main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Favorite Death Star attack...ANH or ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Jun 9, 2014.

?

Favorite Death Star attack...ANH or ROTJ?

1. ANH (Death Star)

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. ROTJ (Death Star II)

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    While I love them both I voted for ANH slightly above because it is so tense and comes down tot he last second. Obi-Wan telling Luke to use the force instead of his computer, and Luke getting his ass saved by Han at the last second while Vader is closing in. Luke MAKING the shot! This plus the score....is just the most amazing moment in all the OT I think.

ROTJ had a lot going on and still looked great, but I liked the trench idea better than how the Falcon kind of just flew into the core of the Death Star 2. It wasn't as creative or intense (what with all the fighters and surface cannons that could attack you in the trench....seemed more deadly).

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Man, this is hard as I love both these battles quite a bit. But I would give the edge to Death Star 2. Mainly because I love how they managed to make a massive battle with tons of detail with just models. It amazes me how they made this battle, plus while the battle is going on, the Throne Room scenes are on which is just awesome.

3. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    The Death Star Battle in ANH is great and still a classic.
    The Trench Run is really dramatic.
    However ROTJ's Death Star II battle is much more instense and grander IMO.
    It intercuts with the Duel of the Destiny and the Battle of Endor which really works great.
    We get to see new Rebel and Imperial Ships.(yes I include the Tector-class Star Destroyer and the Communications ship in the Canon as well :D)
    And a rebel craft flying into an imperial machine (Hobbie Killivian creashes into
    General Veers' AT-AT)works better here.(In the novelization A-Wings destroyed the Executor with torpedos)
    Still I wish we got to see more...(B-Wings,Imperial Gunners,more female Pilots,Jerjerrod scenes,Sullustans and Mon Calamari in starfighters ;General Madine)
    The models in this battle are one of the best in the saga.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  4. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    That's a difficult one. In ANH, the stakes feel higher to me - there's only minutes before the Rebellion is destroyed forever. We see the Rebels killed off one after another and you're at the edge of your seat the entire time. By the end you're holding your breath and you don't even realize it.

By contrast, ROTJ is less suspenseful, but also much bigger. It's more of a visual experience than a purely emotional one - it's shorter and more fast-paced, but it captures the chaos of a battle like that.

Sarge and enigmaticjedi like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The first Star Wars (I still can't call it A New Hope)... I still geek out during the Death Star run.

AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    If we're talking about the entire battle, ROTJ wins.
    The scale of the Space Battle of Endor was simply epic! The combat was fast-paced, while still looking realistic.To save room, I'm just going to list some of the highlights: DS destroying Rebel ships, A-wing manages to dodge all turret fire to take down the Super Star Destroyer command bridge, Millenium Falcon is leading the Rebel starfighters, Tie Interceptors, Falcon outrunning the explosion.

If we're talking about just taking down the DS, ANH wins.

Once the shield generator was down, blowing up the DS didn't seem as uncertain as in ANH. Most of the fighters that infiltrated DSII made it out alive. In ANH, on the other hand, almost everyone dies trying to stop the DS. Destroying it seems impossible. This sparks one of the greatest movie moments ever. When Obi-Wan tells Luke to let go of the targeting computer to use the Force, the music shift was perfect. What a moment of faith that was! Luke just saw a veteran pilot fail even when he used the targeting computer. The DS is about to reach Yavin IV. Luke is still a newcomer to the Force. Yet, despite all of this, Luke chooses to believe that the Force will succeed where even the best available tech has failed.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I love both for different reasons - ANH is a commando raid (with spaceships), ROTJ is a naval battle of fleets. The tone is different in each for me. Though if I absolutely had to choose it would be the first Death Star, mostly for the way it caps off Luke's heroic journey thus far personally at the same time as being a great victory for the republic as whole.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    ROTJ has the most intense space battle of all saga, visually speaking.

ANH has the most intense space battle of all saga, spiritually speaking.

9. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015

I'd probably have to say A New Hope for the extreme sense of tension and claustrophobic feel of the trench run. The way Luke switches off his targeting computer and trusts in the Force is an amazing moment, and the music leading up to the Death Star's explosion is great. Plus, I love the shot of Tarkin a split second before the station blows.

10. cenzo

cenzo Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2015
    Love both. But ANH by a nose.

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    It's pretty surprising to see this poll is pretty much evenly split. But, at the same time, not as both battles each have so much to offer the viewer. I have to go with the ANH destruction of the DS, simply because it was the original and it felt like there was more at stake. It's also Luke's moment to show average, boring farm kid could suddenly become the hot shot pilot hero. I also like Han swooping in with the Falcon and sniping off a few tie's.

