main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite duel in the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Poor Greedo, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm a big fan of Obi Wan and Dooku at the end of AOTC. I also loved the Mace/Palpatine fight.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Tollhouse

Tollhouse Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2013
    I liked the Mace and Palpatine fight also. It had so much style to it. As for my favorite, I would say Anakin vs Obi-wan, but I really like Anakin vs Dooku in ep 3. That duel just had so much flow to it, despite how brief it was. Like right after they clash and Dooku speaks to Anakin about how he doesn't use his hate and anger, there is some amazing swordsmanship going on there. You see a bit of that in Anakin's duel with Obi-wan but it's not quite the same, I think.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Obi-Wan vs. Maul, TPM. Really, really intense after Qui-Gon goes down. I'd have to echo Tollhouse in that I also like Dooku vs. Anakin from ROTS. Similar circumstances in both fights, masters out of the picture and the junior taps the Dark Side to execute a Sith. Until a cartoon series brings back one of them.

4. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Luke v.s. Vader in ESB. While it lacked the flashy sword play, I love how it shows Luke as finally using his Jedi skills he was learning for the majority of the movie,and the reveal at the end of that fight made this duel the most memorable moment of the saga.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul in TPM, although Luke vs Vader in RotJ comes as a close second.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and kainee like this.
  6. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    The duel at the end of TPM. Probably has one of my favorite musical themes of any Star Wars scene, and the build up to it is just awesome. I mean, you get a very small taste of Maul's fighting skills when they encounter him on Tatooine, but throughout the whole movie you're basically just waiting to see this nasty Sith warrior take on the Jedi. Just epic. If I had to choose another, I'd probably pick Luke vs. Vader in ESB.

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Oooh this is a tough one. I'll have to do a top five:

1.) Luke vs. Vader in Return of the Jedi
    2.) Luke vs. Vader in The Empire Strikes Back
    3.) Mace Windu vs. Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith
    4.) Obi-Wan vs. Vader in A New Hope
    5.) Obi-Wan vs. Anakin in Revenge of the Sith

The only one that may have you scratching your head is the Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight in A New Hope. While this isn't the best choreographed fight, it seems like one of the most natural ones. Would you really expect two old men to be able to fight and fight like they did in Revenge of the Sith or Attack of the Clones. No, that would be ridiculous. It also has emotion which I feel is lacking from some of the duels from the Prequels.

Samuel Vimes and Sarge like this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1. Luke vs. Vader in The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Luke vs. Vader in Return of the Jedi
    3. Obi-Wan vs. Vader in A New Hope
    4. Yoda vs. Sidious in Revenge of the Sith
    5. Obi-Wan vs. Vader in Revenge of the Sith

9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    A three-way tie for the top duel:

Obi-Wan vs. Vader ROTS
    Yoda vs. Palpatine ROTS
    Vader vs. Luke TESB

Then..

4) Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon
    5) Vader vs. Luke ROTJ
    6) Anakin vs. Dooku

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan FTW

11. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013
    Maul vs ObiWan and Quigon

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda Vs. Sidious, such an amazing scene. I love it. Could've been longer though.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader duels. ESB if I had to pick.
    "The Force is with you, young Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet."
    All 3 locations, The lighting of each. The first 2 strikes and Vader twirling his saber,
    All of Vader's quotes in the first segment actually, You have control of you fear, now release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me." "Impressive, most impressive."
    Vader pawning Luke with all of the force-thrown boxes in the 2nd room,
    Vader going beserk in the 3rd area,
    The sparks from the destroyed

14. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I love the weight that Vaders words carry in his scenes.

"Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy as father and son"
    "When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master."

Love it

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the TESB duel, totally. Vader's athleticism and grace carry the duel, but the underlying message that this is a father teaching his son how to duel (given that Luke's presumably never duelled anybody before) is pretty awesome.

16. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Obi-Wan vs. Vader at the end of RotS. The one we all wanted to see, and it delivered.

