main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite and/or least favorite species in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jul 21, 2014.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    favorite: Jawas

least favorite: Muuns

2. AntilllesRedTwo

AntilllesRedTwo Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2013
    Favorites:
    Ortolans: They're basically cute little blue elephant-people, which is cool because I like elephants.
    Mon Cala: Their design and underwater nature is pretty cool.
    Skakoans: I like how mysterious and robotic they are and how they've only been seen unmasked once.

These ones were just off the top of my head; I have a lot more. I don't really have any least favorite species in particular either.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Favorite: Wookiees, Twi'leks, Kel-Dors
    Least: Ewoks

4. goldstandard333

goldstandard333 Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2008
    Favorite: Skakoan

Least: Gungan

5. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Favorites: Twi'Leks, Jawas, Zabraks

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Favorites: Gungan, Nautolan,

Least Favorite: Human :p

7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Favorite : Wookies, Humans, Sand people
    Least : i never really cared for Hutts though i don't hate them.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Favorite: Ewoks and Mon Calamari

Least Favourite: Tusken Raiders, because they still scare the living cr4p out of me at the age of 31. Same goes for the...devil things?! Can't remember the name on the top of my head.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ewok Poet, I'm guessing you're thinking of Devaronians.

I like Duros for their classic flying saucer alien look, and for the background from the WEG sourcebooks.

Jar Jar and Boss Nass are horrible characters, but I like the other Gungans.

I have no interest in most of the freaks in Jabba's palace; the designers were trying too hard to make ugly monsters for the good guys to kill, IMO.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    I can't stand Devaronians. Twileks are quite cool. I was going to say the Dathomir-ians, but the witches aren't actually from Dathomir, are they?

11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Yup. Wouldn't want to read about them or see a feature with them in the middle of the night. Yikes.

12. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Favorites: Wookiees, Ewoks, Twi'Leks,
    Least Liked: Gungans

13. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Favorite: Wookiees

Least: Neimoidians (Seriously, how has nobody mentioned them? Even though some may hate the Gungans, at least the Gungans have honor and courage. Neimoidians are the only species that in the saga that have NO redeeming value in my eyes. They're greedy, cowardly, not badass at all, and stupid)

Sarge and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Favorite: Gran's. I don't know, they just look cool.

Least favorite: It's all good. The more cool aliens, the better.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Favorites: Rodians, Ugnaughts, Twi'Leks(dancers), Pa' Un, Ewoks, Tuskens and so many more.

Least: Don't really dislike any. They are all great creations to me.

16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Least would probably be Ugnaughts. I find it creepy when they play keepy off with Threepio's body parts.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Favorite: Wookies and Twi'Leks

Least Favorite: Ewoks & Gungans

18. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Favorite: The Yodas (or what they are actually called?). I find Yoda probably the most successful alien creation in any films. Not only was he perfect for conveying that size is not all in ESB by his actions, his brain-shaped forehead visually hints at a cerebral potential even if one is inclined to dismiss him(or his fellow Yodas) on basis of his size. Even the way his long ears emote is deeply original. Ways his ears will twitch will indicate reflection, suspicion or probing on the Force. The long-eared brain-forehead three fingered/toed clawed small sized combination is as congruent as one can get in alien making me thinks(especially that three fingers/toes per hand makes sense for a petite individual). If some insist on attributing advantages on the physical however, his claws compensate during fighting and green is ideal for camouflage.

Least favorite: Gungans. It's not so much that I find them aesthetically unpleasing(although I can't say that I find the fish/horse mixture visually appealing) but that the addition of spitting whilst shaking their heads much like gurgling babies to express approval is a tad too uncivilised to me. It downgrades them to a ridiculous level of baby behavior and thus I cannot take them seriously as a society living amongst Naboo civilians. I also dislike the fact that it was decided to make them a primitive nation, like the Tuskens on Tatooine. Whilst I didn't mind that Tuskens were represented as a primitive group with cultural tribal violence(with Hutts ruling Tatooine in lawfulness, it is pretty much expected that most groups would take on less than ideal/civilized behavior to survive. I would actually be quicker to point my fingers at Hutts & co 'leading' Tatooine into a state of disarray, every other group being a result of cultural distrust & chaotic living.)

I just thought it was a bit insulting that basically every primitive group in SW is presented in a less than flattering way. Liked the Ewoks in ROTJ just fine contrary to most people, but why not go a step further in TPM and present the Gungans as dignified AND intelligent to illustrate that no, primitive groups are not in any way inferior to colonial groups/humanoids? I am not a such fan of the 'Meesa and thisa' way of speaking, but it's something I can ignore as an attempt to invent a dialect variation. The spitting not so much.

19. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

Then again they are in the roles of our villains.

mes520 likes this.
  20. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Favorites: Wookies, Mon Calamari, Twileks

Least Favorite: Ewoks and Gungans (Have to admit though, that I loved them when I was a kid)

21. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    Favorite: Chagrian

Least Favorite: I don't really care for most of the near-humans, because I think they are uncreative and a lot of them could have easily passed for humans. Tholotians and Chalactans are a good example of this.

DBPirate likes this.
  22. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Favorite: Jawas, Kallidahin, Kaminoans, Ithorians, Kubazian.

Least favorite: Asogians, Ugnaughts, Muuns, Troig, Shistavanen.

Ultimate favorite: Rancor, bitches!

And on the eighth day God said, "Let Rancor fight Vermithrax!" And God saw that it was rad.
    [​IMG]

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  23. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    Wookies all the way! Treehouses and their ability to climb almost anything because of their claws is so cool and almost contrary to what you'd think since they're so huge!

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I really like the Ewoks; Zabrak and Twi'lek less so.

chagrian_scavenger Good point about the near humans there. Guess I'd have to name those as my least favorite. Just uncreative.

Ewok Poet and chagrian_scavenger like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think they are they give the baseline stock a lot of variety. :)