main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite death scene?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ewoksimon, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    "Death is a natural part of life," and so it is an ever present element of the Star Wars films, and with the recent release of Rogue One, a bunch of new options have been put on the table.

Whose death is your favorite in Star Wars?

For me, it's ultimately Anakin Skywalker's, whose self sacrifice completes his character arc beautifully, closing with, "You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister you were right."

If there's a close second, it might be a scene that isn't actually a death at all, but still carries an immense emotional impact: Han freezing in carbonite.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I agree. Anakin's. It's horribly sad but really good.

Darkslayer and Snax Rebo like this.
  3. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Very close to the same time but I'm gonna say Emperor Palpatine's death. Vader throwing him off was epic.

Mace Windu's death is 2nd for me. Changed the whole tone of the movie.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Obi-Wan's. He's there, dueling, then he sees Luke, smirks at Vader before sacrificing himself. Takes Vader and everybody in the audience off guard when his body simply disappears just as Vader's blade is about to bisect it.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Gamorrean Guard gets his head bitten off by the Rancor.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Favourite? I'm not sure how to answer that...so I'll go with "most emotional" and "coolest" :cool:

Most emotional for me? Probably Yoda.
    Coolest? Jango Fett - Mace Windu may have produced the coolest SW moment ever!

Honourable mention - Baze!

Darkslayer and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Vader. From '77 to '83 I couldn't wait to see him die a horrible death. And when it finally happened, I was so sad.

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Shmi and Padme. They're just so tragic!:_|

CoolyFett and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Emotional: Jyn & Cassian
    Coolest: Jango
    Disappointing: Boba
    Heroic: Chirrut & Baze
    Despressing: Bodhi
    Undeserving: Oola
    Deserving: Jabba
    Surprising: Biggs
    Satisfying: Palpatine
    Ironic: Krennic
    Laughable: Ziro

10. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I always loved Obi-Wan :ben: and Yoda's:yoda: death when they become one with the force or what not and disappear.

Also Qui-Gun Jinn's death scene. :qui:

11. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Yoda. Always tears me up.

Avnar likes this.
  12. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Fives. Can't stop the tears whenever i watch that episode. TCW made me appreciate the clones so much.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Mr. Forest, I'm going to copy your ranking idea abit, but with some personal opinion changes:

Emotional: Darth Vader
    Coolest: Jango
    Disappointing: Boba
    Heroic: Chirrut & Baze
    Depressing: Obi-Wan
    Undeserving: Han Solo
    Deserving: Jabba
    Ironic: Padme
    Surprising: Qui-Gon
    Satisfying: Palpatine
    Laughable: Dooku

Darth Dnej and Avnar like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, but it was too late to edit...

Above is my list for those descriptions on character deaths, but I forgot to mention my #1 favorite character death scene is:

Yoda!

IMO Frank Oz should have won an Oscar for his performance of Yoda in ROTJ. But, you know, Academy...puppets or CG characters...blah blah blah...

Avnar likes this.
  15. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Not Padme's one in ROTS...

I agree with you. Vader/Anakin's death in ROTJ is the most emotional.

16. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    TESB

17. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, yes-I guess for his performance in ESB too, now that you mention it....

18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Vader/Anakin hands down.

It's bittersweet for me too -- somewhat sad, somewhat happy. He's dying, and Luke is losing his father, but Anakin has been redeemed, he regains the respect of his son, and he's at peace with himself.

Actually I'm surprised that there's so much variety in the answers. I thought everyone would answer that, but it's cool that appreciate different aspects of the films.

Some runners up:

--Qui-Gon's death is very powerful. Neeson and McGregor give wonderful performances.
    --Schmi's death is very sad. (She really sells it too. Her head flops backwards big time.)
    --Yoda's death is very touching considering you know he's going to pop up as a Force ghost an hour later.
    --Palpatine's death is most definitely the most satisfying for me. He really has it coming.
    --Jyn and Cassian's deaths are the most surprising/daring. Hollywood films typically don't kill off all the heroes.
    --And I thought Boba was supposed to have survived via retcon, so I guess that one doesn't even count!:p