17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Best: Maul VS. Kenobi, right after Jinn bites it.

Worst: Any lightsaber fight with an old fart in it.... except for Yoda VS Dooku, that one's pretty cool.

18. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Funny because I like this duel because of the prequels out of all the six films... its bottom of the list of great saber duels (I don't know whether to blame Prowse in capabilities to use a lightsabre but whatever) but watching it from 1-6 and seeing the history we see between the two, the build up is sweet. I disagree with the prequels fight not having emotion in the duels that's of course in my opinion :). I love the psychology between Anakin and Dooku in ROTS of course a parallel to ROTJ and given the history of what happened beforehand. Obi Wan and Vader in ROTS was just an all out war and the tempo and near aggression we see from Obi wan against Darth Maul was intense. That said my all time favourite duel is Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, the final duel theme really complements the sheer raw emotion and captures all of the ups, the downs and hope from the every single moment in the saga. Every time I watch the part where Luke yells no, I'm taking back to Anakin's betrayal, Padme's death, Leia's revelation, order 66, the rise of the empire, the destruction of the death star, the blockade, Bespin, final battle between the rebels and imperials you name it. It ain't as good as the duel in ESB or the prequels but on emotional level it easily sweeps the rest of the duels away.

19. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I gotta go also with Luke vs Vader in ESB followed by the ROTJ duel. From the prequels the best is Qui-Gon Obi-Wan vs Maul. The AOTC is bad, the obi-wan vs Anakin is great the first part but when they starting dueling over the ropes and over the lava is just way over the top and overlong.

20. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    I have had discussions with people who compete in both European style fencing and Kendo and they all seem to agree that the Obi-Wan and Vader fight from Episode IV is actually the one that resembles a real swordfight then compared to the other ones. I like the TPM duel the best followed by ESB. The ROTS duel is good but there are a few moves in it such as when they stand in front of each other and twirl there weapons with out hitting each others weapon or anything else that just look ridiculous to me. Also I enjoyed some of the fight scenes in The Clone Wars movie and cartoon series.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (TPM)
    2. Obi-Wan vs Anakin (ROTS)
    3. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Count Dooku (ROTS)
    4. Mace & Jedi vs Palpatine (ROTS)
    5. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Count Dooku (AOTC)
    6. Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul (TPM)
    7. Yoda vs Dooku (AOTC)
    8. Yoda vs Palpatine (ROTS)
    9. Obi-Wan vs Greavous (ROTS)
    10. Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)
    11. Luke vs Vader (TESB)
    12. Obi-Wan vs Vader (ANH) - (though Adywan's cut of this one with the "Battle of the Heroes" theme playing would move this one up to 10th place)

22. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm a big fan of Obi Wan and Dooku at the end of AOTC. I also loved the Mace/Palpatine fight.
    -----------------------

ditto

those are my favourites

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    You have got to be kidding me.

HevyDevy, Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    1. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader ESB
    2. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader ROTJ
    3. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader ANH
    4. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan ROTS
    5-7. Mace Windu vs. Palpatine/Yoda vs. Palpatine/Duel of the Fates tied
    8. Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Dooku ROTS
    9. Qui-Gon vs. Maul
    10. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous
    11. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku AOTC
    12. Yoda vs. Dooku AOTC

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As a spectacle I'd go with Qui Gon / Obiwan / Maul.

For intensity and impact within the story I'd go with Luke / Vader in TESB. The atmosphere in that carbon chamber is unbelievable.

For emotion, Luke / Vader / Emperor in ROTJ.

The silliest would have to be the implausible lava surfing of ROTS and the hyperactive mosquito v Dooku duel in AOTC.

But my favourite overall is Vader v Obiwan in ANH. The minimalist, no frills presentation of that duel continues to have me enthralled. No extraneous acrobatics or video game special effects. Simply man v man.

Sarge likes this.