main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fatty's Colorings -- The Manifestation of a Crayola Addiction -- 2/21 Jaina/Jag Update

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BigFatty, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hee!! Pretty-pretty-pretty! It's great how many new Leia pieces we're suddenly seeing, thanks to her being in the challenge! It's also great to see both the pencil drawing and the finished painting--it's a nice glimpse into your process!

I love this view of Leia--that sort of minute glimpse we get at this moment into the secret emotional life of a Rebel Princess. You've definitely captured that pensive expression here, and the lighting and shadowing are wonderful. I think, as far as the likeness goes, her eyes may be just a touch large here (which is an easy mistake to make with her face--it's one I make every single time I try to draw her... [face_plain])--the irises, compared to the other features, seem quite large. It's actually a wonderful draw, however, into the emotion of the piece--likeness aside, it pulls us into those pensive eyes, and conveys her feelings to us in a very direct way... I think that's the real beauty in this painting: the depth of the emotion (and I've mentioned before how very much I love that aspect in any artwork!). A beautiful job (and it's great to see you experimenting with deeper shadows, too--it really adds a lot, doesn't it? ;) )!

FF

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Way awesome colored pic of Leia!

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Deb: Thank you very much. I knew her eyes were going to be a little too big, but I think I was ok with that, wanting to make her look more vulnerable and fragile and all that. And yes, I was thinking about you and your shadow tips the whole time.

SilSolo: Thank you

4. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Coloring of HanSolo29's latest picture, "Expecting":

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/han-leia-illo-color.jpg]

5. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Very nice work, BigFatty!!

AG88

6. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    =D= Great jobs on all the pieces, I really liked Mara with the hair and all. Glad to see art changed your mind about Kyp:p I kinda like him as a wild card or cannon in whatever books his in. And your Leia looks really good. Also, so as to fit it all in, your coloring of expecting is really good as well, I really like all of the shadowing detail.

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    How pretty! Using all the soft "baby-type" colors was an inspired choice, BF! It gives the entire piece a wonderful, soft warmth, especially with the scene we see--beautiful! =D=

FF

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As I mentioned in the other thread, this really turned out nice and surpasses my attempt at it. The paler colors really punch it up a few notches. Nice job! :)

9. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Very warm moment.[face_love]

10. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    AG88: Thank you :)

Mitth: Thanks for catching up and replying.

Deb: I can't take credit for the colors, I was going off of what HS29 had put into her completed work. So any color praise goes to her.

HS29: I'm glad you like it. I tried to stay close to the color scheme you used. The colors tend to come out lighter due to the technique I use in PS.

NLSkywalker: Thank you

11. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    awww that is so warm.

12. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Shocking, I know...

a coloring of Deb's latest piece of gorgeous art:

Jysella Horn

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/JysellaHornJediKnightColor.jpg]

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow...

=D=

That looks....just beautiful, Sara!! I am so loving your increasing bravery with shadowing, using the darker skintones for the shading--it's creating a whole new level of depth in your work that's wonderful to see. Brava!! Please drop Handmaiden_Azul a note and give her a link to this--since this was for a fan fiction, she would most probably prefer to have your colored version! Beautiful!

FF

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    And why didn't I spot this until now? Anyhow, I'm taking this to the fanclub, too.

15. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Deb: Thank you very much. Photoshop makes doing all the shading a breeze, so I feel credit has to go to it and yourself for mapping out the shadows. I haven't PMed Handmaiden yet, but will do so as soon as I finish comments.

SilSolo: "Taking" art is not the way to go. You need to ask if it is okay first.

16. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    I know the rule for fanfic is that you don't need to do spoiler tags for books after the one month mark of their release. But just i case, if you don't want spoilers for Tempest then go to a different webpage right now.

Last chance...

OK. The beloved Jagged Fel has returned to canon as a man on a mission to take down Alema Rar as penance for the damage he allowed to happen by releasing Lowbacca. He's now sporting a beard and longer hair, but who cares since the authors and editors are finally getting his hair and eye color correct again. So this is my interpretation of him standing in the shadows of a seedy bar (well, as seedy as one can get with Hapans) tracking his bounty.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/jag.png]

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Squee!! I was really hoping someone would do this illo!!

~~hugs BF~~
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

This looks so awesome: I love the dark, dark shadowing here--it really adds to the mystery, which is exactly what we're getting with Jag in this book! Great job with the beard and hair...so very different from our "spit-and-polish" Colonel Fel! :D :) Wonderful (and I'm going to be anxiously awaiting the "installment" that goes with this "holo!" :p )!

FF

18. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    *peers* AWWW come ON!! what a CLIFF HANGER that pictures is!!!!!! :D

Beautiful dark shading & I love how you can only see one eye, coming into the light, like he's peering into another room. OOOOH cool!!!

19. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Deb: I'm glad you like him. :)

Nidrail: I didn't know you could turn a picture into a cliff hanger, but good to know. Thanks for stopping in and glad you liked the art.

This is yet another of Deb's colorings done with a new trick I picked up for making lj icons.

Grand Master Skywalker:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/LukeSkywalkerLOTFcolor.jpg]

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooooo! =D=

This is beautiful, Sara! The green light in the b/g really sets off the face and robes--beautiful choice there! I'm assuming that the "soft-focus" effect is for sharpening the image in icon size...am I right...? The coloring is wonderful, and your preservation of the original shading--while still saturating the colors--is just great! I really, really like this one! =D=

Lovely!!

FF

21. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Deb: I'm glad you like him. The soft glow effect was actually something I learned through tutorials on making icons for livejournal. I actually did submit a bunch of fanart icons for voting, and I'll let you know what happens. Sadly fanart icons aren't too popular with the votes, but hopefully that will change.

Yes, another FF coloring:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/PrideJoy_Allanacopy.jpg]

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Once again, outstanding job of coloring! =D= That red hair really gives her a much more "impish" look, I think--coupled with that little grin...a terror, you say? LOL! [face_laugh] I love that two-tone effect in the costuming--very nice--and the entire thing stands away from the darker b/g so well. Lovely! =D=

FF

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    These are just wonderful, BigFatty. The Jysella one is super, and the Jag man-of-mystery one is especially appealing, but I like them all. :)

24. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Deb: Thank you very much. I was worried about the color of the background, but I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tahi: Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm glad you like the art.

Latest addition--Mr. & Mrs. Wedge Antilles:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/WedgeIella-1color.jpg]

25. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    you do such a good job coloring pictures. I really like Allana. she is so cute. Wedge and Illa are very good to. I really like the shadowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.