main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite EU Author

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, May 8, 2001.

?

Favorite EU Author

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. R. A. Salvatore

10.7%
  2. Mike Stackpole

36.4%
  3. James Luceno

10.0%
  4. Kathy Tyers

10.0%
  5. Greg Keyes

2.1%
  6. Michael Reeves

2.1%
  7. Jude Watson

1.4%
  8. Aaron Allston

19.3%
  9. Kevin Anderson

5.0%
  10. Dan Wallace

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSpade

DarthSpade Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It's funny, really. I saw Ghengis's name as the polls creator, and I briefly wondered if he might omit Zahn. "Nah," said I (foolishly). I opened the poll, voted for Alliston, and then checked to see the results. And ye mighty Gods and little fishs, no Zahn on the poll. Ah, but my heart swells in sympathy for Ghengis, because despite his best efforts, Zahn is still in the lead. The best laid plans of mice and men... ;)

2. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    This is tough my vote is tied with Zahn and Stackpole, but then Allston and Crispin and keyes are still in competition for the first spot.

However since Zahn isn't on the poll, I'd vote vote for Stackpole.

3. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Update :

#1 Zahn (16)
    #2 Stackpole (9)
    #3 Allston (7)
    #4 Luceno (6)
    #5 Tyers (5)
    #6 Salvatore (4)
    #7 Others (except Watson) (1)
    #11 Watson (0)

5. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Of the choices here, i would have to say Aaron Allston.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Technically, everone voting for zhan or others not on that list are cheating, ;). By the rules set down by ghengis from the limited list, he could make using that program.

One more thing I noticed, was everyone above on the poll are people who wrote stories or are confirmed to write stories for the new generation of EU. In places like NJO, prequel books, jedi apprentice, or Gamer magazine.

Zahn, or crispen isn't eligible for new generation writers because he hasn't written anything in any of those sources yet. Neither is Brian Daley, may he rest in peace, :(.

7. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    I voted for Stackpole cause he is losing his hair

8. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    I also voted for Stackpole.

9. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    Zahn.

But of the ones listed Stackpole.

10. anakin_e

anakin_e Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm gonna say this, and get flamed for it: "I did not, and do not, like Timothy Zahn."

Sorry, just my opinion.

11. jeedai_knight

jeedai_knight Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    I really really enjoyed the han solo books from A.C Crispin.

12. JadenSkywalker

JadenSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Kathy Tyers

13. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Why is Mr. Zahn not on the poll

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    YDD...
    "Why is Mr. Zahn not on the poll"

The same can be said of why aren't the Davids' on the poll, why isn't Barbara Hambly on the poll...why aren't ALL Star Wars authors on the poll? Simply there wasn't enough room. The people who are on the poll are those who are extremely important to the EU. Fans can find all of their books on the bookshelves right now and they're the most relevent to the EU right now.

It's pretty funny to see people asking for one author (probably their favorite) but not another. Simply, there was not enough room to include all possible choices - so only the best choices were given. I should note that opinions of "best" will probably differ from person to person.

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I honestly thought Timothy Zahn was not included because he was the one who worked the closest with Lucas himself: his Thrawn trilogy *is* what Episodes VII, VII, and IX would have been if Lucas had chosen to make them. Looking at the script annotations, Lucas's comments in interviews, and the free rein Zahn was given, it was pretty clear to me that this is the case.

That being said, the only thing EU that Zahn could be said to have contributed would be the Hand of Thrawn duology, which just isn't that great, so I could see why he's not on the poll.

Frankly Stackpole and Allston's work on the X-Wing series has added more to the Star Wars milieu than any other author I have read yet: better developement of the other characters, and more of the "little people's" stories: not the galactic movers and shakers like Leia and Luke, but the warriors who follow the orders and do the job. Admittedly, I have not read the whole thing: there are some ninety novels alone, not to mention uncountable comics... I have read maybe half of the books: none of the YJK, or JA series, and I've only just finished Vector Prime and am getting started on Ruin.

If Zahn is not to be considered a canon author for his close collaboration with Lucas, then he would get my vote for best author in the EU. As it stands, Allston makes me laugh, and his scenes stick with me better than most other authors, so that's the button I clicked.

*Derisa*

16. Dark_Luke

Dark_Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2001
    Anyone but Salvatore. He killed Chewie, and started the worst set of books yet in the STAR WARS universe! Tim Zahn does deserve credit for restarting SW, but his books were dry and lacked action. Especcialy his new ones, Spectre/Vision. They really sucked. Mike S all the way! Go X-wing series!!!!

17. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    MAS Kicks ASS!!

//just read union for third time hehe

and I love I, Jedi, best novel ever.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "I honestly thought Timothy Zahn was not included because he was the one who worked the closest with Lucas himself: his Thrawn trilogy *is* what Episodes VII, VII, and IX would have been if Lucas had chosen to make them. Looking at the script annotations, Lucas's comments in interviews, and the free rein Zahn was given, it was pretty clear to me that this is the case."

