main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite/Best Dark Horse Comic Line

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Swandy, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swandy

Swandy Jedi Master

Aug 24, 2003
    I recently discovered the Star Wars comics through Dark Horse (mainly because of their iPad app) and have been reading "The Star Wars" and the "Star Wars" series that was started last year. (As you can see I am more into the Trilogy era stories.) I also purchased the Star Wars: Tales series bundle and the Star Wars:X-Wing Omnibus bundle.
    As Dark Horse is losing the Star Wars comics line, and they seem to be bundling a lot of their series at nice prices (for someone who never read them), I figured this would be a good time to purchase some others, so looking for a few recommendations.
    The one that looks the most intriguing to me is "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", and wanted reviews of it - and any other suggestions.
    Thanks. Steve

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Splorcht!"

Oh. That's not the kind of line you meant. In that case: AGENT OF THE EMPIRE.

My favorite DH line in years. Sadly only made it to two arcs before it ended -- but they're excellent tpbs.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    KOTOR is one of, if not my favourite of the series that Dark Horse have done, so I can warmly recommend that.

It is, though, set long, long before the films, but it's such an enjoyable story that I don't think that should prove a barrier as it's written to be accessible without any knowledge of any existing characters or events. But if you prefer to stick closer to the trilogy era then you could also try Agent of the Empire like Jello mentioned (like he says, it's only two arcs, but very enjoyable) or you could look into Dark Times, which has several arcs, and begins shortly after Episode 3 at the start of the period between the film trilogies.

There were also two series called Empire and then Rebellion (they changed the name, but it was essentially the same series) which was similar to the recent Star Wars series, and is an alternative look at some of Luke, Han and Leia's early adventures.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    KOTOR and Legacy volumes 1 and 2. Throw Dark Empire 1 in as well.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Republic, hands-down. Especially once it became the Clone Wars comic.

Zorrixor, Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I highly recommend KOTOR. Also worth checking are Dark Times and Legacy.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I very strongly recommend: Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi vs. Sith, Republic, Empire, Rebellion, Agent of the Empire, and Legacy (volumes I and II). I more moderately recommend: Chewbacca, Knight Errant, Dark Times, Jango Fett: Open Seasons, the Star Wars Adventures digests, and the "A Long Time Ago" collections of Marvel's original run in the seventies and eighties. And honestly there are even more than that worth getting, but that's good for a start.

If you can get your hands on them you also must get the collections of the Goodwin/Williamson newspaper strip released under the "Classic Star Wars" banner.

8. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Depends. I utterly love KOTOR, but i'm not so interested in the time period.

And Dark Times is so... dark, and the art (at least early on, I don't have the later volumes) is amazing.

spicer likes this.
  9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    You most certainly MUST read Dark Empire.
    Together with the Thrawn Trilogy, it is the most essential piece of EU.

Apart from that, I very much liked Crimson Empire and Republic.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.