of the Force story. FalconFan is the artist of the pictures, I just added some color. The originals can be found in her thread.

Leto Durron:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/letodurroncotf3jeblack.jpg]

Jace Durron:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/jacedurroncotf9avblack.jpg]

Padme Skywalker:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/padmeskywalkercotf4mublack.jpg]

Arcas:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/arcascotf1mhblack.jpg]

Anakin Solo Djo:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/Anakin_GioColorFinal.jpg]
  2. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh SARA!

You rock our world! Thank you so much... I have no idea where COTF would be without you and Falcon Fan! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  3. jedi_master326 Jedi Master

star 4
    oh, man. those were good. well done, and thank you!
  4. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings Fatty, and a warm welcome to Fan Art! LOL at the title to your thread!! For me, it's pencils! ;)

Zonoma told me you were coloring some of the portraits, and I'm glad you decided to share that work here!

It's always a surprise to see my drawings done up in color--it really adds a dimension and "life" to them that the simple b/w seems to lack! I just love the colors you chose for Leto's flightsuit--I didn't really have any idea what color it might be (and I don't remember asking the author, lol!), so just left it sort of "neutral." Now, with the tones you chose, it really looks like a flightsuit! Wonderful use of shading, too--you've managed to "lift" the contours and retain the shadows that were in the original drawing. And Jace looks fabulous too: the coloring on the clothing is exactly as in the original drawing that I worked from--the basis of the portrait--and that blue hair is very believable! Just as was requested! Nice work on the tattoos and that scar--I think your coloring has defined each quite well, where in the pencil drawing they were a bit tough to distiquish.

You are quite talented with this, and I hope you'll share more when you have some! Thank you again, and welcome to the forum!

FF
  5. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Just a quick note to say that I've added Padme to the first post. A big thanks to your compliments and welcome. I'll get to a more detailed reply post in a bit, but right now my grocery-deprived pantry deserves my attention.
  6. Briman Jedi Master

star 4
  7. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Zonoma: You rock our world!

Thank you [face_blush]

Thank you so much... I have no idea where COTF would be without you and Falcon Fan! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Glad you're pleased with how they look :)

jedi_master: oh, man. those were good. well done, and thank you!

Thank you and you're welcome

FF: Greetings Fatty, and a warm welcome to Fan Art!

Thanks for the invite :)

Wonderful use of shading, too--you've managed to "lift" the contours and retain the shadows that were in the original drawing.

That's due to layers in Photoshop and me not knowing enough of how to do shadowing on my own with the program. Besides, I'd rather keep the work as close to the original as possible.

and that blue hair is very believable!

That's my favorite part of his picture too ;)

You are quite talented with this, and I hope you'll share more when you have some!

Thank you :) As long as people keep giving me things to color, I'll be happy to keep at it.

Briman: Awesome coloring

Thank you
  8. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    :eek:

This is brilliant, Sara! Fantasitic colouring... I wish I could colour... :D

Love the title, by the way. :p :D [face_laugh]
  9. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, Padme is my fav so far! She looks fantastic! I love how you've done this--just beautiful--and you've managed to retain that harsh, low lighting I used in the orginal portrait--well done! I'm a complete techno-doof so this sort of "magic" really fascinates me--great work!!
    =D=

FF
  10. Brant_Flir Jedi Master

star 4
    DUDE! Jace looks awsome! Wonderful image FF (will post on your site next!) Nice color job BigFatty. I never thaought of the gauntlets/gloves being black. They look awsome.
  11. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Welcome to Fan Art, BigFatty! It's great to see more fan fic folks coming on over! :D

Now, as for your coloring - excellent work! They all have a 3D rendering effect going on. I haven't seen a style quite like that before. It's really neat. What program are you using?

I hope you'll continue to post your wonderful pics! ;)
  12. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    My goodness! You're very talented! =D=

Padmé looks just like I pictured her. And Jace and Leto.....*purrrs* [face_love]

Really amazing work, here. It's pretty cool to have a image to go along with the story.

=D=
  13. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Beautiful work.... erm is there anything else we can call you other than Big Fatty...I feel like I'm being insulting. :D

Great title for your thread by the way!! :D Love it! Mine was going to be Visual Vomit of Corellian_Rogue! I just make things pretty, the smarts are elsewhere in the boards. :)

Now onto the colouring...beautiful! It's really quite bizarre to see Falcon's works coloured...I never imagined Jace had blue hair!!! :D Wonderful work on that by the way...looks completely natural with the tones and colouring. And great skin tones...nice and subtle lighting! It must be quite a challenge working with the already rendered nature of Falcon's work...trying to mesh the traditional and digital together is a challenge but you're handled it so well!

Great work and keep it up, can't wait for more! *nudges poor lonely, uncoloured linearts in my thread* LOL ;) Just joking...I'm sure you have a heap of work on your art plate.
  14. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Idrelle: This is brilliant, Sara! Fantasitic colouring... Love the title, by the way.

Thank you :)

FF: Oh, Padme is my fav so far! She looks fantastic!

Thank you, it helps to work with fantastic art to begin with ;)

Brant: DUDE! Jace looks awsome! Nice color job BigFatty. I never thaought of the gauntlets/gloves being black. They look awsome.

Thank you very much

HanSolo: Welcome to Fan Art, BigFatty! It's great to see more fan fic folks coming on over!

Now, as for your coloring - excellent work! They all have a 3D rendering effect going on. I haven't seen a style quite like that before. It's really neat.

