main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fatty's Colorings -- The Manifestation of a Crayola Addiction -- 2/21 Jaina/Jag Update

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BigFatty, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Thank you, TOJP.

This is a piece I drew out last night and colored this morning. As you can probably guess, it's for my fic. The Family Album. I keep thinking that since I've colored so many of FF's pieces that I can pick p a pencil and be able to draw like her. Hasn't happened yet. But I do feel that this is the easiest and quickest I was able to get a handle on the facial proportions and placement. I think anyway. I don't like the background since it looks totally fake. Well, I could go on and on about stuff I don't like, but whatever.

Anyway, here's Gavin being a buckethead:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/buckethead.jpg]

Thanks to one of my daycare kids for being my inspiration.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Awww!! I love this! "Buckethead!" LOL--I have a pic of my Dad, being grampa, doing this very thing! [face_laugh] How cute! And you have a much better command of drawing faces and figures than you give yourself credit for, my dear (and I'm pretty sure you didn't get it from me! lol!)--I love the expression, sort of a soft "oh" of the lips, and the wide eyes. So cute! And naughty me--I didn't realize I hadn't been in here to comment on Wedge/Iella--which I still love, btw! Beautiful job with that one, as well!

Now I can't wait for the FA chapter this "holo" will go with--it's going to be wonderful, I'm sure! :D

FF

3. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Seems that I have missed some of your awesome artworks=D= I like the color you choose. Besides, you really do well in shadings!

4. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Awwwwe. So cute! very well done.

5. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    FF: Thanks. I did feel better about this face, and yes part of the credit is due to you. Coloring many of your pictures has helped my sense of where things are supposed to go. I'm not master of it, but I do feel like things are improving.

NLSkywalker: Thank you so much, and welcome to the thread.

TOJP: Thanks.

I swear I'll get an update in here sometime soon. Life is a little busy with school, and my new photoshop obsession is to make icons for livejournal. But I guess any creativity is good creativity right? I did get myself a copy of the You Can Draw Star Wars book. I planned on drawing for at least a couple of hours during Spring Break, but the week is almost done and the chances of that happening are looking smaller and smaller. I'll stop making excuses now and let anyone reading this continue on about their way.

6. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Using FF's latest production of the OC Naie from one of Handmaiden_Rabe's stories, I attempted a new way to color a pictures with photoshop. Not sure how I feel about it, so feedback is especially welcome:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/kaieneriaao0color.jpg]

7. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow! I love how the brilliant color of the background brings out the earthy colors in her clothes. it also helps the red in the rope and on the belt stand out too. very well done!=D=

8. Handmaiden_Rabe

Handmaiden_Rabe Jedi Master star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    Another coloring! :D I love the blues you used for the background... and there's something about her eyes that I just adore.

Oh, and her name is Kaie Neria, not Naie. Though that is an interesting name... [face_thinking]

9. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Oops, so sorry. I'll go change her name right now.

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I agree with the comments so far, BF--Kaie looks wonderful! The blue for the b/g looks great, and offers a lovely counterpoint to the touches of red in her costume. Love the way you did her boots, too--I'm really diggin' 'em, for some reason! :p Very nice work!

FF

11. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    TOJP: Thank you very much.

Handmaiden: First, once again sorry for messing up the name. I know how hard it is to come up with fresh names (at least for me) and to have them get screwed up is not cool. On the other hand, I'm really glad you liked the coloring and especially that you liked the detail I gave to the eyes. :) ;)

FF: Thank you for your comments. I still don't know how I feel about this technique. I'll have to try it a couple of more times and see what happens.

12. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    I was going to try the new technique with FF's new portrait of Ben, but it wasn't working with the red hair so I went back to my original style. And thank goodness because I love the way it turned out.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/BenSkywalkerLOTFcolor.jpg]

13. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Woah! :eek: And I'm glad you did it as well!
    He looks awesome! Can I keep him? [face_praying] [face_batting] :D

I esp love how you've colored his clothes. And the gloves are cool! =P~ I want gloves like that! [face_shhh]

=D= =D= =D=

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    This is soooo beautiful, Sara! =D= I love the monochrome palette you used on his clothing--it's perfect for the mood--and the teal colors for the background are gorgeous against that red hair. Just beautiful--none of the emotional impact was sacrificed here--it's a fabulous job! And I hope you get good grades on your papers! ;) :D Thank you again!!