ROTJ, it seemed overdone and tired. However, I did like the Throne Room duel, and the whole "surprise, this has been operational the entire time!" twist. Plus... who could forget the best quote of the battle "It's a TRAP!"

DarthSheev likes this.
  12. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    ep6 is a HUGE improvement over ep4, in every aspect

darth_mccartney likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I prefer the ANH space battle. The one in ROTJ is basically perfection when it comes to the effects, but the sense of speed and action - as well as personal struggle - is much stronger in ANH.
    I've seen ANH countless times, and I still find myself holding my breath throughout the Death Star battle.
    So I love both, no doubt, but ANH takes the cake.

smoothkaz, Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Death Star battles were rather strange. In ANH there was no Star Destroyer support, was like a megalomaniac over reliance on the Death Star's armor plating, small battery of anti-spacecraft cannons and its super weapon . They did not bother sending out many Tie Fighter's either and Vader goes out there with just those few. In ROTJ, the Emperor deliberately holds back his entire legion of Star Destroyers(plus 1 command ship the Executor) which alone would've had a combined strength to wipe out the small rebel fleet just as good if not better than the precision beam Death Star that needs to recharge and takes precious minutes to do so- all of that to just try and box the Rebels in, but the Rebels always had the option to simply turn back and jump into Hyperspace which Ackbar wanted to until Lando convinced him to duke it out with the Star Destroyers and wait their only chance via Han. In that battle they just unleashed Tie Fighters from the Star Destroyers but did very little else as the Alliance fighters and ships were attacking Star Destroyers and in some instances kamikazing into them and were basically moving in close in some attempt to use the Imperial ships as cover from the Death Star or have the Death Star also destroy their own ships to destroy them. The Empire obeying the Emperor's lubricious and homicidal/suicidal command to not engage the Rebel fleet ship to ship, they took their orders to their doom like buffoons. But I suppose the Emperor was a Hitler type blundering war strategist - and this actually gave them the enemy the plans to the Death Star II along with the Endor station's location - plus his military is badly incompetent apparently outve a side effects of Sith and movie Fascist design.

15. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I like the ROTJ Death Star attack better. I love that sequence, but I've never really been able to get into ANH's Death Star attack. Maybe because I have such trouble keeping all the pilots apart.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I honestly prefer the RotJ battle more. It feels more like a battle, more large scale.

17. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I refuse to choose, this is like having to choose between one's children.

Saga Explorer, Sarge and smoothkaz like this.
  18. geniusofmozart

geniusofmozart Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2014
    Return of the Jedi.

The whole space battle above Endor is one of the best space battles I've seen, perhaps second only to the space battle in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Sacrifice of Angels". Both, incidentally, have the phrase "it's a trap" spoken during them as well. But I digress.

Perhaps it's because ANH's is more structured and the attack comes in waves, whereas in Return of the Jedi it's a bit more chaotic, which I like.

Sarge likes this.
  19. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I really find it incredibly hard to decide, but at the end of the day it has to go to ANH.
    The wonder of seeing those X(and Y)-Wings fly out together for the first time, the talking between the squadrons as the battle becomes more intense, and Vader's involvement just really put the icing on the cake.
    Simplicity was quite key to this fight. It's just the star fighters and the Death Star.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    ROTJ. ANH battle has one too many effects shots that have aged horribly to me.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    ANH - Very tense (in a good way), pilot-focused (a little different from ROTJ, but also in a good way), and that moment where Han blasts Vader's guards - YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ROTJ - Epic in every sense of the word, fantastic visuals, and the best space battle I have ever seen in a movie

So, ROTJ for me, although both are great, particularly in the visuals area

Sarge likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ANH. It's more focused, and got a much needed amount of improvement and dynamism with the Special Edition.

DarthSheev likes this.
  23. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    ANH.

ROTJ's one is pretty good too. Great scenery, more complex and with improved special effects.

But the first one definitely is more compelling and thrilling.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Difficult choice, despite them both being the same premise, (destroy a DEATH Star), they still managed to make each sufficiently different from the other.

The Star Wars battle has to carry the film solely for the last 15 minutes or so, that some going to make a battle scene so interesting and gripping for that length of time. Plus if they don't destroy then it looked like the Rebellion will be no more.

ROTJ has 3 battles going on at the same time, which is something that I think was groundbreaking at the time and set the bar for many big blockbusters that have come since, the effects and action in this DS battle are a lot better than the original. I loved the scenes in the DS superstructure as the Falcon is pursued. But I'm not so sure its as gripping as the original, which is why I think Star Wars gets the nod slightly for me.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ROTJ...I especially love the music for that one

Sarge likes this.