Thank you again

What program are you using?

I use Photoshop. It's a process of making two layers of the same image. On the "lower" image you do the actual coloring and then reduce the opacity on the "top" image to 30-35% so the color comes through from the bottom, but you still see detail work (shadowing, and any lines really) from the top layer. Wow... I kind of sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

I hope you'll continue to post your wonderful pics!

As long as I keep getting pieces to color, I most certainly will.

Miranda: My goodness! You're very talented! Padmé looks just like I pictured her. And Jace and Leto.....*purrrs*

[face_laugh] Thank you

Really amazing work, here. It's pretty cool to have a image to go along with the story.

Glad I could be of service.

C_R: Beautiful work

Thank you

erm is there anything else we can call you other than Big Fatty...I feel like I'm being insulting.

[face_laugh] My name is Sara, if you would rather call me that. But I'm not at all insulted by being called Big Fatty. It's a nickname from one morning in Sunday School 6 years ago where I sat down on one of the couches with my plate of donuts and the couch broke under the stress of my then whopping 100 lbs.

Great title for your thread by the way!! Love it! Mine was going to be Visual Vomit of Corellian_Rogue!

Haha, thanks and you should have named your thread that, it would be awesome. :)

I just make things pretty, the smarts are elsewhere in the boards.

I know exactly how you feel.

Wonderful work on that by the way...looks completely natural with the tones and colouring.

Thank you

Great work and keep it up, can't wait for more! *nudges poor lonely, uncoloured linearts in my thread* LOL Just joking...I'm sure you have a heap of work on your art plate.

Actually, my art plate is free as of this morning. So anything you would like to see colored, please let me know.

Sidenote: Once
    Zonoma gives me the thumbs-up for the Arcas, I'll post it here and the COTF collection will be complete.
  15. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Consider the thumbs up given for Arcas but this collection is FAR from complete! FF and I just have to draw the other characters before we can send them to you!o_O

BTW, feel free to put Jaina on here, too.

I don't have much time right now but I will comment in depth later, k?

-Z-
  16. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    See the first post for complete set of COTF characters.

And in case you didn't read the above thread, I don't have any work for the moment. So if you would like to see more, shoot some line art (with the proper permission) my way.
    :)
  17. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooo, Arcas looks awesome, Sara! I'm with Rogue here on the username--Sara feels much more appropriate to me! :D I love the green cape--it's the perfect color for him, I think! These are all just beautiful--you've done a marvelous job! =D=

FF
  18. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hope you'll continue to post your wonderful pics!

As long as I keep getting pieces to color, I most certainly will.

Oohh... someone may have some peices for you to work on in the future O:)
    Very nice work which compliments the originals nicely :) Padme is especially vibrant. I think I understand the process you used, though my attempts never turned out that nice lol
  19. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    FF: Oooo, Arcas looks awesome, Sara!

Thank you :)

I'm with Rogue here on the username--Sara feels much more appropriate to me!

I promise I'm not offended by Big Fatty, but if it makes you feel more comfortable, go for it.

I love the green cape--it's the perfect color for him, I think!

Thank you, I was told he had all dark clothes, but it was going to be to drab unless I did something like that with the cape.

TWD: Oohh... someone may have some peices for you to work on in the future

I'd love to have more work. I'm not really sure what the protocol is over here on coloring and such. Am i supposed to just go ahead and color things and then let the artist know? Do I ask if I can color? Am I just supposed to wait for work to come to me? I just don't know.

Very nice work which compliments the originals nicely Padme is especially vibrant.

Thank you. Later I'll put up some of the COTF people with alternative backgrounds, and I really like the other one I did with Padme.

I think I understand the process you used, though my attempts never turned out that nice lol

The trick is to take whatever color you want and make it way dark. Like for Arcas, I wanted to have a darker green cape, just to keep all his clothes darker like I was told they were. But with changing the opacity for the upper layer, the green I used for the cape was almost black. But people like it, so I can't really complain.

And to celebrate surviving the first midterm of the quarter, some Jaina action done by the lovely
    Zonoma

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/JainaColor.jpg]
  20. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd love to have more work. I'm not really sure what the protocol is over here on coloring and such. Am i supposed to just go ahead and color things and then let the artist know? Do I ask if I can color? Am I just supposed to wait for work to come to me? I just don't know.

Well, I'd imagine as long as you don't try to take credit for other people's original work, you should be pretty ok. Either way, common courtesy would yould dictate you let the artist know and ask if it's ok :p I don't think you have to out n out wait for the work to come to you though. No one's seemed to mind so far.
    I don't think too many artists have minded seeing their work in color so far, so for right now you're safe I'd wager. But, you could always PM HanSolo29 [face_peace]
  21. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    You really did a great job coloring FalconFan's beautiful portraits, I especially love what you did with the Jace one.
  22. Courtney_Solo Force Ghost

star 4
  23. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    TWD: Thanks for the help. :)

And thanks aurelia and Courtney, glad you like what you're seeing.
  24. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Anytime [face_peace]
    I don't feel useful too often, so getting the chance to feel so is always fun :p (jk)
  25. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello, these are just a couple of the COTF pieces with alternate backgrounds:

Leto with orange to match his lightsaber:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/letodurroncotf3jeorange.jpg]

Padme with a background to pick up the shading FF did:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/padmeskywalkercotf4mugreen.jpg]

And now I'm off to work on some new things... :)
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.