19. Abherrant Form

Abherrant Form Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2017
    Gotta say Vader's death. In the moments leading up to Vader's decision to toss Sidious over, I've always tried to imagine what was going through his head. Watching Sidious fry Luke, the scene must have brought several images to his head: Padme's death (directly by his own hand, he believed), Mace's cry of betrayal and disbelief before getting blasted out the window, his killing of the younglings (who he had probably interacted with and who likely looked up to him greatly), Obi-Wan's sorrowful words after their duel. All these things running through his head in that moment, overwhelming the anger and hate that had dominated him for so long. "No more!" I imagine him screaming in his mind. You (henceforth, not just Sidious the man, but Sidious the representation of the Darkside) turned me against my friends, made me kill them, or had them killed. You destroyed what I was, what my mother had died believing I was. Because of you, I killed the woman I loved. You took her from me. You took everything from me. He probably looked at Sidious using the darkside against Luke, and saw himself using the darkside against Padme.

In that moment, Anakin Skywalker absolutely struck down Darth Vader. Because throughout all the years, all the war and killing and brutality, the anger and hate, no emotion had ever been as strong as his love of Padme, the pain of losing her, and how much he missed her. He probably looked at Luke (and thought of Leah) then, and for the first time, saw him (them) for what he (they) was (were): All that he had left of Padme. The only thing left. If they died, then she would truely be gone. If he let Sidious kill them, then he (Anakin), would have truely killed Padme. How feeble the power and might of Darth Vader must have been then, against the utter, tidal resurgence of Anakin's love.

Think: Palpatine was insanely powerful in the force. Like, stupid powerful. Surely he would have used his array of powers to stop Anakin from throwing him over. He could have used telekinesis to fling vader aside, or bend the railings to knock Anakin back. I mean sheesh, he even shattered Mace Windu's forcewall, so hard that he blasted him (at least) fifty to a hundred feet straight backwards. He had practically overpowered Yoda; Note: Yoda wasn't able to overpower Sidious, we could see it in his eyes, the way he cringed. Yoda had to create a blast between them, to seperate them, and then he retreated. People, Yoda admitted defeat to Organa later. I would imagine, that in the moment when Anakin had him lifted into the air, walking towards the ledge, Sidious would abso-freakin-lutely unleash the full extent of his power. Anakin should have exploded; after all, his connection with the force had been severely diminished for years, his forcewall should have disintegrated, followed by his suit and body. But it didn't, or at least, it held long enough for him to toss Sidious over. If Vader had been able to stand up against Sidious all along, he would have. It was Anakin who was able to do that. Vader had never been stronger than that kid from Tatooine who had fallen in love with an angel. (getting all squishy on all yal, forgive me)

That is my all time favorite SW death: Anakin killing Vader.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would say Mace but that scene makes me want to cry (in a sad way).

I'll say Anakin, since his scene makes me want to cry too, but in a happy way.

Savage's death in TCW is pretty sad as well. Pre Viszla also got a great warrior's death, same with Jango Fett.

I guess I can't really have a "favorite" death scene. But the first two I mentioned are the most well done, IMO.

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Anakin's death has all but been ruined of it's drama by the revisions. The NOOOO kills it for me. But yes in it's undiluted form it is the most effective.

Yoda's death does a lot for Luke as a character. It's the moment where he is alone and has to grow up completely from being a boy student to confronting his destiny

22. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    Wish I could from this

23. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Krennic? He got directly shot by the Death Star. Which was HIS achievement! Haha

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Favorite emotional death: Darth Vader. Cry every time.
    Favorite dramatic death: Obi-Wan. 'Nuff said.
    Favorite unintentionally(?) funny death: General Grievous. Obi-Wan has this huge, awesome chase and lightsaber battle with Grievous, and then, after all that, he grabs a blaster and just straight up shoots him.

Sarge likes this.
  25. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Jango's death seems very cool to watch...is that just me? Feels weird saying it. Sometimes I just look it up on YouTube so I can see Mace kick some butt. And I'm going to agree with MidKnighT. Mace's death is really a turning point in the film and the saga as a whole. Yoda's reaction afterwards is perfectly timed as well.

Emotion wise, I'm going to say Qui-Gon. I really like his character--Obi-Wan's "NO!" and the music just complete that moment.

But I should note that I think all of the deaths in all of the films are done wonderfully (excluding Boba. If he died, that is), even (and especially) all the ones done in quick succession in Rogue.