main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite cut scenes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Grand_Moff_Jawa, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The only OT deleted scenes that can be seen in their entirety are all from ANH:

- Luke repairing the vaporator
    - Anchorhead scenes
    - Vader & Chief Bast (different dialogue dubbed for the Holiday Special)

There's miniscule snippets from all over the place, usually trailers - Threepio ripping the warning sign off the door in ESB, Luke & Leia's near-kiss in ESB, the sandstorm from ROTJ - plus there are glimpses of early versions of scenes, like the cantina & Jabba in Docking Bay 94.

I'm just desperately hoping that one day all the unseen material will finally get some sort of cleanup & release. There's no real reason why they shouldn't, & I'd take twenty minutes of deleted OT scenes over any new features. Personally, I found the reinstated Luke/Biggs reunion in the ANH SE more interesting than all the whizz-bang CGI they stuffed the rest of the film with.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah. The Jabba scene in SW wasn't interesting because of Jabba or (gag) Boba Fett, but because it was a "new" scene with Han Solo.

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    My $0.02:

Nix the Jabba scene in 'ANH'. It's redundant, spoils the 'reveal' of the Falcon, and features bad animation with an insurmountable obstacle, namely Jabba's tail, which in forcing Han to stomp over it renders utterly goofy any attempt to insert it back into the footage.

The OT films are note-perfect in terms of pacing and structure and absolutely should not be tampered with any further. I would very much like to examine, separately from the films, any and all additional footage, eg of the ROTJ sandstorm or the ESB Wampa attack, but I categorically reject any notion that they should be reinserted into the already beautifully structured films.

The PT is another story in my book. For the record, I love the PT but it's flawed. It could use a careful and judicious massaging of footage, extraction of some scenes/shots/lines and re-insertions of others. Among my preferred re-insertions are:

The Sith probe in TPM.

The extra scenes and sequences of the podrace. What can I say, I know I'm in the minority here but the podrace is frakkin' awesome and all addition shots are drool-inducing awesomeness in my book.

The scenes in Padme's family's house in AOTC, especially the kitchen scene with Padme turning to her mother and revealing with her facial emotions that she does, indeed, have feelings for Anakin.

The scenes of the developing Rebellion in ROTS. These are essential to understanding both Padme's character and the nature and origins of the heroic forces of the OT.

4. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Haven't we seen people having walk and-talk conversations with a hologram projected by an R2 or something? Maybe they could re-do the Jabba scene that way (with Jabba speaking via projection). Although the scene is pretty useless, I wouldn't miss it. But then, I'm still holding out foolish hope for a more subtle special edition. (hey, it happened with the third version of Close Encounters which was an attempt to strike the best balance between the previous two cuts).

I'm pretty sure the Wampa scenes were never finished due to problems with the creature. They would need some pretty serious CGI to do it right because of the hair and everything. In fact, please don't touch Empire! The most fascinating unseen material might be stuff in a supplemental section like the other version of Mace vs. Palpatine/Anakin (it seems like there's a whole "alternate second act" of that movie out there, let's see it).

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "We're putting together an organization" just doesn't do it for me. If the birth of the Alliance is downgraded to that one line, I can do without it. If done right, the scene in Palpatine's office has more potential, because it builds tension between Anakin and Padme while making clear that a Jedi of Anakin's skill would expect to be able to sense betrayal through the Force.

6. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    hey, that's pretty clever

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd love to see the cut scenes from ROTJ that aren't as well covered, haven't been seen in video form, & may or may not have been completely shot:

- Luke on Tatooine, assembling his lightsaber & communicating telepathically with Vader;
    - Vader being denied entry to see the Emperor by the Royal guards, then choking Jerjerrod as a threat.

By all indications, these scenes were shot in some form, but it's unknown just how much. Stills from the Vader scene are around:

[image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/tb_1200.jpg]

[image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/tb_1199.jpg]

Music was composed for the Luke scene, so some sort of completed version must have been included in a rough cut at least. Anthony Daniels also remembers shooting some of it.

8. starwarsfanrol

starwarsfanrol Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2009
    I like the one ANH were luke goes down to the toshe station and see biggs, camie, and tank

9. Kaul

Kaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    The ROTJ deleted scenes seem the most interesting of the entire saga's catalog to me. There's one more scene I think was filmed -- it involved Luke trying to Force Jump his way out of the Rancor's pit (a la ESB), but 2 Jawas poke or jab his fingers as he holds on to the grate and he falls down again.

And according to starwarz.com, Crix Madine was supposed to have a pretty big part in the film--but a lot of it ended up being cut.

10. MasterJane423

MasterJane423 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2009
    I couldn't agree more. Not only does it help with character developement, but it also makes the love story better.

11. Kaul

Kaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    While I was browsing Youtube today, I found this very interesting (and short!) Mark Hamill interview, where he mentions that the supposed "cut" scene in ROTJ when Luke constructs his lightsaber was never, in fact, filmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XczClAxhCEM

I think there are storyboards for this scene though, and as Darth_Nub mentioned, music was recorded.

12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Since music WAS composed for a scene after Vader's arrival to the Death Star, there had to be a scene filmedm(involving Luke and the droids, according to the music). Even more, if I'm not mistaken, that's the only deleted scene from the whole saga for which music was composed, so it wasn't cut from the movie until pretty late in post production.

However, I don't think that Luke actually constructed his new lightsaber in that scene. He just put it into Artoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.