Wrong, Your oppinions really mean nothing, look at the facts:

KJA or veitch can be said to have the closest working relationship with lucas. Dark Empire is very similer to the lost idea for the sequel trilogy, that will never be made(which element's of made it into ROTJ). The idea was luke would go out find his jedi apprenctices and take out emperor palpatine for the last time. This is pretty much what happened in dark empire trilogy. The series was enjoyed by lucas, so much that he gave out copies of the comics to his employees for christmas(according to dan wallace). The audio drama versions are nearly movies as good at the original. With two returning actors playing there parts they played in previous spots. Billy Dee williams playing land. nick jameson(emperor in several lucasarts products) returned to play the emperor again.

KJA directly contacted, Lucas for ideas for his JAT and other books, for ideas about jedi powers and such. It was lucas himself that gave KJA the idea of the sith spirit. KJA didn't know what sith was before lucas told him. There was a bunch more in those conversations KJA talked about in his interviews. But I don't have access to the interviews anymore. Maybe ghengis or someone else can help you out.

"That being said, the only thing EU that Zahn could be said to have contributed would be the Hand of Thrawn duology, which just isn't that great, so I could see why he's not on the poll."

Yes it is my least favorite zahn series, as well.

"If Zahn is not to be considered a canon author for his close collaboration with Lucas, then he would get my vote for best author in the EU."

Zahn did not have a very close collaboration with lucas. Infact, it's shown to be completely opposite in several of his interviews. For one He said he his view of the force would be totally destroyed, if for instance jedi were using superspeed or other over uses of power. What we see in TPM, contradicted his books, and his view on the force. Zahn also said he was contradicted in many other ways. Did zahn ever talk to lucas? Yes, but not nearly to the same length or level that KJA had a chance too. Are Zahn's books still good, Yes, very. But contininuity glue has and needs to be slapped on in large amounts. If you need direct quotes from Zhan himself, I'm certain Ghengis would be glad to help.

19. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Zahn portrays the Star Wars universe best when writing the EU, so my vote goes to him.

20. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    To offer a bit of perspective on the difficulty of placing Star Wars authors in a poll with only ten positions:

Star Wars authors/writers not in the poll:

Novels (adult, YA, and juvenile)

David Wolverton
    Ryder Wyndham
    Michael Reaves
    Todd Strasser
    Greg Bear
    Anne Crispin
    L. Neil Smith
    Brian Daley
    William Dietz
    Troy Denning
    John Whitman
    Alan Dean Foster
    Steve Perry
    K. W. Jeter
    Paul & Hollace Davis
    Timothy Zahn
    Barbara Hambly
    Vonda McIntyre
    Michael Kube-McDowell
    Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    Roger MacBride Allen
    Nancy Richardson
    Rebecca Moesta
    James Kahn (movie novel)
    Terry Brooks (movie novel)

Essential Guides

Ann Margaret Lewis
    Andy Mangles
    Bill Smith

Comic Books (not listed above)

Tom Veitch
    Darko Macan
    Randy Stradley
    Ron Marz
    Jan Strnad
    Timothy Truman
    John Ostrander
    Pat Mills
    Doug Petrie
    Mike Kennedy
    Henry Gilroy
    Mark Schultz
    Dan Thorsland
    Anthony Daniels
    Jim Woodring
    Archie Goodwin
    John Wagner
    Roy Thomas
    Donald Glut
    Chris Claremont
    Louise Simonson
    Russ Manning
    Terry Austin
    Bruce Jones
    David Michelinie
    Jo Duffy
    Andy Mangles
    Mike Baron

The list isn't quite complete, of course...I haven't listed any short story authors, for example, other than those who fall into other categories, and I'm sure I've missed some book and comic book authors...

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If I were to make a top ten, based on what I percieve as the current popularity and relevency levels, I'd say the top ten would be...

Timothy Zahn
    RA Salvatore
    Mike Stackpole
    Aaron Alliston
    AC Crispen
    Kathy Tyers
    Kevin J. Anderson
    Tom Veitch
    James Luceno
    Alan Dean Foster? Steve Perry? I'm not sure who I'd put in the tenth spot.

22. JM_Corran_Horn

JM_Corran_Horn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    You missed out the king of the EU.

Zahn all the way.

Oh and next time make one of the optiuons other as i'm, not voting if Zahn isn't there.

23. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I found VOTF by Zahn a very good book :D

SOTP was good as well, but was his weakest of 5 books, like to see you write 5 books dammit.

All his books I have enjoyed more then once :D

24. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I liked his Specter/Vision series very much and the lack of action is made up by the nice political games...really I could envision the thoughts and the feelings of the Alien races towards the bothan issue it is an extremly good book and it shows that Star Wars can be more then just Hack n Slash with whiny dialoge :)

in short Zahn is by far the king of the EU

-GrandAdmiralPelleaon

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.