main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite Duel in ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Jun 4, 2005.

?

Favorite Duel in ROTS

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Obi-Wan and (mostly) Anakin vs. Dooku

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Our Heroes vs. the IG-100 Magna Guards

1.7%
  3. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous

5.0%
  4. Mace (and punks) vs. Palpatine

6.7%
  5. Yoda vs. Sidious

10.0%
  6. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin

70.0%
  7. Ki-Adi Mundi vs. Stormtoopers

6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    This was a hard choice - I actually really enjoyed all of the various duels in ROTS for many different reasons.

But The Duel was what we had been waiting for, and it did not disappoint. I know some people have wished for less inter-cutting with Yoda vs. Sidious, or more cool choreography with less close-ups, etc., but I think The Duel worked on all levels for me:

choreography
    terrain
    dialogue
    emotion
    importance

Many people have said that the TPM duel is a better "filmed" duel in terms of choreography and the "fighting" aspect, but I'm not so sure.

The first few minutes of The Duel are breathtaking - the sequences are performed so quickly they're almost blinding, and I think it's the most ferocious duel we've ever seen.

Controlled fury. I love it.

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I went with Yoda vs. Sidious.

To me, a good duel is more than just a couple of lightsabers clashing against each other 500 times a minute, it's a showdown of wit and other nontangible skills.

The Duel was intense, but I can only take so much lightsaber waving before I become bored. The only really interesting parts were at the beginning and at the end, where arguably some of the greatest dialog in the film was exchanged. It was a virtual stalemate until the very end when Obi-Wan jumps onto the bank and takes advantage of Anakin's mistake.

Yoda and Sidious was much more interesting. It wasn't as dragged out IMHO, and we get to see Sidious catching Yoda off-guard with Force lightning, and Yoda returning the favor with a wicked push. Then once in the Senate chamber Sidious tosses around the Senate pods like Frisbees. I kinda found it humorous how Sidious was cackling after he thought Yoda fell to his death, but then was flailing about, desperately hanging on to his own pod. :D

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Obi-Wan vs. Grievous.

None of them as good as the Kenobi/Maul duel I felt, but I enjoyed these two.

5. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin vs. Obi-Wan for sure. I agree almost whole-hearted with Garth. It could have been even better had it been intercut less with Yoda vs. Sidious.

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan has so much emotion. While it is a huge battle, with the future and destiny of the entire galaxy at stake, it is also so personal. Two views, two sides of the Force, but most importantly maybe, two friends against one another.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I gotta agree with JGM here. While the location was fantastic, the actual choreography of THE duel was not that spectacular. Plus I found it uncomfortable to watch, knowing what was going to eventually happen and all.

Yoda vs Sidious was just a whole lot of fun.

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'm going with Obi-Wan vs. Anakin.

I don't mind the choreography of it, and its better than Yoda v Sidious because thats boring. Force power. Break. Yoda jumps around 300 times and hits once. Break. More Force stuff. Break. Inexplicably now they're both 300 metres away from where we left them. Break. More Force Powers. Break. More powers. End.

Just boring.

Whereas in the Obi-Wan v Anakin one, there are emotions, the choreography is brilliant, its well timed, goes superbly with the (CGI) background and JW's score, and really is in a class of its own.

The Grievous duel I hated. Spinny crap, two hands cut off, falls down hole, drops sabres, over.

The Mace v Sidious one was better, because of the tensions. Sure, Agen Kolar, Saesae Tiin and Kit Fisto may have been admiring the arwork and then dying, but Mace was good, and Palps also. And the emotion in that one as well.

Anakin vs. Dooku was okay, much better than the Anakin/Dooku duel in AotC, but still not a patch on Obi-Wan vs. Anakin.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've gotta go with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan because

1.It's the duel I've wanted to see ever since I can remember

2. It combines the great emotion of the OT duels with the flashyness of the PT duels.

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I am surprised that so many people haven't voted for Yoda vs. Sidious. In my opinion, their duel stole the show! While the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel was fast paced and intense, I thought that it got a little too showy towards the end. I preferred the speed and choreography of their sequence towards the beginning of their fight.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

10. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Definitely Obi-Wan vs Anakin. I had been looking forward to, yet at the same time dreaded, this duel for the longest time. It didn't disappoint and the explanation for Anakin's injuries were much better than I had imagined. I'd always thought he simply fell into the lava.

11. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. It was beyond what I was expecting.

12. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    I have to go with Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. The Duel. Even though it was the first Star Wars action sequence I didn't want to happen (I actually had to stop myself from screaming at them to stop fighting, and I never get those impulses), it was superbly put together. I could even see bits and pieces of the way Obi-Wan would fight in ANH (the same holds true of all Kenobi's fights, really).

13. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Gotta go with Obi-wan vs. Anakin for the emotional content, but I loved them all.

14. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Obi-Wan vs. Anakin

15. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Anakin vs. Obiwan. That was by far the best duel in all of the Star Wars movies, IMO.

16. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Someone here really hates poor old Ki-Adi. [face_laugh]

If we're going to include stormtrooper "duels", then I'd vote for the group that lights up Aayla...and then continues to advance and fire on her even after she's down. To bad the OT troopers weren't that efficient. ;)

17. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Kenobi & Skywalker

18. SHADOW_KILL

SHADOW_KILL Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2001
    While the Obi Wan vs. Anakin duel wasn't as spectacular as the Maul vs. Qui Gon/Obi Wan fight choreography-wise, it had emotion. The emotion is what made it so great. It's the emotion that makes it the best fight saber fight in the whole saga.

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I don't get it.

The Duel is faster than the fastest parts of the TPM duel.

When it starts, I was blown away, just as I was blown away when Obi-Wan goes on the offensive after Qui-Gon's death.

Are we talking about the choreography or the direction here?

20. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    You can SEE the TPM duel much better. Crisp lighting and camera angles a little more steady and further back.

Not saying The Duel isn't great, just that the close in action in ROTS is sometimes tough to follow.

21. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I think this discussion opens an important question. Should Lucas have made the TPM duel "smaller"? Was it too big to ever be surpassed?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the TPM duel. Sure it's cool to watch, but doesn't have the emotional weight, which is my it probably is my least favourite amongs the big lightsaber clashes in the saga. (Note: I do not include smaller lighsaber battles in this, such as Maul vs. Qui-Gon on Tatooine or Anakin vs. Dooku in ROTS.)

22. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Ani vs Obi, how could it be anything else?

23. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi, hands down. Not only due the amazing setting Lord Lucas placed them in, but the moves and movements were incredible. I loved the other saber battles too, though.

Isurus the White

24. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Obi-Wan vs. Anakin.

[image=http://data.over-blog.com/lib/0/1/5510/pics/ObiAniDuel.jpg]

I thought about yoda vs sid, as it was the battle for the galaxy, in the very heart of the galaxy.

But we are talking about the heart of the saga. Two great friends battling to the death. We are talking about the chosen one, losing in a battle of force power. We are talking about two former friends battling in hell. Vader believing Obi-wan has turned against him. When Obi truely wants to save him, and is the conflicted warrior.

25. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Where is that shot from? It is very cool, but doesn't look like something from the movie. The background doesn't look much like Mustafar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.