FF

15. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Chilla: Haha, thanks so much. I'm glad you like him enough to want to keep him. ;)

Deb: Thanks so much. I went with the monochrome palette because of his work with the GAG. And I don't know if there are teal colors on Ziost, but it's what I thought would look best.

Minela requested that I color the picture of her OC with Vader that FF drew. I did it with my new (on the left) and old (on the right) technique. You can tell me which one you like better and why.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/Naimah_Vadercopy1.jpg] [image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/Naimah_Vader2.jpg]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    AAACK!! I can't choose!! :_| The "new technique" picks up a lot more detail on Vader's armor, thus defining him well, but the "old technique" is so soft and lovely on Naimah's face... I think I'd have to choose the "new technique" piece, because the sharpness lends itself to the mood of the piece a bit more (...though I do love the way Naimah's face looks in the "old technique" piece...)... I'm sure Minela will be delighted with both (and will probably have trouble making the choice herself! ;) ). On the detail side, I love how you handled the torn wiring in Vader's arm, and the colors on his chestplate; I think, too, that you made a substantial improvement in the look of his helmet/mask--giving it more depth and volume--great job; the lightsaber really looks like his, too. Beautiful work on both of these, BF--just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to complete something like this...? They look like a lot of work... Most excellent! =D=

FF

17. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Don't worry, Deb, I couldn't really decide either. They both have their own strength and weaknesses. The "old" one looks so soft because I have an obsession with using the Gaussian Blur effect on almost everything I Photoshop. I'm trying to cut back on it, but I love it too much.

As for how long, the way the different techniques work, I can really do them both at the same time. One layer is the color itself and the other layer is the original drawing to serve for definition because without it, it would just be blobs of color in the shape of the objects in the picture. It took me from the beginning of half time till just about when the game ended (Buckeyes vs. Georgetown--and my Bucks won!) to do them both. So, a little over an hour? Around there. The "old" one took a little longer because I added in layers with shadows and highlights. But really Photoshop does a lot of work for me and makes it look like it takes a while to do a coloring.

18. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    I like the on on the Left better. the hight lighting give the picture more depth. the backround on the right looks too dark. you can also see her tears better in the picture on the left. but well done on both.

19. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks, TOJP.

Used latest portrait done by the lovely FalconFan to procrastinate my paper writing duties of the day. This one is done by my new way of coloring in photoshop.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/hanlosscolor1.jpg]

I also did my original technique of coloring, but don't like it as much. It's over here.

20. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Simply Masterful! All of these pieces are really good, I really enjoy your coloring and I gotta agree that deciding between the two is dificult.

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Absolutely gorgeous, BF!! =D==D= I agree with you on this one--the newer technique fits the drawing better--you're able to retain more of the shading (and since my contrasts aren't as good in this one, they tended to fade quite a bit in the original technique piece...), and thus a bit more of the atmosphere. Good work, too, with all that detaily-stuff in the b/g! Must've taken a long time to paint in all those panels... :D Great, great job--and BIG hugs to you! [:D]

FF

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent job on the colored version, BigFatty! The new method you're using really gives new life to all of these. The color and the tones FF laid down underneath come together beautifully! Keep up the wonderful work! =D=

23. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Mitth: Thank you.

Deb: The panels did take a long time, but not nearly as long as it took to draw them. Well done. And I like the newer one better, even if it did reverse the coloring I wanted his hair to have.

HS29: Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like the piece.

TOJP requested that I color her picture of Lady Githany, and here's the finished project:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/Lady_Githany_by_JediSeeker1color.jpg]

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Those are nice and well done loved the Vader pictures

25. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I love your new coloring technique. It preserves the texture and lines of the original much better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.